i don't disagree with it. it's just a lot easier. shoot alla them lions. but their ain't much neater than watchin' good dry ground hounds do their stuff. Lark.

i don't disagree with it.  it's just a lot easier.  shoot alla them lions.  but their ain't much neater than watchin' good dry ground hounds do their stuff.  Lark.

I totally agree with you. We cringe when we see snow coming. Up until then, no one is around much and we prefer to hunt the dirt. Our dogs do really poorly in snow. Most of them had never seen the snow until a few days ago. We could barely get them to run the track; totally clueless.

That's why they call catching lions on the dirt, "honest lions". ha

If you are hunting a lion and it snows there, you have to go ahead whatever conditions you got.

i don't disagree with it.? it's just a lot easier.? shoot alla them lions.? but their ain't much neater than watchin' good dry ground hounds do their stuff.? Lark.

I totally agree with you. We cringe when we see snow coming. Up until then, no one is around much and we prefer to hunt the dirt. Our dogs do really poorly in snow. Most of them had never seen the snow until a few days ago. We could barely get them to run the track; totally clueless.

That's why they call catching lions on the dirt, "honest lions". ha

If you are hunting a lion and it snows there, you have to go ahead whatever conditions you got.

Isn't snow also harder on your dogs' feet? I've seen hounds leave bloody tracks after eight or ten hours of hunting in snow.

BillQ

i knew it, out runnin' cats in the snow.? i could catch lions in the snow with cheewawa dogs.? Lark.

You are right. It sucks. Should be outlawed. You can catch a lion in the snow with a sorry hound no doubt. I agree 270

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here, I have just been thinking about this since I read this and other replys similar to this one. I understand it's easier to hunt lions in the snow but why suggest outlawing it? Or stating it sucks? I'm just curious. I have heard more than once from reputable lion guides that dogman68 (Randy) is the "lion king", and by Josh's posts and pic's and what I've heard, I would agree. You guys obviously have the expeience, dedication, and great hounds to acquire such a reputation! But why knock the little guys that don't have the experience or great hounds that rely on the snow to help them. I know for a fact that just because there is snow and a really fresh track it doesn't mean your certain of a treed cat, no matter how good the hounds are. I see it as at least being a great time for less experienced guys to train their dogs as well as themselves. I can see why you would state it "sucks" because when it snows you have every lion hunter of all skill levels out runnin the roads creating competition, I understand that, but most of those guys put there hearts into it and are as dedicated as their individual lives will allow, and have every right to be out there. I have read several replys calling these guys "WANNA-BE's", and I think that sucks, because everyone starts somewhere and EVERYONE is a "WANNA-BE" in the beginning. We should also be very carefull about outlawing anything related to lion hunting or hunting in general, because that may very well be a "foot-hold" for the anti's to use against us! I'm just tryin' to stick up for the "wannabe's" with the "sorry" hounds and I mean no disrespect to anyones opinions!. ;) JIM

You guys are soooo sensitive. It makes me want to watch a cowboy movie. :lol: Poor Dogman will be afraid to type. By the way we called a guy in college dogman, but he never caught a lion even though he ran after a lot of hounds. :D He also had a hard time identifying the reproductive organs on his prey. ;)

Let me apologize ahead of time to all those I may have offended. If you are a: :( houndsman,dog, hounddog,cowboys, gay cowboy, wyoming cowboy, sheepherder,shed hunter, guy in college who likes unattractive women, transvestite, transgender, hermaphordite,hunter, anti-hunter, a hunter that shoots two little kittens or a hunter who can only hunt lions in the snow. I am trully sorry. I dont want to ruffle any feathers.

Bob

You guys are soooo sensitive. It makes me want to watch a cowboy movie. :D Poor Dogman will be afraid to type. By the way we called a guy in college dogman, but  he never caught a lion even though he ran after a lot of hounds. :D He also had a hard time identifying the reproductive organs on his prey. ;)

Let me apologize ahead of time to all those I may have offended. If you are a: :(  houndsman,dog, hounddog,cowboys, gay cowboy, wyoming cowboy, sheepherder,shed hunter, guy in college who likes unattractive women, transvestite, transgender, hermaphordite,hunter, anti-hunter, a hunter that shoots two little kittens or a hunter who can only hunt lions in the snow. I am trully sorry. I dont want to ruffle any feathers.

Bob

I doubt dogman68 will be afraid to type, someone already took a jab at him and he came back, it was in a different discussion but similar topic. I am mearly stating my thoughts/ideas in relation to what has been said, and I'm curious the reasoning behind it. I have hunted and killed lions but I am not a "lion hunter" so I don't know much about the details. These guys are the best out there right now and what they say has alot of weight, and for dogman68 to say anything, I know there is alot of experience and knowledge backing it up, so I'm sure he's got good reasons and that is what I'm inquiring about. I always thought all lion hunters prayed for snow, even if they had dry ground dogs, and for one to think it should be outlawed? That made me curious. You are entitled to your opinions, as am I, but yours is hilarious, :( :P :lol: thanks for the laugh! JIM

You guys are soooo sensitive. It makes me want to watch a cowboy movie. :o Poor Dogman will be afraid to type. By the way we called a guy in college dogman, but? he never caught a lion even though he ran after a lot of hounds. :D He also had a hard time identifying the reproductive organs on his prey. ;)

Let me apologize ahead of time to all those I may have offended. If you are a: :(? houndsman,dog, hounddog,cowboys, gay cowboy, wyoming cowboy, sheepherder,shed hunter, guy in college who likes unattractive women, transvestite, transgender, hermaphordite,hunter, anti-hunter, a hunter that shoots two little kittens or a hunter who can only hunt lions in the snow. I am trully sorry. I dont want to ruffle any feathers.

Bob

I doubt dogman68 will be afraid to type, someone already took a jab at him and he came back, it was in a different discussion but similar topic. I am mearly stating my thoughts/ideas in relation to what has been said, and I'm curious the reasoning behind it. I have hunted and killed lions but I am not a "lion hunter" so I don't know much about the details. These guys are the best out there right now and what they say has alot of weight, and for dogman68 to say anything, I know there is alot of experience and knowledge backing it up, so I'm sure he's got good reasons and that is what I'm inquiring about. I always thought all lion hunters prayed for snow, even if they had dry ground dogs, and for one to think it should be outlawed? That made me curious. You are entitled to your opinions, as am I, but yours is hilarious, :lol: :P :blink: thanks for the laugh! JIM

You guys are soooo sensitive. It makes me want to watch a cowboy movie. :o Poor Dogman will be afraid to type. By the way we called a guy in college dogman, but? he never caught a lion even though he ran after a lot of hounds. :D He also had a hard time identifying the reproductive organs on his prey. ;)

Let me apologize ahead of time to all those I may have offended. If you are a: :(? houndsman,dog, hounddog,cowboys, gay cowboy, wyoming cowboy, sheepherder,shed hunter, guy in college who likes unattractive women, transvestite, transgender, hermaphordite,hunter, anti-hunter, a hunter that shoots two little kittens or a hunter who can only hunt lions in the snow. I am trully sorry. I dont want to ruffle any feathers.

Bob

I doubt dogman68 will be afraid to type, someone already took a jab at him and he came back, it was in a different discussion but similar topic. I am mearly stating my thoughts/ideas in relation to what has been said, and I'm curious the reasoning behind it. I have hunted and killed lions but I am not a "lion hunter" so I don't know much about the details. These guys are the best out there right now and what they say has alot of weight, and for dogman68 to say anything, I know there is alot of experience and knowledge backing it up, so I'm sure he's got good reasons and that is what I'm inquiring about. I always thought all lion hunters prayed for snow, even if they had dry ground dogs, and for one to think it should be outlawed? That made me curious. You are entitled to your opinions, as am I, but yours is hilarious, :lol: :P :blink: thanks for the laugh! JIM

I was not slamming anyone or anyone's dogs. Catching a lion is fun no matter how you do it.

It was tongue in cheek saying "It should be outlawed". It "sucks" due to all the driving and hauling your dogs around in the truck hour after hour. They learn that the only time to hunt is when you have found a track. I know several guys (including ourselves) that hunt rain, snow, wind or shine. Those guys have some pretty fair hounds. I have the sorriest snow dogs I have ever owned. We put them out on two tracks and they had no idea what to do. That is frustrating.

People tend to take things very literal on internet forums and also personal, something I need to keep in mind, so my apologies if I have offended anyone.

Coues deer and lions are closely inter related and I thought after seeing several lion pictures and reading some of what was read, to throw in my 2 cents worth, thinking it might be interesting to coues and lion hunters a like.

Also, I am pretty computer challenged but we don't kill every lion we catch. We do enjoy the "no snow" scenario since then you do not have to consider if someone else is sitting on the other end of the track you are going to start out on. I think Josh and I caught 11 lions two years ago that we let go. Since, most of those have been killed by local hunters. We love to hunt them and run our dogs on them so why kill a lion that is in your backyard?

Everyone starts out somewhere. Now a days most hunters start out buying dogs, trucks, radios etc. and then just go at it. Unfortunately we started the backwards way, training our own dogs, trial and error, too broke to buy two bags of dog food at one time etc etc. People have more money now so it is easier to just get set up from day one. Nothing wrong with that approach either other than you miss out on much of the heartache. lol

There is plenty of heartache to go around even when things go right with dogs.

My experience, for what little it is worth, is that you can catch a lion with some pretty sorry dogs. I proved that last week. Doesn't mean that if you catch a lion on the snow, that makes you or your dog sorry. That is a wrong corrolation. Dirt hunting and snow hunting are two totally different types of hunting that are not even closely related other than the object is to catch a lion.

It's like comparing football and golf. They both involve using a ball but the games are different.

Can be fun regardless of the game you play.

I've hunted both ways and can honestly say that there is nothing like watching a good pack of dogs work their hearts out on a tough track. All houndsmen have their own ways and methods and nothing is to say one way is right and one way is wrong. It is just whatever you prefer.

All of us are hunters and it is important not to lose sight of the fun and rewards that come from hunting and get bogged down in disagreement and discord. We are all in this together.

You guys are soooo sensitive. It makes me want to watch a cowboy movie. :blink: Poor Dogman will be afraid to type. By the way we called a guy in college dogman, but  he never caught a lion even though he ran after a lot of hounds. :o He also had a hard time identifying the reproductive organs on his prey. ;)

Let me apologize ahead of time to all those I may have offended. If you are a: :lol:  houndsman,dog, hounddog,cowboys, gay cowboy, wyoming cowboy, sheepherder,shed hunter, guy in college who likes unattractive women, transvestite, transgender, hermaphordite,hunter, anti-hunter, a hunter that shoots two little kittens or a hunter who can only hunt lions in the snow. I am trully sorry. I dont want to ruffle any feathers.

Bob

Never made it in college. Must be someone more intelligent than myself, that's for sure.

I sure don't know that much about lions or lion hunting. I find that out every day I hunt them.

One of the reasons I was so interested in reading what others had to say. I feel I can learn something from everyone and that helps me.

I do, however, prefer unattractive women. More in my class; less fear of rejection too.

Thanks for the reply dogman68! I agree one of the reasons I love reading everyones posts here is that I might learn something new. That is the main reason I reply'd to your post, to possibly learn something new about something I know little about. I have only been on dry ground hunts and watching the dogs work a track was incredible, there bawls echoing through the canyons, and not knowing what will happen next or where you'll end up is a rush. You guys deserve alot of credit for producing what you do, there is an incredible amount of dedication and perseverance that goes in to it to be as good as you guys are. Congrats on all your success and thanks again for your insight. JIM

Heck, I consider myself a big time wannabe when it comes to hunting in general. I've harvested two coues bucks and one javelina in my lifetime. Unfortunatley I don't get out near as much as I like to. I get on here everyday though and love to hear everybody's stories and to see the pics. I've seen one lion in my life and that was at night driving home from deer hunting, ran right in front of the car. I learn a little more each time I go out and I learn a lot from you guys too. I definitely enjoy the heck out of being out there with my Dad and someday my kids and like you guys already said That's what it's all about. ;)

post-911-1142667284.jpeg

I do, however, prefer unattractive women.? More in my class; less fear of rejection too.

Not me Dogman, they have to be lookers with lots of class. Here is a picture of my best girl.

Bob

If and when I can afford it, my first lion hunt with dogs will be with Josh's help.

To date I have only seen 2 Lions in 25 years of hiking Arizona.

1st one I peppered with # 7? shot at 40 yards near canyon lake.

2nd I tried to run over in my Ford crossing the beeline near mequite wash.

(No gun that day).

Josh is not only an outstanding lion hunter but he is the "Shed God" from all his posts I've seen.

Josh, ask your dad if I paid for all the dogs food on a monthly basis, how long would it take until I would have a guided hunt paid for.

Thanks for always sharing your experiences.

Dan

Dan we'd love to take you on a lion hunt one of these days. The dogfood deal though is one that I think we'd have to pass on. It'd take you about 13 yrs to pay for a lion hunt at that rate. Might as well take out a loan and get it over with before we're all to old.... HA HA HA!!