Sign in to follow this  
Viper

My first 100"+ buck

I posted the story (short version) and pics previous. I now have the rack at home and am attempting to measure it using Amanda's spreadsheet. The only measurement that is not straight forward to me is the right side between G2 and G3, because it is palmated. How do you measure this? Same as the normal side? See attached pic.

post-2983-0-17565000-1320117572_thumb.jpg

Measure as if the palmations are not there.

The length measurement is taken to where the tine would meet the main beam normally.

Correct me anyone if i am wrong. This is the way I have understood it to be true and have seen many bucks scored this way.

The length measurement is taken to where the tine would meet the main beam normally.

Correct me anyone if i am wrong. this is the way I have understood it to be true and have seen many bucks scored this way.

I was afraid you'd say that. That will be a huge deduction. :(

Gross score RULES!!

;)

That's our rule in camp. So, gross score is 111 1/8. With deductions is 107 2/8.

Correct me anyone if i am wrong. this is the way I have understood it to be true and have seen many bucks scored this way.

I was afraid you'd say that. That will be a huge deduction. :(

yea that might result in deductions when compared to the other side but you are going to pick up extra length on the measurement of the g2 and g3 by doing it the way Chef says to.

The way I've always understood it is that the way it was mentioned above to measure it would be double scoring the antler, which is wrong. You draw your lines from the lower left side of the G2 up to the lowest spot in between the points where you would take that mass measurement. For the G3 you start at that same point and measure to the lower right hand side of it. You gain more score from the bigger circumference, if you cut the points down to the main beam, ignoring the palmation, then you're double scoring antler and that's not the right way.

Here's a pic of a shed I have that falls into nearly the same situation. I drew lines on the antler so you could see where the proper measurement locations should be taken. On a side note, this way of measuring is not correct when scoring non-typical points, those you do measure further down on the beams cause there isn't a circumference to be had at that location.... mostly.

post-3-0-87621400-1320420285_thumb.jpg

If by chance you think you're side is a 2pt with a cheater coming out of the webbing and not off the beam per say, then you would take the measurement like this...

post-3-0-30961600-1320420972_thumb.jpg

You would gain more tine length cause now you're cutting the point at the beam but now you lose that circumference and have to take a double circumference halfway from the center of the G2 to the end of the beam.

Hope that helps and if I'm wrong then let Den-Mother Amanda correct me.

Thanks for clearing that up Josh.

Talk about confusing though!

Once I think I have things figured out I find out I'm just as lost.

So basically,you gain mass measurements but lose tine length measurements? (you can't have both)

Thanks for clearing that up Josh.

Talk about confusing though!

Once I think I have things figured out I find out I'm just as lost.

So basically,you gain mass measurements but lose tine length measurements? (you can't have both)

HA!!! Ya you're sorta losing tine length but not really. I think they sort of make an even wash in the long run. I've never done the math to see which way works out better but I do understand how they call it double measuring. I guess I should clarify that if this were to happen in a spot where you're past the point on the beam to which you'd be taking a circumference then you'd draw your lines off the beams and not the points. Hope that clears things up. There's probably a paragraph on the B&C instruction manual that might even clarify it better than I've tried here but I'm to lazy to look that up.