A friend and I would like to pursue these critters in the next month. I have only seen these monkey-like creatures once several years ago in unit 29 and really don't know where to go. Have any of you lucky coues hunters run across 'em this past season and would like to point me in the right direction? gps coordinates are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Doug/RedRabbit

Doug,

There's an area in Unit 36B just off the road into Warsaw Canyon that is literally teeming with coatis. My son and I ran across a flock about 50 a couple years ago, and we saw some nearly every day regardless where we hunted in this same vicinity.

I'm guessing it's about 4-6 miles in on the road and before where the camp that the national guard had in there several years ago. I do recall that hunted the right side of the road, just before it climbs up sort of steep to several tight turns. There's a nice flat area where we camped on the left just before the hill. -TONY

Guest Guest_galiuro mountain man

Go around Angle Orchard on Mt Graham. I have shot a couple there, but have seen tons, literally. I have seen as many as about 200 at one time in the orchard. I shot a couple there with my bow so far. This place is packed with them. It is amazing to see them all in the trees, all over the ground. Just remember, you are only allowed one per year. I would try to get ahold of the owners and ask for permission to hunt there.

GMM

I saw two troupes of them in unit 24A this year. One had 24 and the other I only saw bits and pieces. I hunted the same spot several days later for several days and did not see them again so I wouldn't send you there. I saw hundreds off them in NM in Nov 2002. This was in the Mtns south of Mule Creek. I also saw them in every side canyon off Aravaipa.

Thanks for the info, gentlemen. I wonder why the limit is one per year if they are increasing their range and cause depredation problems. A long weekend of hunting could be like a southern Arizona safari- archery deer, coati, and mearns quail, and maybe coyote and bobcat if the coati respond to varmint calls. I'll let you know how it goes at the end of January.

Good luck on your archery coues hunting.

Doug/RedRabbit

Treestandman

I have never heard of anyone eating them It would be like eating a mixture of dog,cat.monkey, racoon. As far as im concerned I dont think I could unless i was in need for the food. Has anyone tasted it if you have pass it on and let us know how it tastes and I will take your word on it.I do know a spot were i have seen an albino one two times now. I have killed one out of the hundreds ive seen, and if i get the chance at the albino ill take the picture and show everyone.

Ill have to look agian, but i believe its 1 per year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I couldn't find it in the general regs but maybe I don't know what I'm looking for...........probably

Download the PDF and do a search.

3 hours ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I dug this thread up........interested in know if the law has changed at all since 2004 :) all a person needs is a hunting license and they are legal?

From page 58 in the regs:

Sep 1, 2023 - Mar 31, 2024 (3,5,6,7,10,18,21,22,23,24,26,27,29,30,32,86,129)
Open areas Statewide (excluding National Wildlife Refuges and Units 11M, 25M, 26M, and 38M) Coati

Limit is one per calendar year.