Thanks for everyone's compliments! Yes we've got him at the butcher and we're planning on giving him a go as table fare. I've never tried eating a lion. Some say it's great and some say don't bother. I figured I'd give it a try and decide for myself.

tam, lion is good stuff, as long as you don't think about eatin' a cat. i've told ya'll about my grandad and his brother trappin' when they were kids. one winter their ol' man packed em off somewhere, seems like in the pinals south of globe. probably like 1913 or so. anyway, they ran into a grizzled ol' trapper and spent a few days camped with him. he said that if they caught a young lion to pack it back to camp to eat. said he loved young lion. that day they had one in a coyote set. they killed it and packed it to camp, skinned it and tossed the hide up in an oak tree and the ol' man cooked em up a bunch. my grandad said it was fine vittles until he looked up in the tree and in the glow o' the campfire, seen the hide hangin' there and realized he was eating a cat. he couldn't choke down another bite. Lark.

p.s. it makes real good green chili.

Thanks for everyone's compliments!  Yes we've got him at the butcher and we're planning on giving him a go as table fare.  I've never tried eating a lion.  Some say it's great and some say don't bother.  I figured I'd give it a try and decide for myself.

We cooked a mountain lion I shot by burying it Mexican-style in a mesquite-fired pit, and it was good. But I think you could barbecue an old boot that way and it would be tasty. When I shot my lion in Zambia I had the camp's cook fix the backstraps for me. It tasted just like ... mountain lion! Everyone else in camp thought I was crazy. Cat meat is white, incidentally.

BillQ

Thanks for everyone's compliments!? Yes we've got him at the butcher and we're planning on giving him a go as table fare.? I've never tried eating a lion.? Some say it's great and some say don't bother.? I figured I'd give it a try and decide for myself.

We cooked a mountain lion I shot by burying it Mexican-style in a mesquite-fired pit, and it was good. But I think you could barbecue an old boot that way and it would be tasty. When I shot my lion in Zambia I had the camp's cook fix the backstraps for me. It tasted just like ... mountain lion! Everyone else in camp thought I was crazy. Cat meat is white, incidentally.

BillQ

White meat is right...Just throw it over some mesquite and juniper coals with some of your favorite seasoning and dont over cook it B) Alot of people say it taste just like pork, but I like to think of it as tender as chickin and tasty as beef...A buddy of mine who use to pack mules up into the rincons for the gov. was a long time trapper as well. He learned a long time ago from the old time trappers that lion was better eatin than deer....Kinda like Lark said posted about the old trapper. Lion meat is good eatin. Or at least I think so ;)

Oh man that was a fun hunt! Tim was a heck of a sport too.

Tracker, we don't hunt bears with them anymore, just lions. Dad used to hunt bears A LOT back in the 60's thru the mid 80's but it was always too hard on his dogs so he gave that up and stuck with the lions. He never did the "rigging" thing, always just cold trailed on the edges of canyons, big drainages and always come up the bottoms of canyons. Funny story.... One time in unit 8 in the early 80's we were all camped on the side of a main road with a huge dead bear hanging in a tree, (this is at night) a group of bear hunters stopped on the road to have a chat with us. These guys had the whole "rig" set up with the dog on the hood and all. We all talked for about a 1/2 hour and none of those dogs barked and that bear was hanging 30 yards from them. Hope they didn't pay too much for those dogs.... LOL!

I think I like lion meat better than deer meat too.

One of my old teacher's kid shot a lion up on Mount Ord last year. He brought some of the meat in for a BBQ we were having. I couldn't believe how it tasted.

So did you like it BASS?

Hey Tam,

You said 18a, Just being nosy again, but I drove up on a big ol' tom near the Plant,

just before elk season. Was it anywhere near there. If it was, I feel for the dogs, the rocks have got to be heck on their feet. Again congrats, you saved some deer and piggies down there.

Muley,

I'm not trying to avoid your question, but I'm not going to be much help. I have no Idea where or what the "Plant" is? I live in Gilbert and don't spend much time in that country. In fact that's the first time I've hunted in that unit and to be honest I probably won't be back anytime soon. Not that the hunting is bad or anything, I just have other units that I focus on.