Sign in to follow this  
Joe Kauffman

Garrett scores a nice last day Mulie..

For the second year in a row my wife and son drew rifle deer tags together and this past weekend we headed out for a few days of hunting to see if we could locate some quality bucks. Friday morning we focused on the big buck country that is extremely thick with both juniper and manzanita but were able to catch a look at a buck I would put in the 30" wide range....but he's that big for a reason. Shortly after seeing him he snuck away into the thick, never to be seen again. We finished of the rest of the morning and evening hunts cussing all the Coues deer and smaller bucks hoping Saturday would bring a couple big boys into range.

We decided to head to another spot that was a bit more open but required about 3 miles of hiking to reach. Our hopes were the rugged terrain would substitute the thick vegetation and still hold a couple shooter bucks. We immediately glassed up about a 380 bull and a couple in the 340-360 range (guess where I'm putting in for elk next year!) but saw nothing but a few Coues does and 2 nice Coues bucks.

Sunday was the last day we would have to hunt so we headed to our third spot and were immediately into the Mulies. Even though they were only does it was nice to see Mulies instead of Coues for a change. The wind had picked up a bit shortly after daylight so we headed to one of my favorite mountains to glass the draws and canyons leading off of it hoping to find some deer moving into the wind protected areas to finish feeding before the mid day bedding. Within 20 minutes I glassed up this shooter at about 600 yards and the stalk was on.

Moving through the think manzanita again, we made our way around the hillside we were on to stay hidden and drop lower to eventually come up hill towards the buck. We would pause around each tree that exposed new country so I could glass and see if we were upon them yet and about the 10th time I picked the buck and doe up at 297 yards.

Although Garrett has practiced shooting long range at the range, he hasn't taken a field shot over 225 yards so I left the decision up to him as to whether he was confident he could make a clean shot at that distance and the look on his face said it all. I set up the shooting sticks, took a step back and let him control his shot without the pressure of Dad look over his shoulder. He squeezed the trigger and made a perfect double lung shot on this beauty buck. The buck crumbled where he stood....now was the fun of getting this massive bodied buck back to the Ranger.

At 14 years old, he's become an incredible hunter and really showed great patience and ethics on this hunt. Great shot Bud, I had a blast hunting with you again this year!

post-1236-0-33144700-1320445173_thumb.jpg

post-1236-0-76377900-1320445180_thumb.jpg

Joe Kauffman

Nice job! What a great buck. I bet Garrett was on cloud-nine for days! Congrats, and way to get another young hunter hooked for life!

Way to go Garrett. Congrats again on another buck. Way to go Joe on getting your family out to hunt. I was wondering if you guys drew some good tags this year. I have not been on the prospecting sites in a long time.

Great job Garrett! That's a neat looking buck, way to go!!!

Thanks all. There's just nothing like being out chasin' game with the family. My brother came down to 21 with me this past weekend to help glass on my mulie hunt and, besides the bone chilling weather Friday night, we had a great time. Thanks again for driving all this way to hoof the mountains we tackled. Had a blast!

Jade, I was wondering what happened to you, good hearing from you again. Hope all is well with you and the family.

Joe