Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Less Elk Permits, Increase Tag Fee ?

Who would pay more money for an elk tag, if Game and Fish agreed to give out fewer permits? I would!!

And yes, I would wait longer for a tag too, which is fine.

If revenue is behind the number of permits allocated, why not just try to generate the same amount of revenue by increasing the permit cost vs giving out more permits. Thinking back over my last 30 plus years of hunting in AZ, I enjoyed many quality elk hunts were I never saw another person. Now, we have hunts to were we have to dodge bullets. Specifically units 5A, 5B, 3C, 9, 10 and unit 1. I know some of these units have decreased tag numbers this year, but there are still way too many tags.

Let's not even start about all the Coues permits for the 30s and the 4 hunts each year.......

Who would pay more money for an elk tag, if Game and Fish agreed to give out fewer permits? I would!!

No

I would pay more and wait longer. Problem is game & fish would just wait a couble years and then add more tags to get more "HUNTER OPPORTUNITY".

I don't want to pay more, and with the time God has given men on this planet running out, I definitely don't want to wait.

Don't know where you're hunting, but I have never had to "dodge a bullet" in any area in Arizona -- even when we had a heck of a lot more hunters out there. I live in unit one six months a year and I can guarantee you that we have no shortage of elk.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: the most avid hunters and fishermen are our own worst enemies. We demand restrictions on ourselves that are neither necessary nor needed.

If you want to hunt elk without seeing other hunters, save your money and buy a landowner permit in New Mexico or Colorado. Don't mess it up for those of us who don't mind competition and want to be allowed to hunt close to home a few more times before we're planted six feet down.

Bill Quimby

I don't want to pay more, and with the time God has given men on this planet running out, I definitely don't want to wait.

Don't know where you're hunting, but I have never had to "dodge a bullet" in any area in Arizona -- even when we had a heck of a lot more hunters out there. I live in unit one six months a year and I can guarantee you that we have no shortage of elk.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: the most avid hunters and fishermen are hunting's and fishing's worst enemies. We demand restrictions on ourselves that are neither necessary nor needed.

Bill Quimby

Well said Bill. We can be our worst enemies by shooting ourselves in the foot.

TJ

• Like 1

No I would not like to pay more for tags and if I had to wait more than a year or 2

to hunt elk I would be very upset. I like things the way they are except the high priced tag fees ;) .

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: the most avid hunters and fishermen are our own worst enemies. We demand restrictions on ourselves that are neither necessary nor needed.

If you want to hunt elk without seeing other hunters, save your money and buy a landowner permit in New Mexico or Colorado. Don't mess it up for those of us who don't mind competition and want to be allowed to hunt close to home a few more times before we're planted six feet down.

Bill Quimby

Winner Winner!!!

Totally agree with Mr. Quimby and others. I don't think it's necessary at this point to cut permits or increase fees. Our trophy quality across the state is fantastic, and our generous allocation of cow permits has not seemed to hurt the herds at all from what I've seen.

I really feel AZG&F has done an outstanding job of managing our elk herds and hunts. While I don't agree with every game management stategy from AZGFD, I would give them an A+ for elk management.

If revenue is behind the number of permits allocated, why not just try to generate the same amount of revenue by increasing the permit cost vs giving out more permits. Thinking back over my last 30 plus years of hunting in AZ, I enjoyed many quality elk hunts were I never saw another person. Now, we have hunts to were we have to dodge bullets. Specifically units 5A, 5B, 3C, 9, 10 and unit 1. I know some of these units have decreased tag numbers this year, but there are still way too many tags.

Let's not even start about all the Coues permits for the 30s and the 4 hunts each year.......

Thank Janet Napolitano and her cronie game commissioners for the tag and fee increase's ... They are the ones that lumped the $$$ from the AZGFD into the general fund! These idiots looked at the tag fee's as a source to pay off Arizona's state deficit! Prior to this the AZGFD was the only state agency operating in the black. Perhaps with the new game commissioners Jan Brewer has appointed some of the damage can be reversed! B) I am all for less tags for elk and for deer... but I don't want to pay more for them! The extra sales tax that we pay for hunting and fishing gear needs to stay in the AZGFD and not be swept in the states general fund! Sportsman voted to pay the extra sales tax's under the condition the $ would be used for hunting , fishing and wildlife conservation! There would be no reason to rise tag and License fees if this $ was used as intended!