Sign in to follow this  
daryl_s

Guides

So I have been thinking about how a lion hunter with dogs goes about finding a good starting point. We have some trail cams up and 1, maybe 2 lions have been coming in quite frequently. We are planning to spend some time early this Fall to do some calling in this area. I know that calling in a lion is very difficult, but we are going to give it a shot. We have a lot of different deer coming into this same camera and now some fawns too. There are 2 bucks in particular that have been hanging together all summer. I have a camera a few ridges over that they have been coming to also. July 11th was the last time they came in together. The bigger of the 2 bucks came in 6 or 7 more times between the 11th and the 30th of July, but no sign of his buddy. Makes me wonder if he didn't become lion food. So my point is this, if we try and are unsuccessful at calling in this lion, is it a normal thing to just call an experienced lion hunter with a starting point??? Would any of you that run dogs want to give this a shot??? I will put one of the trail cam pictures up in the trail cam section.

Glad you posted this. I have been wondering the same thing. The deer numbers on one of my cameras have taken a hard fall at the same time pictures of a lion has become a lot more frequent. At one point the lion came in 3 days in a row.

-Tracy

Glad you posted this. I have been wondering the same thing. The deer numbers on one of my cameras have taken a hard fall at the same time pictures of a lion has become a lot more frequent. At one point the lion came in 3 days in a row.

-Tracy

Sounds like a good spot to sit and take a lion. Good luck! :)

TJ

• Like 1

Daryl-

Lions travel an awful lot. The lion could just be in the area for the water and the game concentrated there, but with the rains here now things could change and the lion move to a different area. Good starting places are nice, but most lion hunters have lots of those they hunt anyway. But if you were to call a lion hunter with a fresh kill or a sighting yea they'd show up. Hope this helps.

I just went Lion hunting in April. I shot mine becasue we had a guy call us and let us know he just had a sighting. Thats all we needed and the dogs did the rest. If you have a trail cam and the lions are passing by there Iwould give a guide a call and I bet the dogs could find the scent pretty easily. Lions do travel alot. I have to walk 25 miles to get mine but its worth it, especially if you have some good bucks or doe population in the area tht you dont want to lose. If you need a number for some guys that have been lion hunting for 30+ years shoot me a PM.

25 miles!? Whoa, did you have to buy new boots when you got home?

Andy, this lion has been in the area for a few months now. There are a LOT of deer in this spot, too. Earlier in August we got him on the same camera 3 days in a row. I have been in contact with Jake and emailed him a lot of the pictures. I talked to him specifically because I know you are good friends with him. If he hasn't already, ask him to forward the pictures to you.

That night was the best nights sleep I had in a while. I was sore for 3 days. It was worth it!

Yea LOL 40 lions. I would not call that guy. 40 is nothing. Lark did that in a year with out dogs. Just him and his lion smelling Mule.

Yea LOL 40 lions. I would not call that guy. 40 is nothing. Lark did that in a year with out dogs. Just him and his lion smelling Mule.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You guys kill me!!!!!