Coues 'n' Sheep

January 2012... You can't kill all year long if you don't start the first day!

;) Congrats! hope you enjoyed the cigar, what a typical long tine buck..:)

Mike! The Cigar rocked! However it was a bit rough the next morning... :lol: . Thanks for coming by and sharing in the festivities! Cheers!

• Like 1

I have always thought about packing a deer out like that but thought it would swing back and forth too much. How do you keep it from doing that?

We have used that method for years... it has good and bad points but we don't like drawing coyotes into our hunting spots so we carry them out whole... you can walk for a long ways like this if the pole is long enough... and it is easier if both guys are the same height... :lol: It does not swing too much if you tie there heads up tight...

Well I'm screwed..... I only know a handful of hunters who are 6'4!!

Wow! Nice buck. Congratulations. I didn't know it was a race to get the first deer of the year. 110 or nothing for me, unless a deer walks by me. :D

Bob

I have always thought about packing a deer out like that but thought it would swing back and forth too much. How do you keep it from doing that?

We have used that method for years... it has good and bad points but we don't like drawing coyotes into our hunting spots so we carry them out whole... you can walk for a long ways like this if the pole is long enough... and it is easier if both guys are the same height... :lol: It does not swing too much if you tie there heads up tight...

Well I'm screwed..... I only know a handful of hunters who are 6'4!!

:lol: :lol: Just dont try it with a guy that is 5 foot nuthin'... :lol: :lol:

• Like 2

Great buck and great story from a great guy! Way to go Coues n Sheep...

After 91 hours of sitting... and passing lesser bucks it happened...

My archery coues hunting partner Jason Scarbrough (Jason Clay)has been sitting almost every day praying that the "Widowmaker" buck would cruise by in the day light... we have had few daytime pics of him over the last 2 Januarys but always hope that the Rutting will make those mature bucks slip up. Jason saw a "racked" buck rutting a doe up the hill in the AM and then had hot does in the bowl he was in all day long... by 3pm he was satarting to wonder "Where in the H-E-L-L are the big bucks!" He was pouting of course because he has 91 hours of waiting invested and countless days of scouting... He is the most Passionate and Deserving archery coues deer hunter I know and he was due!! Seconds later a doe came off the ridge to the north...and then it happened... here he came! A "No Brainer"! Bow in hand and shaking he has to wait for the buck to close a long 25 yds.... still shaking... Then finally, almost straight down at 22 yds the buck presents a broadside shot... he drew and time stood still... then the arrow was on its way! the buck wheeled and ran back the way he came at Mach 2 and as he topped the ridge he began to slow... then a sideways dance... and Crash! BBD! ...and it was him... it was the buck that he had obsessed over... Widowmaker!!!!

Congrats my Brutha!! We doubled on Thumpers!!!

post-996-0-05364600-1326381176_thumb.jpg

post-996-0-90540200-1326381188_thumb.jpg

post-996-0-89378200-1326381205_thumb.jpg

post-996-0-26976800-1326381266_thumb.jpg

• Like 2