Sign in to follow this  
Buck Smasher

True Story: Very Interesting

About 4 years ago my father and I began to hunt coues deer. Opening morning my father shot this buck with a bow. I asked my father this " Dad, what do you think the odds of finding a shed from this buck would be?". To my surprise my father responded back "What kind of dumb question is that?". I laughed and he said "Don't ask me stupid questions like that, the odds are 1 to a million". That was the total conversation. Hunting season came the next year and we went to our spot. Hiking to our tree stands, my father stumbles across this shed. The words out of his mouth "I don't believe this! You know what son! Your a #&!%!! Hahaha". The moral of the story is never give up dreaming wild and big because you never know what will happen. I will remember this to the day I die and will someday pass this story down to my kids someday :).post-6134-0-61947300-1323412377_thumb.jpg

post-6134-0-42743200-1323412404_thumb.jpg

post-6134-0-73720400-1323412426_thumb.jpg

post-6134-0-29891000-1323412448_thumb.jpg

post-6134-0-48873100-1323412470_thumb.jpg

post-6134-0-96687100-1323412489_thumb.jpg

doubt the shed is from the same deer, genetics have a lot to do with antler growth, I've taken deer out of the same area from the same bloodline and the antlers are mirrors, like the ones in your pictures.

doubt the shed is from the same deer, genetics have a lot to do with antler growth, I've taken deer out of the same area from the same bloodline and the antlers are mirrors, like the ones in your pictures.

I understand your point. I have been hunting this mountain for about 4 years now. I also know every buck where I hunt. There are no other bucks on the mountain I hunt with dual eye gaurds like that. Trust me it is the exact deer. My father found the shed a year later after he shot it in the same spot pretty much.

Cool story, thx for shareing....I once tripped over a skull, and then found a shed off the buck 10 feet from his skull..... You just never know, darn right!

I think coues bucks have a smaller core home range than most people relize

But heck... what do I know.

Cool story, thx for shareing....I once tripped over a skull, and then found a shed off the buck 10 feet from his skull..... You just never know, darn right!

I think coues bucks have a smaller core home range than most people relize

But heck... what do I know.

It is true. I know that back east even in the mid-west, whitetails have a roaming range of about 2 miles for their life. Keep in mind that these facts are from books that I have read. However, I know that these little coues are the same as the white tail back east when it comes to natural instincts. I do believe though that these coues deer are tougher and more intelligent than the whitetails of the mid-west and back east. Hint they're little "Ghosts". I am glad you liked this story! I get a kick out of it and still to this day my dad can't believe it lol

That is an awesome story... and it is even cooler to me because it also happened to me and my dad this year.

Opening morning my dad was on his way to his glassing spot... 100 yards from the cliff edge he picks up a perfect set of drops (about the size of your Dad's shed). Excited, he puts them in his pack and continues on. As it turns out, they were a good omen. About an hour later, my dad shot the buck that dropped those sheds from his glassing point. The buck was 200 yards beneath him as he glassed from the bluff.

Congrats to your Dad on a cool story

That is an awesome story... and it is even cooler to me because it also happened to me and my dad this year.

Opening morning my dad was on his way to his glassing spot... 100 yards from the cliff edge he picks up a perfect set of drops (about the size of your Dad's shed). Excited, he puts them in his pack and continues on. As it turns out, they were a good omen. About an hour later, my dad shot the buck that dropped those sheds from his glassing point. The buck was 200 yards beneath him as he glassed from the bluff.

Congrats to your Dad on a cool story

Congrats to you and your dad! That is an awesome story! Just the odds of that happening are actually pretty rare in Arizona.