BASS

Happy Thoughts Please!

Back on September 12th at work I blew my left knee out. My MCL was torn in two, my other two tendons were partially torn, the lubricating strip between the bones (meniscus) was torn and my patella was moving two inches from center to the outside of my leg. Being young they didn't want to do surgery but the immobilization for six weeks failed at week five when my knee cap popped out of place again pretty much restarting the clock to zero.

Tomorrow (12-9) I go into my first surgery ever. They will give it one shot by orthoscopic but my MCL was shredded and looked like spaghetti so if its too far gone, or too much work they will abandon it right then and slice me open to remove it and using six screws put a cadavor tendon in.

It isn't a major surgery but I am more scared than I've ever been. (More so than when I got stuck halfway down coons bluff rappelling!) If you are the praying type, I'd appreciate some happy vibes sent my way! Hopefully that spaghetti of a mess in there has healed enough since September that they will just pop in there, clean it up a little and get back out, that's what I'm praying for. I've been off of work since it happened and can't wait to get back, although I'm sure it will be some time before I'm back 100%.

Thoughts and prayers sent. Follow doctors orders and work extra hard at rehab, you will be back up in the mountains in no time! Good luck!!!

Sounds like you really did a good job on your knee. Sorry to hear it. Thoughts and prayers for a full recovery. Listen to your doctor and follow it to a T. Keep us posted how it goes. Good luck! :)

TJ

Well, Im alive! Turns out I did a lot more damage than was first thought. So much so they sliced me open, and had to cut the tendon on the side completely through. Once that tension was relieved, they cut a chunk of bone out of my lower leg in a wedge shape, moved it towards the outside of my leg and screwed it back on. Then they used a cadaver tendon and screwed that to my bone in place of the damaged tendons. But some how during the surgery my left hand either was positioned wrong or something as it has been asleep since I woke up last night at six after the surgery. Its still asleep and no one seems to know why. Hopefully that resolves itself soon and it has me more worried than the rest of the surgery. Thank you for the prayers and thoughts, I was pretty shaken up last night when I learned that the worst case scenario we had planned for was now the new starting point and it had gotten worse! I'm still in the surgical center and will be through at least tomorrow.

Thanks for the update. I'll continue to keep you in my prayers and hope for a full recovery. Sounds to me like you will be in some serious therapy. Hope you're out of there soon.

TJ

they did not move your arms and legs during surgery. the anathesioligist(sp) Fcck up. same thing happened to my buddy that donated his kideny to me in 2003. We both came out of surgery fine and got discharged. but he had been complaining about his arm was asleep the three days we there. six months later it was the same. so, as it turned out a nerve was fkkd in his arm do to the lack of movement in surgery. anyway Mayo Clinic fixed it and now he has a scar up his left arm that is about 12 in. long and looks like a snake. hopefully this is not the case for you

Thanks TJ, it means a lot to me.

CW, I sure hope that isn't the case for me! Yikes. Not sure how I would hold a gun for work if I can't feel my hand lol (more importantly how I'd hold my new bow I want! ;)) . Just waiting for the doctor to come in today and remove my drainage tube in my leg and see if I can get outta here today.

I guess I better start talking to my surgeon and the GFD to see if I can qualify for a disabled hunter for next months piggy hunt. I know I read you have to have a loss of 90% of function in at least one leg or comparable I would say I have at least that currently since I have orders of no weight on it for at least four weeks?

Final update! I came home late Sunday afternoon after my surgeon called and found out that I had not gone home the night before. Whoops! Luckily the numbness in my hand and foot have gone away and I started bending my leg to thirty degrees yesterday. Hurts like all get out and was super sore this morning but that is to be expected since its been kept straight since it happened back in September. They have me on some super pain drugs and I missed a dose the other day thinking maybe I could stretch the dose. NOPE! I was in agony for about an hour until the pills caught up again. I'm up and moving with the help of crutches. Hopefully I can get the stitches out by next week some time.