Sign in to follow this  
kaibabkiller

Kehls first deer!!

The scouting started 3 weeks ago with us glassing up good deer and having a great time. We planned on getting up to the area on Thursday afternoon but was suprised to find out that we could make it up early. So Wednesday we found ourselves glassing the same canyons that had weeks previous held bucks, but didn't see any bucks only does.

Thursday ended up mostly the same, great numbers of does(35) only one spike(250 yds. from camp). Along came the 21st and with it opening day, and more does. Then Saturday came, more does! By the end of daylight on Saturday we had glassed 61 Coues does and 1 spike! I was starting to get upset and Kehl was getting discouraged. My father made it up Saturday and with him came luck! We woke up early Sunday morning made coffee and some breakfast and hit the hilltop. After 2 hours behind the glass my father walked to the next cut to see if he could see the quail that had been calling since daybreak. He stood there for about five minutes and then a deer popped up! "DEER! DEER!" he quietly hollared to us, Kehl grabbed his .308 and I grabbed the scope. We covered the 40 yds. in no time, I put the scope on the deer and said "SPIKE"! Kehl put one in the chamber as I was removing the spotter from the tripod, he rested the gun, pulled it tight to his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. BOOM! Missed just over the deer. RELOAD! Take a deep breath, exhale and squeeze. BOOM! the deer kicked, came up on its hind legs and fell down the canyon! After high-fives and hugs Kehl and I went to recover his deer. Im very proud of him he didnt complain when it was 90 degrees and we werent seeing any bucks and he had ice in his veins when it was time to make the shot.

post-4096-0-81240200-1319491794_thumb.jpg

post-4096-0-57954400-1319491829_thumb.jpg

That is awesome. Congrats on your first deer Kehl!

Way to go Kehl!! Some pretty tasty cuts there.

Good job Kehl! Way to hang in there and get your buck! Congratulations!!!

The scouting started 3 weeks ago with us glassing up good deer and having a great time. We planned on getting up to the area on Thursday afternoon but was suprised to find out that we could make it up early. So Wednesday we found ourselves glassing the same canyons that had weeks previous held bucks, but didn't see any bucks only does.

Thursday ended up mostly the same, great numbers of does(35) only one spike(250 yds. from camp). Along came the 21st and with it opening day, and more does. Then Saturday came, more does! By the end of daylight on Saturday we had glassed 61 Coues does and 1 spike! I was starting to get upset and Kehl was getting discouraged. My father made it up Saturday and with him came luck! We woke up early Sunday morning made coffee and some breakfast and hit the hilltop. After 2 hours behind the glass my father walked to the next cut to see if he could see the quail that had been calling since daybreak. He stood there for about five minutes and then a deer popped up! "DEER! DEER!" he quietly hollared to us, Kehl grabbed his .308 and I grabbed the scope. We covered the 40 yds. in no time, I put the scope on the deer and said "SPIKE"! Kehl put one in the chamber as I was removing the spotter from the tripod, he rested the gun, pulled it tight to his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. BOOM! Missed just over the deer. RELOAD! Take a deep breath, exhale and squeeze. BOOM! the deer kicked, came up on its hind legs and fell down the canyon! After high-fives and hugs Kehl and I went to recover his deer. Im very proud of him he didnt complain when it was 90 degrees and we werent seeing any bucks and he had ice in his veins when it was time to make the shot.

kehl congratlation on your first BUCK.That smile you had on our face was from ear to ear.

We were the couple that drove up to you in the ranger.

Hunter it was nice to meet you.We worked that area over real hard and never saw the buck with the small drop that i told you about he is still in there.

Kehl once again a great job.

Great Job!!! I love these young hunters, and the parents that take the time to educate and have the patients to take the young ones out. We were there right after the kill and this little boy was so excited, was great to see. Love this sport and the sportsmanship that goes along withit. We have been glassing the same mountains for the last 3 months and have seen some really great bucks there. But like you said they were gone opening morning. We hiked several different places but only does. We hunt this same mountain range everyear and have taken some awesome trophies home. This year the mountain keeps it's trophies for the next hunters. We had our 5 year old granddaughter with us and she loves it. We had her hiking the mountains with us with no complaining she comes everyear, she said her papa needed to get one becaue she was hungry!!!LOL The heat was ridiculous for hunting and the rattle snakes had us on our toes, but overall just getting out in the peace and quite of the outdoors is wonderful. Congradulations again on a Great Job!!!!! Well done

These are the pictures of the buck my son killed on the mountain that I showed you he climbed up last yearpost-4964-0-37224800-1319604937_thumb.jpgpost-4964-0-62229400-1319604985_thumb.jpgpost-4964-0-14183400-1319605025_thumb.jpg

Great Job!!! I love these young hunters, and the parents that take the time to educate and have the patients to take the young ones out. We were there right after the kill and this little boy was so excited, was great to see. Love this sport and the sportsmanship that goes along withit. We have been glassing the same mountains for the last 3 months and have seen some really great bucks there. But like you said they were gone opening morning. We hiked several different places but only does. We hunt this same mountain range everyear and have taken some awesome trophies home. This year the mountain keeps it's trophies for the next hunters. We had our 5 year old granddaughter with us and she loves it. We had her hiking the mountains with us with no complaining she comes everyear, she said her papa needed to get one becaue she was hungry!!!LOL The heat was ridiculous for hunting and the rattle snakes had us on our toes, but overall just getting out in the peace and quite of the outdoors is wonderful. Congradulations again on a Great Job!!!!! Well done

These are the pictures of the buck my son killed on the mountain that I showed you he climbed up last yearpost-4964-0-37224800-1319604937_thumb.jpgpost-4964-0-62229400-1319604985_thumb.jpgpost-4964-0-14183400-1319605025_thumb.jpg

That's a smoker buck!! That mountain is killer country, my 60 year old dad got the fever and went climbing all over it.Well at least you still have Dec. archery. At'll see ya up there in Jan. It was a pleasure meeting you all.