Sign in to follow this  
prowlerMan

.270 vs .308

WBY- does it sound like he would pay the $$$ for nosler ammo? 308nut - the reason MIchael can write that stuff is because he has literally worn out several 308s getting that knowledge. i was hunting bear in 4a today. the snow is deep and colder than alaska. prowler- if you go to rifleman journal you find that the 30-06 is a very good long range cartridge. of course there are virtually no factory guns and no factory ammo competing. get a sendero in the caliber of your choice. or get a remington 5-r 300 wm.

Ron, LOL!! That is freakin hilarious!!!!!!! Dont you know??? It is impossible to wear out a 308.

You have'nt figured this out yet have you??!! :P

BTW, I am sending my current 308 barrel to my smith to be set back 1-1/2" and have 1/2" cut off the muzzle. I guess you could say that I have worn out another 308.

Thank-you everyone for your responses! I have chosen to go with a .300 WM and learn how to handload. What kind of powder does everyone recommend or is it a trial process to find out which one shoots best? Thank-you!

A lot of trial and error. H-1000 would be on the top of my list. Retumbo may give you a little more velocity, but with a larger extreme spread. That is what I've found with my loads. I've never loaded for a 300WM, but most of my other magnum cartridges like it.

308nut - the reason MIchael can write that stuff is because he has literally worn out several 308s getting that knowledge.

:unsure:

:o

:D

Ron, Michael Eichele on longrangehunting.com just sent you a friend request.

:)

Prowler- i have loaded for my two 300 wm, and several other buddies' sendero 300wm. i have it to be a very forgiving round to load for. only the 222 and 308 are EASIER to find a good load for.

My 2 cents for what it is worth. My Ruger .300 Win Mag. shoots very well with H4831 or RL 22 and 180 gr. Barnes TSX. I prefer the RL 22 because it works well in 3 of my rifles. I agree that this cartridge is very forgiving. RL 22 is also the best performing powder in my Ruger.270 Win with the 130 gr. Barnes TSX.

Do you guys find that RL22 is temp sensitive? I would like to try it in my 7MAG but H1000 has been so consistent at all temps.

I'll gladly give up a few FPS with the H1000 if it means not having to rework the loads every summer / winter.

I haven't found R22 too bad temp wise. Looking at my chrongraph records for my .270 130 grainers I'm seeing maybe 40fps loss from 100 degrees down to 50 degrees.

My favorite .300 WM load for 168s is H4350 loaded to 3150 FPS. Not the worlds fasted but extremely accurate. H4350 is a very temp insensitive powder.

Thank-you everyone for your responses! I have chosen to go with a .300 WM

good choice ! but since you plan on handloading why not go with 300 wby , it will even shoot 300 win in a pinch .