Sign in to follow this  
kevinhunt1

San Francisco River Hunt

When the results for the 2011 Big game draw came, I eagerly opened up the G&F website, entered my info and watched the results screen show up and I literally jumped out of my seat and choked when I saw that I was drawn for a Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep tag in Unit 27. The upper San Francisco River hunt which is close to where my Great Grandfather settled many years ago.

I made several scouting trips into the unit before the hunt.

We arrived at the hunt unit at the end of opening day, December 1st.

Unfortunately, it is cold, raining/snowing and its fogged in. It was too late to go out for the evening hunt so we stayed at camp, getting things prepared for the following days hunt.

post-5679-0-14835400-1326302912_thumb.jpg

post-5679-0-32330300-1326302946_thumb.jpg

John and I both knew the weather was supposed to be terrible for the next 4 or 5 Days, and that is exactly what happened. We were completely socked in, the canyon was nothing but white fog, you couldn’t see more than a couple hundred yards, but we still worked to try and locate sheep.

On the evening of the 3rd day Dan Lee arrived to lend a hand. On day 4 we were rewarded with some Big Horn Sheep Sightings. Dan glassed up a Ram that once evaluated, would fall somewhere between 150 and possibly close to 160, not bad… but not exactly what I am hunting for. There were 9 sheep in all and it was a relief to finally see some sheep with a legal tag and rifle in hand. The weather was still not real cooperative, but we made due.

John, Dan, and I headed out the next day, and once again we spotted the same Ram and Ewes from the day before, only this time we were close enough to really evaluate the Ram. He is definitely a Ram that will Score closer to 160. Dan also spotted another Ram that he thought was big, but the Ram was heading over a ridge and out of sight within minutes of locating him. So at least there are respectable Rams I can go back for near the end of the season… if… I cannot re-locate the big Ram we had seen during one of the scouting trips before the season. Dan had to leave that evening and I really appreciated that he took time out of his busy schedule to put his radar eyes to good use for me.

The next morning I saw 3 Rams, one small 5 year old Ram with 2 very young 3-4 year olds.

We checked around that ranch area off the Juan Miller and near the Blue River and 4 bar mesa without any sheep sightings and headed back to camp a couple of hours away. That evening another good friend, Mike Grootegoed (Hunting6), arrived at camp.

On the 7th day we went out to the edge of the canyon to glass not too far from camp, where I saw the same 3 small rams across the canyon the day before, found them again, then worked the edge of the canyon from different angles.

The 8th day we decided to go down into the canyon and work it from the bottom. We saw three small Rams that day. Tough hike coming out.

We decided on the 9th day to move to the other side of the canyon and work the edges there. The first hike in, the only sheep seen was one small Ram.

After a quick lunch, we headed down the road to another area where I had seen the big Ram before the season.

We stopped a few times along the road where you could glass.

After the 3rd stop, I spotted a Ram several hundred yards away from me. I immediately see that it is a good Ram.

We got out of the truck and put the spotting scope on him and determined that he was the big Ram we saw during one of the scouting trips before the season.

Of course, now that I decide to go after this Ram, adrenaline shoots through my body.

We hiked in, made a final stalk, to within shooting range.

Once in the scope, adrenaline still rushing through my body, I pull the trigger and immediately see the Ram is hit hard.

With the Ram down, now it is time to hike down the treacherous escarpment to get to him.

As I was walking up on him, his horns kept growing and the Ram came in at 170 gross. Now for the Horrendous pack out with him!

Thank God for friends like John and Mike to help with that or I would still be packing meat out of that canyon.

I was stoked, and this hunt turned out to be one of the best hunts I have ever been on.

I want to thank all the folks (too many to mention)who helped me with information before the hunt, glassing, and getting that sheep out of that hole!

What a great hunt in a Great State!... Go AZ.!!!

post-5679-0-51703700-1326303095_thumb.jpg

post-5679-0-21793700-1326394379_thumb.jpg

post-5679-0-71553800-1326303122_thumb.jpg

post-5679-0-73387700-1326303144_thumb.jpg

post-5679-0-34343000-1326303170_thumb.jpg

Kevin

I am familiar with the area and I know how much boot leather this country will make you use! That is an awsome Ram thanks for sharing your story and pics.

Congratulations on a beautiful ram. I'm still hoping I get drawn before I can't walk the canyons. Great picture and thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Awesome

Sounds liek a great hunt.

Have you already harvested a desert sheep?

I have. I was drawn for Desert BH in 2001. I know how lucky I am to have been drawn for both. In other threads on this forum, one sheep hunter, AZBULLHUNTER, stated " As a good friend told me before the hunt there is more to sheep hunting than just shooting a ram. He was right. As you all know sheep hunting is a privilege that should not be taken lightly. Very few people get to experience it. I have been fortunate to have done it twice." I have to echo his comments. What an awesome privelidge to get it once, much less twice. Such a majestic animal too. Not to mention all the great folks you get to meet because of being drawn, even right here on this forum. Congrats to AZbullhunter too, you got an awesome ram! I am willing to help anyone out there with sheep hunts too. What a great time.

Kevin,

I have to continuously congratulate you... if anyone deserved to get 2 sheep out of Arizona, you are the one.

I greatly appreciate being able to come along on this hunt. The Camp as well as all the food you supplied was pretty amazing as well.

We hunted hard and put some miles on our boots. I started out with fairly new boots, but after walking through that rock filled unit, they are falling apart and I didn't buy sub-par boots !

In the end it was all worth it. You successfully took an extremely good Ram in a Unit that does not hold many sheep. You have great hunting skills to say the least and you put those skills to good use which has enabled you to fulfill your 2nd sheep !!! Pretty Amazing.

I can't wait to see the Ram again after Dan Lee has it mounted.

Mike

Kevin, what a great ram - congratulations. Thanks for sharing the report and photos. You put in the time, the hard work, and harvested a super 170's ram. Those horns have great character - just like the hunter. It is also wonderful that you could share this hunt with good friends - well done. I am in total awe that soon you will have both bighorns hanging on the wall in your home - you're in a very elite group. I think it is wonderful that we have these great animals in our state and have an opportunity (however remote) to draw tags and hunt them.

What rifle and scope combination did you use?

Congratulations!

Nothing like a sheep hunt amazing animals.

[What rifle and scope combination did you use?

Hey Jeff! Thanks for the kudos! I wish everyone on this forum could get drawn for Sheep and experince the hunt! It was awesome. I use a .270 Weatherby Mag. with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 scope.

Congratulations Kevin on an awesome ram and hunt! Great story and pictures too. It means all the more to have shared it with close friends. You have a lot to be proud of and thankful for-my hats off to you sir.

Sincerely, Tommy

What a great ram! Thanks for sharing your pictures and your story with us. Sounds like you guys worked your butts off and all that hard work paid off bigtime. Congratulations to you and your crew! What an excellent reward!

I'm just hoping I get to live long enough and be lucky enough to draw that second coveted sheep tag here in our wonderful State of Arizona.

Great Job!

Nick