Sign in to follow this  
ffjpayne

bear help please

ok so heres the deal i was out deer hunting in 34a and glassed up my 1st bear so i went and got a bear tag (might of got ahead of myself)and they closed the unit the next day, so now id like to go take the family camping mid oct the kids have a 4 day weekend and i would try and find a bear in the mornings. so i was thinking unit 27 that one seems like it has the most bears in it, what i was hoping someone could give me an idea where the bears would be that time a year thanks in advanced jason

If you are looking for a bear in 27, best bet is somewhere nobody is running dogs, water and find a food source.. Grass, berries, oaks, start in low elevation and work your way up.

i love your name.

or some where some one is training there dogs. 3years ago i was in 27 hunting turkeys i met a father and son bear hunting. i then met a fella training his dogs. i then introduced them. they both filled there tags. the area we were in i heard dogs baying all day light hours.

maybe mud springs. i don't know what the pear situation is like. or go up to malay country and glass along the burn. rough road tho. one thing about 27, there's bears. Lark.

sent my buddy up there 2 years ago....

he has no experience but he called in two bears just working the medows near hanegan medow

both had cubs, but he got some really cool photos and video.

he was with his girlfriend so i'm sure he wasn't huntin too hard... lol!

james

Looking for hillsides full of prickly pears is where you start, but you have to find the dense drainages that lead into those areas. Bears love thick stuff, so look at your area from their perspective. They want to warm up in the sun-lit hills and gourge on whatever is around, but they need a place they can bound into if confronted. They like deep, oak covered, steep stuff. They'll venture out for food but always want to have that "safe place" to retreat into.