Becker

??? Posting Scores ???

I could go and kill a cow elk nearly every day of the year. If I decide to hunt a bull, it suddenly becomes much harder and then if I change that to a trophy bull it becomes much MUCH HARDER!! To me that's the biggest thing about scores - the challenge. I admit that it is fun to brag about it too :lol: . Wesley

WOW being one of the newest members of the Plus club let me share a few points

I don’t think I could win. If I had posted BIG BUCK DOWN someone would have came back demanding a score. If I had posted 130 4/8 BUCK someone would have held my feet to the fire for not having the right pictures to back up the score. So I decided to post 125” + change. I knew that the buck was bigger than that. I figured I would give myself a little room for all those little 1/8ths and not embarrass myself along the way.

[ Lane[/font][/size]

Lane +++ everyone else. Becker's post was taken the wrong way. His post was mostly saying in a good natured way to let it all hang out on your +++ bucks. Scoring is really not that hard and most people can probably be 98 % accurate the first time. Personally ++ and -- scores are fine with me. Us rednecks don't like no freaking fractions anyway. :huh:

Bill:

I totally agree with you!!! There would not be a book without the names...

I just have a different view about what I get from the record books. I am someone who is a score chaser AKA "Trophy Hunter". I am looking for that buck that tips the top of the record books. High scoring deer trip my trigger, Thats me....Always been that way. However I am overly excited about anyone who gets out in the field, score chasers, meat hunters, or weekend warriors, whatever you want to call yourself. All have their place and all should have the same respect for the other. As I mentioned before...TO EACH HIS OWN!!! Get out there and hunt.

I mostly wanted to see what everyone's perception of what the + means, more out of curiosity than anything.....It seems more than not, and not bagging on anyone, but most of the people posting the + are those who are really into scores...If they are that into it, post it up ;) hahaha My future posts will all be - tongue.gif

And HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS

+1 lol but I am too, well -1 or 2. great post

Devin. I had to throw that in there!!!

I really love the tape stretchers!!! ;) :blink: :P

How many times have we seen:

"We killed this 130" coues...."

"Just smoked this Giant 220" mulie..."

"Just taged out on this 400" bull after passing on lots of 350's..."

Oh Yeah... cuz they are behind ever tree. :blink:

But when looking at the pics, or the horns in hand you can't help but wonder..."Hmm, who was stretching that tape???" Yes pics can be deciving and so can holding skull caped horns but if you really look at an animal's head in any pic you can get a pretty good idea. A 130" coues and a 220" mulie had better have Length, Width, AND MASS (or Trash) .... and an elk without 5 points over 20" and good everywhere (or Extras)... well lets just say, "Lacking...." ;)

Then you read their name in one of the recording period record books and chuckle. ;) :P :lol: :lol:

I am probably repeating myself but just had to point it out again.... :blink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hunters who need steel tapes to measure their success -- and the success of others -- are to be pitied.

Bill Quimby

I never understand this attitude. What is wrong with someone going on a treasure hunt for something they find satisfying to their soul? I would hunt any size whitey, but would love one with a lot of bone. What is so wrong with that? We are all very similar in that we enjoy god’s country and have a passion for these beautiful deer. Some people would rather take the extra time to look for a diamond than a piece of limestone. If you are happy with limestone, then wonderful for you. Pretty sure “Trophy hunters” wouldn’t “pity” them. I personally hate it when the hunt is over (success or not). I find looking for bigger deer keeps me out in the field enjoying the hunt a little longer.

It's been human nature since inception to "want more".

I would rather pity those whom never get the chance or opportunity to hunt at all.

• Like 2

I understand what you are saying. I think most of the hunters put that down to give us a good guess of about what they think it is. If it means anything my last hunt was a Great Time+

Hunters who need steel tapes to measure their success -- and the success of others -- are to be pitied.

Bill Quimby

I never understand this attitude. What is wrong with someone going on a treasure hunt for something they find satisfying to their soul? I would hunt any size whitey, but would love one with a lot of bone. What is so wrong with that? We are all very similar in that we enjoy god’s country and have a passion for these beautiful deer. Some people would rather take the extra time to look for a diamond than a piece of limestone. If you are happy with limestone, then wonderful for you. Pretty sure “Trophy hunters” wouldn’t “pity” them. I personally hate it when the hunt is over (success or not). I find looking for bigger deer keeps me out in the field enjoying the hunt a little longer.

It's been human nature since inception to "want more".

I would rather pity those whom never get the chance or opportunity to hunt at all.

Probably one of the most logical, well thought out and delivered posts on cwt. Well done.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to shoot a “trophy” animal if that’s what you want, but I really do feel sorry for hunters who believe a measuring tape is the only way to measure their success. I believe you probably feel the same, if as you say you hate to end your hunts early, successful or not.

You are well on your way, but you will not have matured as a hunter until you admit to yourself that there are other and better reasons for hunting, and that a “lot of bone” really isn’t reason enough.

Would I shoot the world record whatever if it jumped up and I had a tag and a rifle? In a heartbeat. But I do not always shoot the first legal buck I see, and it doesn’t matter if it is a yearling or a five-year-old. Sometimes I go deer hunting for the pure enjoyment of seeing them and being with friends. Sometimes I shoot a deer simply because I want the meat.

Whether I shoot or not depends on how I feel at the moment. I don’t need another set of antlers to toss in a box with all the others, and I certainly don’t need another mount. After 63 years of hunting, much of it when it was a part of my occupation, I’ve run out of wall space at our cabin and in the trophy room at our home, and quite frankly my trophies don’t mean that much to me any more.

My problem is that I spent too much time around international trophy hunters/collectors in 2,000-square-foot trophy rooms filled with 300-400 heads and dozens of lifesize mounts of record-book animals from 100 countries. It doesn’t take long to realize that amassing “a lot of bone” really only requires lots of money and/or time -- and those who have gobs of the first usually have plenty of the second. It also helps if they have political clout, which can be bought, too.

One of the guys whose memoirs I helped write sold all of his businesses when his daughter, mother and father died a few months apart. He then made thirteen major hunts on four continents in twelve months. Another of my clients shot his first deer when he was in his forties, and then took a desert sheep a couple of months later. He then sold his business empire and went hunting full time, eventually posting entries in most of the SCI record book's hundreds of categories.

But that was nothing compared to the last crown prince of Iran, whom I wrote about in my book, "Royal Quest."

When Prince Abdorreza decided it was time to hunt North America after shooting everything that walks in Europe, Asia and Africa, he contacted his friends Jack O’Connor, Elgin Gates and Herb Klein, who lined up outfitters and arranged museum permits. (They really weren’t needed because the prince had diplomatic immunity.) He then spent three months of non-stop hunting all over the USA and Canada. He not only shot TWO grand slams of record-class North American sheep (one for his trophy room and one for Iran’s national museum), but he also shot TWO EACH of 19 types of North America's 29 types of big game animals (including two big Coues deer south of Tucson) -- all in less than 90 days!

He was the worst kind of trophy hunter, and not because of his excesses. It was because his sole reason for hunting was to get his name high up in record books. There were three things in Africa that eluded him, though -- an elephant with 100-pound tusks, a buffalo with horns wider than 50 inches, and a sable antelope with 50-inch horns. When he shot a 99-pound elephant, a 49-inch buffalo, and a 48-inch sable, he told his outfitters to keep them and walked away angry at everyone except himself.

When he didn’t shoot the No. 1 argali, tur, markhor, gaur or whatever, he was convinced his guides, his outfitters, and his booking agents were crooks.

This has run way too long. Believe me: It makes no difference to me or anyone else whether or not I kill another “trophy.” I hunt because I must, and I will hunt until I can’t. I do feel sorry for those of you who hunt strictly for trophies because the tired old bromide that says records are made to be broken is absolutely true. Even Ed Stockwell's record Coues deer is not safe if someone with an extra gazillion dollars or so decides he wants to shoot a bigger head.

Bill Quimby

roger that- money kills big critters, not hard work, dedication to the craft, just money.

comparing what is listed above to the tool iranian price is apples and oranges (quite the flattering description by the way).

I doubt any hunter involved in this conversation would smash a set of 109 antlers on a rock because they were not "book"

I say shoot whatever blows your skirt up, whether it be meat, antlers, or nothing at all.

If another hunters success measure differs from your own no need to feel sorry for them, just say "great buck" and move on.

Judgment and pity is undeserved for those measuring success differently than thou.

"I doubt any hunter involved in this conversation would smash a set of 109 antlers on a rock because they were not "book" I say shoot whatever blows your skirt up, whether it be meat, antlers, or nothing at all."

They aren't on this forum, but I know many trophy-or-none-at-all hunters who, while they might not smash a set of 109-inch Coues deer antlers on a rock; would go home disappointed with themselves and angry with anyone who may have encouraged them to shoot a non-book head. And not all of these "pure" trophy hunters are super wealthy. Some are retired taxidermists, military and commercial pilots, cafe owners, and lawyers with small practices.

"Shoot whatever blows your skirt up, whether it be meat, antlers, or nothing at all" is what I was trying to say. You summed up my 800 words with just 15.

I've not changed my mind about measuring hunting success ONLY by a tape, though. Those who do so are to be pitied because they miss much of what hunting offers.

Bill Quimby

I agree with the statement about someone who ONLY measures their success by the size of the antlers! However, I love to shoot bucks with big antlers but my time in the field is enjoyed whether I shoot a buck or not. And sometimes I shoot smallish deer to fill the freezer. I love passing on bucks every year waiting for "the one" for me. I leave more for other hunters and enjoy more time in the field. To each their own.

About the + thing. I realy don't care what people post for scores and understand that there's no universal use of the + or -. However, I've used the + thing when I knew a deer scored at least x amount but scored it quickly.

i've killed big animals in every breed the west offers. but i've had a lot more fun watching my kids or my ol' man shoot forkhorns than i ever did with anything i ever shot. some of the best hunts i've ever been on were pig hunts where i never fired a shot. too many folks get too caught up in who's is biggest and if their's ain't then they make something up. i have a shelf fulla b&c bear and lion heads, a couple pronghorns, a coues or two and maybe a muley or so but never bothered to enter even one. did have one officially scored once, just to make sure i was right. scores are fine. i don't care if it has a + by it. as long as it ain't a BS score like you see so many times. thats when you really see how folks are. sorta like cartman or the spanish basketball team at the special olympics. Lark.