Sign in to follow this  
apache12

this is harder than I thought it'd be

or just a house cat... only kidding... but seriously think about it!

or just a house cat... only kidding... but seriously think about it!

Hmmm. I've got feral cats running around all over the place...I'm thinking baiting for coyotes is legal...;)

• Like 1

Watched a show on National Geographic about urban coyotes and the problems they cause near some of the cities. There point showed that coyotes are one of the most adaptable animals there is. They have survived many attempts by people throughout the years to be wiped out only to not work. Wolves and other animals didnt fare as well but coyotes always made it. The show demonstrated how they even learn by watching other coyotes(not pups but adults only) and evolve new tricks and survival skills to get by, just on watching how others did or did not do. Not suprising after watching that, why they dont come to the call when I call :( .

Hit the unmentionables one time while hunting in 22, must of sounded like i was dying while rolling on the ground and BAM! two coyotes came in. Go figure.

APache12- my dad was one of the first in az to call coyotes; 1952. i called my first one in when i was eleven. you can call them close to town . i wish i could get my son inlaws vid clip on youtube. called in 5. cars honking and roosters crowing in east mesa. i like to call where no one else has. it is easier. the educated ones are hard. also coyotes are a small challenging target. watch a few calling videos. make sure your rifle is sighted in and accurate. if you can go out with someone you has called some in. i do not use a shotgun. some areas that hold coyotes are so brushy a good shotgunner with 4 buck can be very productive.

First, there must be dogs in the area you are in. There are coyotes everywhere, but some areas hold more than others. I dont hunt some areas I used to because we have cleaned them out in last couple of years (tried to eradicate them because deer pop. was going down because of predators, now deer are back). We scout for coyotes juast like deer and find areas where they are thicker, the more there are, the easier they are to call in. We havent been out that much since the year we worked on our deer hunting areas, but we are about to hit another area with lots of sign.

We mix up sounds on foxpro, we use all different kinds of sounds, even if there isnt that kind of animal in the area, we also use hand calls and sometimes we use both at same time, for example we will use deer fawn in distress with foxpro and then use open reed call to throw out some short yelps and barks at same time, this really fires up dominant dogs in areas.

The first year we really hit them hard, we were seeing 5 to 6 coyotes a day while hunting deer. We did our cleanup and now we see one every now and then, but the reason we did so good was that no one else was calling that area and we knew there were a lot of dogs there, we also spent a LOT of time in the area so we knew where to find them, and had them "patterned" (we knew where they watered and where they liked to bed and such) because we spent so much time out there.