Leadsled

best bang for the buck

I interested in getting a pair of Big eye binos the vortex kaibabs are out of my price range I am looking to spend 600-650. I have been looking into the 15x56 minox as well as the 15x50 vortex viper HD but havent made a decision as of yet. :unsure:

I interested in getting a pair of Big eye binos the vortex kaibabs are out of my price range I am looking to spend 600-650. I have been looking into the 15x56 minox as well as the 15x50 vortex viper HD but havent made a decision as of yet. :unsure:

I'm in the same boat and would love to hear some reviews!

My hunting partner has Doctor 15x60 he is thinking of selling. Probably in the $600 range.

Just stopped by Second Amendment Sports on my lunch break and looked through some Kaibabs and Vipers. There is definitely a difference, but for the price I don't think you can go wrong with the Vipers. They are surprisingly light, too. Unfortunately, they didn't sell Minox...

I used the 15x50 Vipers for years and loved them. I sold a pair of 15x60 Docters and a pair of 15x50 Vipers to get some Kaibabs. The Docter's are great but they are big, heavy and aren't worth a dang if you wear glasses. Buy a set of 15x50 Vipers and you will get great use of them and then move up when the budget allows. For a long time I used a Slik Sprint tripod with a Slik ball head(bought from Jim White) but once I moved up the the heavier Kaibabs I was not happy with the tripod so I moved up to panhead! Heavy binos like the Docters or Minox 15x56 require more stability IMO. I hear the new HD's are nice!!!

PS. I loaned my Vipers my brother, hes lives in Wyo, he called me on a WED and said he could not get the Vipers to focus and he was headed hunting SAT. I called Vortex and they were going to overnight out a loaner pair so he had some 15's for his hunt. Turns out he didn't know how to adjust the diapter :) Vortex service is great.

Jim White is a Vortex dealer you might give him a call

For what its worth you might check out Brunton Eterna 15x51's on Ebay. I had them for a back up pair, they were not as good as the Vipers but they are around $300 shipped to your door. Great service too!!!

I had the vipers for a year sold them and bought the kaibabs. There was quite a difference I thought between the two. My Pentax DCF-SP 12.5X50's were brighter and clearer than the vipers (also something to consider they are great bins for the cost!!) however I have not tried the viper HD's yet. From what I heard they are very good and worth the money. Like I said you might want to look at the DFC-SP's, I found LOTS of deer with them on my tripod and could then wear them around my neck. Now I have to carry both the kaibabs and the Pentax when I go out.

I just got viper 15x50 hd.. So far they are really clear and bring in a lot of light compared to my 10 monarchs.. I have only used them in town but dont thing I will be disappointed out in the field!! Sportsmans has a sale till Sunday witch they pay the sals tax for you.. So got binos and 270 bullets for 689. With tax ot woulda been 750 I think so saved a little there

I have swaro 15x56's, and one of my hunting buddies has the minox 15x58's (not the 56's). I have sat behing both pairs on tripods many early mornings and late evenings... I can't say that the swaro's are worth all that extra money or not.

The minox 58's are great glass... with no disclaimer about the price. Just flat out good glass. If the 56's are like the 58's, I would recommend them to anyone.

Really impressed with the Vortex Kaibabs. Awesome coues glass, best warranty out there. Plan on getting a tripod adapter from Outdoorsmans, we bent 3 vortex adapters opening weekend.

Both Vortex and Minox optics are nice but the Vortex are about half the size and weight.

My 2 cents

Maybe when comparing against the Vipers, but the Minox BL 15x56 BR's are definitely lighter than the Kaibab's. Finally got to look through some and I have to say, I may be leaning that way...

If you are a big guy and don't mind the extra weight, find a pair of Minox 15x58ED's (discontinued) ... you can probably get them for under $500 used. I ended up with those due to a money crunch, and I won't ever give them up. Great glass for the money spent.

If you are a big guy and don't mind the extra weight, find a pair of Minox 15x58ED's (discontinued) ... you can probably get them for under $500 used. I ended up with those due to a money crunch, and I won't ever give them up. Great glass for the money spent.

Looking for a pair now...