Sign in to follow this  
AzHuntingAddict

First Coues Fall 2011

Opening morning.

CIMG4289.jpg

I have always heard hunting the coues deer was often times difficult, I found out why this year. We left early Friday morning to our unit since my brother-in law couldn’t get away from work sooner. Opening day was quiet and we found some nice sized bucks, but couldn’t get on them before sundown. Saturday brought the masses and it got crazy with all the jeeps, quads, and hikers crawling the mountain. Even hiking off the trails we found we were not alone as a few other hunting groups came thru. Sat on a guzzler down a ways and had some hikers come in to check it out, just couldn’t get away. Later that evening I found a good sized buck to take down, flipped open the scope cover and took off the safety. I had heard about buck fever and then realized what it was all about. Heart racing, the shakes set in and the view starts to narrow. All in a fraction of a second, it all ends. Two other hunters walk out just below me and chase after the buck I was about to take down. The thought came to fire anyways, but then the realization they would probably come up and woop my arse kept me level headed. They harvested the buck shortly after. Saturday we came up with nothing, and it got hot.

Hanging out in a crack on a boulder, the only shade.

CIMG4295.jpg

Sunday morning I found a big three point coming into a tank and was again about the seal the deal, and then someone else rolls by. A road hunter strolls by on his quad and rides around the tank and heads off towards the buck I have sighted in my scope. Please, please don’t take off I am yelling to myself as the guy in the quad gets closer. The buck disappears just as quickly as he came in, skunked again. I hike back around the ridge I was sitting on to my quad and head back to camp bummed out.

On the way back I pass a dozen or so jeeps out for a weekend ride. I come up the last turn up the hill to camp when a truck comes over the top and I put it into reverse to get out of the way. As I move back the quad begins to tip and rolls. I tried to bail out but got in the way as the quad rolled over the top of me. Thank goodness I didn’t lose a lot of weight for the biggest loser contest as my gut saved me. After the quad rolled over me and was about to get another roll on me, I had the guys from the truck running down to help me break free. The quad handle bars and back rack took the brunt and made me think about heading home; I was about to give up.

Shaken up, the next morning I hit it again and try to forget about the day before. I head back to find the buck I saw the day before, and hike up to the ridge to my spot just before the sun comes up. A couple of spikes show up first, and then the does and kids come in. It slows down and then a forkie comes to the party. I realize that this may be my last chance to get my first deer so I take aim. The buck piles up a few feet from where he was standing………its over. The emotion floods over me as I realize I have harvested my first deer. It is a small guy, one spike and one fork so I call him my sporkie.

CIMG4299.jpg

Compared to my brother in-laws.....sad.

size-deer.jpg

Having fun with the monster buck from unit 33!!!

CIMG4304.jpg

The rewards of the first harvest.

CIMG4347.jpg

Now the hard part is explaining to my uncle how I jacked his quad without messing around with it.

Congratulations on your first deer. I am glad there were no injuries from the Quad roll-over.

Sporkie is down !

Congrats on you first of many( we hope). Sporkie is gonna taste great.

Dude!

Heck of a write up and of course I love the cooking!

Good on you for making the best out of your tough hunt and congrats on your first!

Glad to hear you made it out alright! Those quad roll overs can be nasty! Looks like great shot placement on the buck. How far and what rifle/cliber?

30.06 at 200 yards. I have come to realize a 30.06 is Way to big for a small deer, pretty much cleaned the insides for me.

Cute little guy!

Cant tell you how many times my wife refers to my kill as "killing bambi, and not going after his dad". Little is an understatement, but hey it was my first!

Congratulations on your buck! I am so glad to hear you are ok after that quad rolled over you. wow, scary stuff!

Don't forget to enter your buck in the Coues Buck contest! They don't have to be monsters to win something! We have a smallest buck category and also will give a prize to some randomly picked people who enter the contest.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/Coues_Buck_Contest_2011/coues_buck_contest_2011-12.htm

Congrats on your first deer.

I hear those sporkies are rare critters so that is a great trophy!! Tried to talk a friend into going after the rare sporkie buck yesterday but he didn't believe me and wouldn't go.

That last picture is awesome!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I have to tell you that I LOVE this post. Unfortunately things didn't work out for you at first, or second but you stuck with it and it paid off. AND you were grateful and excited for the animal you harvested even though it was not the biggest one in the desert. Your last picture is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing!

Here a couple more from good ole sporkie. This was my first attempt at grilling backstrap, and it came out great. Even got my wife who hates venison enjoy it. Made a great Christmas dinner.

CIMG4352.jpg

CIMG4348.jpg

oh sorry - meant the 2nd to last picture. love the last one also along with your new additions but really like the 2nd to last picture. thanks again.