Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Grand Canyon Views

Last weekend provided the opportunity to fly over the Grand Canyon with Grand Canyon Airlines. The flight takes a counterclockwise route and provides a different perspective with views that cannot be seen from the rim viewpoints. Since the view was constantly changing, my right index finger developed a twitch from pressing the shutter button incessantly. One could hope for a slower plane as the scenery slipped by seemingly too fast ;)

So grab a window seat, fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the flight.

The flight after take-off proceeds easterly towards Desert View. Those who have hunted Unit 9 will appreciate the view.

Ed800GCAirlines12-201_009.jpg

Before Desert View, the flight takes across the canyon providing a good overhead look of the Colorado River.

Ed800GCAirlines12-201_029.jpg

The views of the east rim of the Kaibab Plateau in the morning sunlight are quite nice...

Ed600GCAirlines12-201_050.jpg

...as are the details seen in the sedimentation layers and in the points below.

Ed600GCAirlines12-201_053.jpg

Ed600GCAirlines12-201_079.jpg

Ed600GCAirlines12-201_083.jpg

I found this part of the flight heading north towards Point Imperial to be the most scenic.

Ed600GCAirlines12-201_090.jpg

Ed600GCAirlines12-201_045.jpg

A different angle is seen of Mount Hayden.

Ed600HaydenGCAirlines12-201.jpg

The Vermilion Cliffs are in the far distance.

Ed600GCAirlines12-201_122.jpg

Looking back south towards the San Francisco Peaks (B&W conversion)

Ed800BWGCAirlines12-201_110.jpg

From near Point Imperial, the flight heads west over the Kaibab forest.

Ed600GCAirlines12-201_140.jpg

Near Point Sublime, the flight crosses the canyon again from North to south rim.

Ed600GCAirlines12-201_167.jpg

Ed800GCAirlines12-201_201.jpg

If you want to enjoy a pleasant view of a natural wonder, consider an early morning or late afternoon flight over the Grand Canyon.

Special thanks are given to Monty, AzSagebrush

Doug~RR

I have lived in AZ all my life and have never been to the Grand Canyon.

You really should make the trip for a weekend and be there at sunset at Hopi Point. Sunrise at Lipan Point is very nice also.

Doug:

Beautiful photos! I made three trips through the canyon on rafts back when I wrote outdoors columns for the Citizen, and I thought I'd never see anything so spectacular as the canyon along the river. That changed when my last trip included a helicopter flight from Lava Falls back to Page. As you've discovered, there is nothing like seeing the grandest of all canyons from the air.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

Back when I was in backpacking mode decades ago, I made several hikes that included Hermit, Tonto, Clear Creek, Grandview, Kaibab and Bright Angel. Each time I am on the rim taking photograph, I long to be hiking from below, as that is a great way to see the canyon. I have not rafted, but it may be one of those bucket-list trips. What a grandiose place to have in our backyard.

Doug

Doug:

I've heard that raft trips sell out a year or more in advance, so reserve a trip now. You'll never regret it. There's nothing quite like it, especially for photographers. You can sit on the beach at Redwall Cavern, for example, and literally watch the light climb up the wall across the river.

And don't forget to take a packable fishing rod. Not all of the big trout in that river are around Lee's Ferry.

Bill Quimby

So nice to see this type of view of the Canyon - thanks for the pictures. I was lucky enough to co-lead a science rafting trip a few years ago - 12 high school seniors. Great experience. I have also hiked most of the trails leading in and out of the Canyon floor - but these pictures are amazing.

Everyone needs to spend some quality time at the Canyon at least once. Me, on the other hand, I need to go up a few times a year......

Paul and I enjoyed an amazing aerial view when we flew over the canyon on our way to Portland for thanksgiving. It was just breathtaking!

I also saw it from the air when flying to Utah last year. Not quite as intimate as when you are in a small aircraft, but it was still very impressive! I snapped a cell phone pic out the window. Doesn't really do it justice.

post-1-0-90976000-1324365260_thumb.jpg

Great pictures Doug! Never get tired of looking at the Canyon. Love the B&W version with the 'Peaks'... No matter if I'm looking at a picture or after traveling and driving back into town, when I see the "Peaks' I let out a small breath and say to myself or out loud "I'm Home"

Sitting here having coffee before going to work and you just made my day already. Now I'll have those pictures inbedded in my head all day. Thanks Doug! :D

TJ

Sam, those kids will remember that trip more than any classroom experience.

Amanda, it would be nice to be on a small plane or chopper to fly amongst the temples for the closer view. Those days are gone in exchange for better solitude in the canyon.

Ilene, I too like Newman Park for the "good to be home" view.

TJ, your'e welcome

When and if any of the CWT members are going to be in the Tusayan area, send me a PM and let me know when you will be here and i'll see what i can do to get you on one of our plane tours like Redrabbit took. The seats would be space avaiable (stand by) but for $20.00 pp you can't beat it.

PS these are air tour not scounting tours.....

Monty