I took my "babies" out for their first big hike today. These little fellas were born 2 years ago and are now old enough to start to pack gear. However, I'm going a little slower with them and didn't even saddle them up. They have been on hikes before from their corral but today I loaded them up in the back of the truck and drove up to about 7,000 ft. and hiked in from there. They did pretty good with 2 doing better than the other 2. I didn't put any lead ropes on them and they followed right along with out any problems.

L1000696crp.jpg

L1000700crp.jpg

L1000692crp.jpg

These boys are all nuetered billies and were all bottle raised so they are very easy to work with. Once I get them up to speed they should work out very well.

Scott

That middle photo looks alittle Biblical :P

How much weight will each goat be able to carry?

Scott

that is an interesting way to pack gear. Is that a leg band on the rear leg in the last picture.

Nice pictures

Goat packing, huh. My old welding teacher does that a lot. I think he has three goats that he uses to pack all of his gear in too. Sounds like a lot of fun, very cool photos.

I was waiting for this. Some of the best reads of last year to me were of your goat trips. thanks for doing it again. It looks like you got a good crop coming up for you.

Wow! That is way cool. Do you ever have any problems with "lions"? Or have you ever noticed any lion tracks around your camps? I'm really interested in how you lead them. You stated that "no lead ropes", do you usually use them? Great set of pictures... I raised a goat once and he was the coolest critter, was a little rough but really was joy to be around with. Thanx for sharing.

Ernest

Very nice pictures!!

I was wondering if you could use pack goats in areas with bighorn sheep? I know that domestic sheep can pass diseases on to the bighorns, and I thought goats also could. How much weight can a full grown goat pack?

Hey Scott-

Be sure to call me when you take them on their first pack trip and a lion comes in at night and wipes em all out, LOL.

Just kidding, hope that never happens, they have to be easier to handle than mules anyway. LB

Scott, do you do pack trips with them horned mules???

Seeing that,....

If I did not have a HOA I would definetely get a goat for packing.

Dan