Sign in to follow this  
rclouse79

36c opening day buck

post-3890-0-02039500-1319572889_thumb.jpg

I had hiked up and down a couple of good climbs opening day and ended up at a spot I had never been with an hour of light left. It was a rock outcropping on a ridge that had close to a 100 ft vertical drop before hitting a steep slope. I found a nice little flat spot to sit and watch. I was tired of hiking and sweating and decided to stay put until dark. I was watching some does on the other side of the hill 600 yards away. I was just thinking that I didn’t really like the spot when I looked straight down and saw 2 does coming out of some cover. Something in front of them caused them to be on alert. I glassed the area they were looking towards and instantly saw a buck 200 yards away. It is always a magical feeling to see one when you have been looking at does all day and have convinced yourself there are no bucks in the area. I went to grab my gun and bumped my tripod which made a metal clinking noise. When I relocated the deer they were booking it up the other side of the draw. I saw where they were headed and decided to hike along the rim of the big bowl until I was above the draw. I was kicking myself the whole walk over for getting too excited and not being careful.

It probably took me 20 minutes to hike over there. I raised my binoculars and instantly saw a buck frozen and staring in my direction. The sight shocked me as I was not actually expecting to locate them again before dark. I ranged him at 300 yards. The spot I was on was pretty steep, and not an ideal setup for a shot. I probably fiddled around for a couple of minutes, and ended up in a semi-prone position. I had to have my feet almost pointing towards the barrel because it was too steep to lay behind the rifle. It felt awkward, but the crosshairs were nice and steady. I put the 300 yard mark on my rapid z recticle a touch low to account for the downhill angle and let her rip. I saw the buck jump in the air right after I shot.

I knew daylight was running out so I hurried down to the spot where the buck stood with high hopes. I used my rangefinder back up the hill to where I shot from to make sure I was at 300 yards. I looked down and found blood almost instantly. It was a relief to see him piled up a few yards away. The shot went through his left shoulder and exited his belly right between his rear legs. He is not a monster but he is my best one yet and I was happy with him. I might think twice again before shooting a deer on top of a mountain 2 miles from my truck at dusk. It took me an hour to take care of the deer and get it on my pack and 2 ½ more hours to waddle back to my truck. Although it kicked my butt it was worth it.

great job!

thanks for sharing!

james

Congrats! Had to work for it... good job and a great memory, it'll make him taste that much better

Congrats Mr Clouse!! I had the same tag and yesterday was the only day i could go out and i saw a few deer one nice 3x3 but i came in early due to running into some drug smugglers! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: i hate them