Sign in to follow this  
tommat

Day after Thanksgiving buck

Not the biggest Coues I have taken but far from a spike. With having taken a cow elk in September, and my youngest son bagging a spike last month I was not short of meat so I set out to take a three point. Opening morning was cool and damp. It had rained on and off all night. I set out to my spot early to be there 1/2 before sunrise and was shocked to get there and have about 20' of visibility due to fog. After a half hour or so the fog lifted enough so I could do some limited glassing. Right away I saw a decent buck about 180 yds away side hilling up. Before I could get a better look he dissolved away up into the fog. I got back to the quad and went a couple canyons ahead of where I thought he might be headed and set out to lay in ambush. About a 1/3 mile or so up the ridge I spotted a buck, (not sure if it was the same one) feeding about two ridges over. A quick range finder reading was 280 yds. I wanted a better look so I dug out my Vortex 15 x 50 Vipers and placed them on the tripod. He was a neat looking 2 X 2, really tall. I set my Rem 770 .243 on the tripod and watched him through the scope. He busted me from the movement and was looking at me. It was such a sweet set up I couldn't resist and let it fly. Dropped him in his tracks.

post-2234-0-41050800-1322515279_thumb.jpg

In this picture the "trophy shot" you can get a feel for the foggy background. I had to wait a few min for the fog to lift some to get some depth to the picture.

post-2234-0-63610500-1322515316_thumb.jpg

Even though I had higher ambitions for this hunt I am very happy with this buck. He was very well fed, I have never seen so much body fat on a deer. I wish I would have taken a pic, even his rib cage had a thick layer of fat on it.

Now if I could only harvest one with my bow........

Nice!!! Congrats on the success! Great way to spend Thanksgiving weekend!!!! ;)

Thanks for sharing with the site!

S.

:)

Nice buck! Great pic with the fog in the background!

I like the fog in the background on your trophy shot...nice setup. Congrats on your buck. Don't forget to enter in the Coues buck contest...even though it's not a huge buck, you can win best story, best photo, or even the random winner we will pick from those who don't win in a particular category.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/Coues_Buck_Contest_2011/coues_buck_contest_2011-12.htm

Congratulations, way to hang in there with the foggy conditions!

Well Done! ;)