Sign in to follow this  
Tines

TLO Coues deer hunts!!

After finishing up with the Kaibab hunts we had the opportunity to tag along on a few leftover tags. As most have mentioned already, the October hunt was HOT and the first few days of the first November hunt was WINDY! Either way, it was good times all around and here's a few pictures to share. Hope everyone enjoys! Quite a few pictures and stories to share so I'll try to sum it up as best as I can.

Opening morning sunrise.

post-500-0-95250900-1321124432_thumb.jpg

Lance standing next to some water bottles left for the illegals by the "humanitarians".

post-500-0-19285300-1321124327_thumb.jpg

I will say that in 6 days of hunting, not one illegal was seen. BP or somebody is doing their job.

Did I mention the weather was bad?? This was a crazy mist being blown in. It almost felt like we were hunting near the coast.

post-500-0-59182500-1321124444_thumb.jpg

There's always great food in a TLO camp. We had Tri-tip, bacon wrapped dove/shrimp/jalepeno, seasoned whole chickens (split), baked potatoes and much more. Thanks to Ben's father, Jeff, for much of that!!

post-500-0-90684400-1321124512_thumb.jpg

First hunter is Luke. Luke and I had just a couple of days to hunt during the October hunt. Luke is a blast to hunt with! He's taken a couple of Coues bucks with us. He's pretty dang lethal and LOVES venison so keeping him off the trigger is work in and of itself. Ha! So it was a good thing we found a good buck for him on the first day.

After a slow morning, we finally found two bucks running together at about 9am. The bucks were a tad more than 500yds. Luke was shooting my rifle and both are capable of making the shot. But I've made a pact with myself to do everything I can to get as close as possible. I really felt we could cut the distance close to half of that. We watched both bucks lay down so we then bailed off the point to a ridge just in front of the bucks. We get there to find the bucks in the same spot. The distance was now 240yds. The grass was pretty tall so laying prone with the bipod wasn't an option. Luke felt pretty good about this rest.

post-500-0-56222900-1321125341_thumb.jpg

We felt like we could sneak a bullet through the branches but our first shot nailed one, of course! The buck stood up and walked out of the top of the tree but stopped to give us a second shot. Luke made it count and the buck dropped in his tracks. Here's Luke with his biggest Coues buck to date, a 3x3 with some extras!!

post-500-0-63625300-1321125014_thumb.jpg

post-500-0-10137200-1321124996_thumb.jpg

Next is Ben. This was Ben's first deer hunt. Due to school obligations, he only had 3 days to hunt. He took two tom turkey's with TLO in NM this past spring and although he's quiet, he's a really fun kid to be around. The first part of this hunt was tough. The wind blew hard! Bucks were found but nothing came together until his 3rd (and last) day of hunting. Here's Ben set up on a buck on the 2nd evening but light faded faster than we'd hoped. Either way, the weather was predicted to be better the next morning and it was.

post-500-0-83701300-1321124452_thumb.jpg

First thing the next morning we found a good 3 point buck not more than 200yds from where we were glassing. This was Ben when the buck was found so you can imagine how excited he was when 5 seconds later we were saying "SHOOT!!".

post-500-0-99364200-1321126236_thumb.jpg

Well, Ben missed the buck a couple of times and he got away. We continued to glass and later that morning found another buck across the canyon. The buck bedded and the plan was made. Once again, we moved as close as possible and got set up. Here's Ben dry-firing on the buck before the shot is taken. The distance was 375yds.

post-500-0-41639000-1321125361_thumb.jpg

Coaching Ben and teaching him the clicks on the scope.

post-500-0-53971400-1321140597_thumb.jpg

Ben made a great first shot, breaking both front shoulders. The bullet entered a little low but the buck didn't go far and presented Ben with a good follow up opportunity. Thanks for shooting straight, Ben!!

post-500-0-94182900-1321124887_thumb.jpg

post-500-0-41389600-1321124905_thumb.jpg

First Coues stripes

post-500-0-73880700-1321124470_thumb.jpg

Here's what's left of the 110gr Accubond from Ben's buck.

post-500-0-67047200-1321124523_thumb.jpg

Last is Scott. Some of you might recognize Scott from some of our other pictures or videos. This is Scott's 11th hunt with TLO. Scott's become MUCH more than a client over the years. Just like when any of our closest friends draw a tag, we were just as excited to help Scott on this leftover hunt.

After passing on several bucks, we glassed up this buck by himself where not many people, wind OR sun venture into. He was 400yds away. We got set up on him right away but things just weren't right. Lance and Scott moved down to the next point while I stayed back and spotted. The buck moved further down the canyon but with the distance Lance and Scott cut off, the shot was 350yds. With the video camera rolling, I waited for them to set up which didn't take long. The shot rang out and the buck trotted forward with an obvious broken front shoulder. But he only moved about 30yrds and stopped. The bullet entered the should but exited in the front of his chest. Must have been quartered away more than anticipated. This is where Scott gets WAY excited and misses the buck two times! Ha! But Lance manages to get Scott calmed down and he makes a good shot on the buck who goes barreling down into the canyon. This is Scott's first Coues buck and I'm sure won't be his last. Congratulations, bud on a great first buck!!

post-500-0-18131400-1321124932_thumb.jpg

post-500-0-96488200-1321124918_thumb.jpg

First Coues stripes

post-500-0-48419100-1321124490_thumb.jpg

How cool is it that we can still chase Coues deer with a rifle even if we didn't get drawn??

Thanks for enduring!!

Congratulations to you guys on some great bucks and what looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure it was also a bit of work also..... but as we all know that's just part of the pay off. Beautiful bucks!

Some good looking deer. What did the last one tape out at?

Great job guys, way to get it done! Dinner looks great :D

Great post Jake! Thanks bud! :)

Despite the horible weather, we saw several bucks each day and It was a lot of fun making good memories with great people!

Yeah Amanda, lol my pack was pretty heavy at that point! lots of extra gear and deer meat pulling those straps tight and making the feet fall heavy. ;)

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Lance

Ok, great job TLO...nice bucks thanks for the report...we would have made it down but had a schedule conflict with Robert, good job guys.....Bob

Great photos I find it crazy how those water containers always seem to spring leaks somehow. :)

Great photos I find it crazy how those water containers always seem to spring leaks somehow. :)

ha lol. I actually dont think I have ever seen one of those containers of water with any water in them. Sure makes a guy thirsty to see all those big empty bottles of water around! :P

And thanks for the kind words everyone. They are very much appreciated!

Lance

Ok, great job TLO...nice bucks thanks for the report...we would have made it down but had a schedule conflict with Robert, good job guys.....Bob

We're sorry you couldnt make it too Bob.... :( Maybe next year!! :)

Lance

Great pictures and stories Tines. Lance and his gang definitely know how to get it done. Thanks for sharing. Them are some nice bucks for sure. :)

TJ