Sign in to follow this  
srfrost45

New to hunting. Any tips?

Hey everyone. I have been reading the forums on this website for a while but I just started big game hunting. I am looking for any tips any of you might have for a beginner. I have done lots fo bird hunting and in April I got a Mountian Lion. I got a tag for 36B for the Nov25-Dec1 hunt. Any words of advice would be appreciated. I attached some pics of my Mountain Lion for your viewiong pleasure.

post-5687-0-95305000-1311996220_thumb.jpg

Well, you have come to the right place. There's more knowledge about hunting everyting from spiders to big horn sheep in this forum. Welcome aboard.

Unit-specific details are hard to come by, even if you've contributed a lot here. Lots of people show up, ask for directions to a honey-hole, and never appear again.

If you are serious, want some mentoring, and want to share what you've found, I'm guessing you will find some mentors here, but it will probably come in the form of private messages.

Personally, I know less than nothing about 36B. Good luck.

As was said above, by Coach, you have definitely have come to the right site. Welcome to coueswhitetail and I hope you enjoy the ride. If you haven't already taken a Hunter Safety Course I reccommend you do so. There are alot of good hunters on this site with a ton of experience under their belt and are willing to share it with you. I would suggest looking back through some of the older topics in the discussion forum for alot of good information. Another source of good info is looking at the home page and look at all the listings on the left side of the screen. This is a great start where you will find anything from hunt strategies, where to hunt, to the fundamentals of whitetail hunting and other game animals.

Don't stop there. Look at the store section and you will find many books and videos that can help you get started. I recently got a copy of "Coues Deer" by Duwane Adams and Tony Mandile. I highly reccommend it.

I'm sure you will get alot of tips to help you along and I must say you are off to a good start with that lion. There is alot to learn and it takes years to become a seasonned hunter. It's not always about the biggest or the most but how you conduct yourself in the field in a safe and ethical manner with respect to the game you pursue and respect towards your fellow hunters.

I hope a few of these tips will help you along. I sure would like to see some more pics of that mt lion and maybe you could share the hunt with us. :)

TJ

quit while you're ahead. it's a miserable existance. Lark.

+1!!! <_<

If you must then I would say be patient. Not only during your hunt but also over the next few years while you learn the ins and outs. Be persistent, thourogh, pay attention to detail and take note of any possible clues. Every clue tells a story. Some clues may only give you a letter or two. Some clues give you a sentence. A few will give you a paragraph and fewer yet will give you a whole chapter. The goal is that in the end all the clues will add up to make a book. When you get to the end of the book you should be standing over you harvested game.

Sometimes you just stumble on game but most of the time you have to work very hard for it by piecing the book together using the clues you have available to you.

Thanks Coach. I look forward to learning. Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the hints TJ. I have looked at some of the other topics and there is tons of info. It almost seems like a daunting task to even know where to start. I appreciate your response and look forward to getting the book you mentioned. Sounds like a great read. When I get some time i will pst the whole stopry on the Lion hunt.

Thanks for your thoughts. Good luck to you on oll of your upcoming hunts.

Patience, persistance, patience, knowledge, patience, practice, patience, determination ... have I said patience yet??? Seriously, you need a ton of patience to be a hunter. Also, it can be either inexpensive, or expensive depending on your approach. If you are the type that wants the best and newest toys to help guarantee success, you are going to spend a LOT of money. If you are the type that can leave well enough alone it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Unfortunately, according to my wife I fall into the first category ... :D.

Specifics are hard to come by for any particular unit, usually because folks who know units well have put a lot of time in there and don't want their information to get out and potentially flood their spot with hunters. I do know that unit a bit, having hunted there a few times with a guy who hunts it almost yearly, and there are some good deer in that unit. Spend a lot of time glassing. Those little Coues bucks are ghosts in that terrain. Looking with the naked eye isn't good enough. You'll look at spots and see nothing, when in reality there is something there. The better your glass, the more you will see, but any binos will be better than none for that unit.

Be careful in that neck of the woods ... you are right on the border. Only reason I am not hunting down there much anymore.

Oh yeah ... and Welcome to THE Forum!!!

There are literally deer ALL iver the unit. ANYWHERE youll find deer and bucks.

From the dry well all the way over to Pina Blanca had fires. However it will be very green with the rain and vegetation will still be perfectly suitable for deer.

I drive and scout and look lots between now and the Oct hunt. Shoot me a PM if you want to roam around for a day down there.

Get high, unlike what some will tell you you do not need to be in the middle of no where. Lots of 100-115 deer taken right off the road in the unit. ANy road. ;)

quit while you're ahead. it's a miserable existance. Lark.

I agree quit while your ahead its an expensive hobby and very tough drug to get off of once your addicted, and it forces you to join these CWT forums and share your feelings and emotions , extreme highs and lows with others that understand the pressures your going thru and can sympathize with you and or enjoy your success with you! WE'RE your OUTLET ! :D

This will be my first attempt at Coues. I plan on using a 300 Weatherby Mag with a 4.5x16x44. I love to glass and am looking at getting a set of 10x42 binos.

I am starting to discover the realitty of your statement. I might hit you up for a loan before seasons over. lol. I definately dont want to step on anyones toes and dont expect them to give me all the info they have worked hard to acquire.

Not to worried about the area. I used to work as a Border Patrol Agent so I know what to look for and am fluent in Spanish. Having said that I appreciate the heads up it can get crazy when you come across a group of southerners.

I look forward to the challenge and appreciate your help.

Thanks for the invite Vegas! I have to check with my work boss and my home boss to see if i can get some time off. I will keep you posted.