cardawg

Dumb Newbie Scope Question

I have always closed one eye when shooting thru a Scope,I was at Cabelas today looking at Scopes,and the Guy told me that your supposed to keep both eyes open when you shoot thur a Scope,whats the correct way or is it just what ever you feel fits you best?

I keep both eyes opened shooting my gun and bow and it works great for me. It's simply easier to acquire your target and keep track of it after the shot. However, I'm right eye dominant and shoot right handed. If your left eye dominant and shoot right hand, as previously stated, you'd be better off keeping the left dominant eye closed. Have you ever had a hard time getting your game in the scope? Keeping both eyes opened really helps. Try finding a far away target like a particular rock with your binos. Then try to find it in your scope with one eye closed. Next try it with both eyes opened. Rinse and repeat! It's definately worth trying!!!!

I have always shoot with one eye closed. Can't seem to do it with both eyes open. I found the Double Vision Blocker on Archery Talk and it works very well. I can shoot with both eyes open and to me I feel my sight picture is clearer. I use is on my scope and on by bow sight.

post-1013-0-54469700-1315935152_thumb.jpg

Shooting with both eyes open is a combat technique used for distances shorter than you are likely to encounter while hunting. It provides for better situational awareness. If you have several deer standing next to one another, you could keep both eyes open to ensure a deer doesn't walk into your line of fire, but honestly, in that case you probably should not be taking the shot.

I shoot right handed, but I am left eye dominent. I have to close my left eye in order to shoot.

X2.

I was always told to keep both eyes open. The benifit is that the crosshairs are super-imposed over your free eye if you do it right, but as stated, it does take practice. For me, it boils down to this, pistol and tactical rifle/shotgun=both eyes open. Long range, I usually close my free eye to help me focus. Stick with what you feel comfortable with. Good hunting :)