DryHeat

Intentionally rude or just ignorant?

First, let me take the opportunity to wish all a very Happy New Year. I'm posting this on the Bowhunt for Coues deer thread because I believe that was what the subject of my post was doing, however he could have been hunting javelina. Let me share an unfortunate experience with you and it is my sincere hope that the young man reads this and learns some sportsmanlike behavior, before he ruins another hunters opportunity to participate in their hunt of choice.

Two friends invited me to go duck hunting with them today, sort of our New Years tradition. I gladly accepted and along with their three labs we headed south of Tucson along the Sonoita Hwy. Right at first light we got to the our first tank , which I'll not name, (however it's about one mile east of the hwy for those that know the area) we did our usual routine of stopping before the last little rise, glassing into the tank for ducks and upon seeing some, backed up to a spot where we could park off the road. We got out, grabbed our shotguns, discussed our approach plan and started off. About then one friend and I noticed a vehicle coming down the road, the same way we had just come in. The friend decided to wait by the truck, so he could talk to the truck occupants and let them know we were hunting the tank. They didn't even bother to slow down, just waved and drove on by. Well, that was a bummer but then it got worse. For those not familiar with the tank, it sits below the roadway and at one point it is only about 100-150 feet from the roadway, so anything on the tank gets buggered by vehicles coming down the road past it. This is maybe the second or third time this has happened to us over the years on this particular tank and up to this point we were disappointed that someone would just drive on past our obvious intentions to hunt the tank, but then it got worse. The truck drove down to the road to a section that was as close as the road gets to the tank, jumped seven ducks off the tank, pulled off the road and parked. Two occupants got out, one grabbed a pack and a bow and they headed off up the hill on the north side of the tank. We believe it was a guy and a girl, doesn't really matter. What really matters is that they just ruined the tank for the entire duration of their stay. The ducks did circle back several times but wouldn't set down. About 45 minutes later when we came back to it watched a single duck come in circle three times and then head out. The real irritating part for us was the fact that there was no good reason for them to do what they did. The hill they hiked up was accessible from where we had parked, at the same distance and actually even a slightly less steep rise, or they could have driven past the tank and accessed the hill from just beyond the tank where their truck would not have been right next to the water. I think what they did was very unsportsmanlike, and as a bowhunter myself, a poor display of hunter ethics.

So to the young man in the late model silver Toyota, four door, lifted 4x4, with the "COUESWHITETAIL.COM" sticker in the right side back window, you might consider your actions a little bit more carefully when hunting on public land. There's plenty of space for all of us, and with just a little bit of consideration for each other we can all enjoy our hunts and share the comraderie and respect that naturally develops among hunters of strong character.

• Like 1

I think if they knew what your intentions were they would have approached it differently. Maybe they were running late to their spot and did not have time to chat. At least they waved!

• Like 3

if it's the 3rd time its happened it doesnt sound like it was this guys fault. find a better tank further from the road i guess. why would they stop to talk to you? were you flagging them down?

• Like 3

The problem with public land is that it is open to almost everyone. I tried a new area on Saturday where my ridges were busted up in three directions by unknowing hunters. I snuck out only to find myself between a flushed quail and a quail hunter. I went to the truck and will not hunt there again and there is no villain here. Although, I would be unhappy to see my truck and partial license listed on a forum by every hunter I drove by on a dirt road. Why not post a pic and license number of your own vehicle so that others can try to avoid your spots?

S**T Happens...;)

+1 Sounds like an innocent mistake. It doesn't sound like they intentionally screwed up your hunt.

• Like 1

Call me old school, I go with the first on the tank gets the hunt for that spot that day rule. Although we've had someone drive past us before, and really have no issue with other hunters going to their spots, this was the first time for stopping and parking at the tank. Late to their spot? as was so eloquently stated, S**t happens! They didn't have to park where they did to get up the hill.

• Like 1

I think the posting of even a partial license plate on the forums is Wrong... Is it possible that the said archery hunter maybe has spot, blind, or stand down a path that leads to the hole and he is doing what he has done in the past? Is it possible after seeing three guys with shotguns that he thought you were out for quail and he may need to double time it back to where he wants to be before the thunder sticks start booming? Was your buddy standing by the road or actually waving him down? I can see how you feel it is rude, but it is public land and dealing with all intrusions from the likes of hikers, recreational people, and other hunters is just part of the game. I would be surprised if that was the only water close and if you couldn't find those pond jumpers on one of the other tanks in the area. I would also think since it has happened several times in the past that a plan b and c would be in place for such instances.

Maybe next time the three of you should walk the middle of the road causing him to slow down so you can share your plans ;)

• Like 1

The nice thing about tank jumping is that you should have a handful of other tanks to hit after that. Bummer about the first group of birds but that shouldn't ruin your day. If they waved I'm sure they thought you guys were just being friendly as they drove by. Sorry if the responses aren't the sympathy you were hoping to receive.

• Like 1

This is a slippery slope. Hunter against hunter, both legally partaking in a beloved activity. The divide and conquer tactic is an age old favorite of the anti's.

To answer your question, they obviously were ignorant of the fact that you were duck hunting.

Bill Quimby

+1 The question was rude or ignorant. I'm betting ignorant. Rarely do I think of people jumping ducks right near a road and I might have been completely oblivious to it all.

As much as I understand your frustration... it isthe still public land. I bet the archery hunter was not pleased with you shooting where he is on an archery hunt. It happens to me. Someone shooting when I am out with stick and string. It sucks but we have to share the land. The guy was most likely ignorant. Flag the guy down next time asking him to stop and share your intentions. Good luck next year on your annual tradition.

Call me old school, I go with the first on the tank gets the hunt for that spot that day rule. Although we've had someone drive past us before, and really have no issue with other hunters going to their spots, this was the first time for stopping and parking at the tank. Late to their spot? as was so eloquently stated, S**t happens! They didn't have to park where they did to get up the hill.

Were you actually at the tank though? It sounds like you were on a main road far enough away that they wouldn't be clear on your intentions to hunt the tank. How would they know you were planning on hunting the tank?

• Like 1

Ignorant seems a little harsh. Was it me I would have thought quail hunters and waved as I went by. I wouldnt stop unless it became obvious they wanted to talk (I talk to people all day and dont want to when I'm out). And because I dont duck hunt it would have never crossed my mind. Sounds like it was just a lack of knowing what your intensions were, but not his fault. And a tank by a road is just an incident waiting to happen no matter what your hunting. Just my view.

post-3138-0-68847900-1325508927_thumb.jpg

• Like 1