Str8Shot

What Happened to Gino's thread

I think it is unfortunate that the original thread was nuked. Obviously this was a topic that some people felt very strongly about. There are many other topics that share the same polarizing view points (baiting, land access, wildlife management, tag allocation, quality vs opportunity, politics, religion, etc.) We are (hopefully) all mature adults and should be able to discuss these topics without things getting out of control and resulting in threads being nuked.

I understand the original post was made as an FYI regarding someone using stands that were not his but were left in the field by other owners.

I think it is important to point out some facts around this topic:

FACT 1: people should leave things that do not belong to them alone.

FACT 2: we live in a world that (unfortunately) if you leave something (bike, car, tree stand, blind, trail camera, etc) out in a public place you are at risk of and taking a chance with that item possibly being tampered with or taken.

FACT 3: even though the law is not enforced, it is illegal to leave an item on National Forest and if an item is left, it is considered abandoned property.

FACT 4: even though the law is not enforced, it is illegal to alter a tree for the purposes of attaching something to it.

If you acknowledge, understand and agree with FACT 2, then some of the responsibility does fall on you, as the owner of the item, in taking the risk of leaving the item out in public in the first place.

Please post if you disagree with any of the facts that I have included. I know we all have opinions on what is right, wrong, ethical, unethical, immoral, etc. Feel free to share those opinions if done so in a respectful way.

• Like 3

My pm's have been cleared and am sending you pm's fellas.

SunDevil... I do agree.

• Like 2

Sun Devil-

I agree with you.

I would like to add that during these discussions, it serves absolutely no purpose what so ever to bring politics, religion, race, etc. etc. All that does is get people on the defensive, and they address the comments on politics, religion, race, etc. etc.. What they forget about is the topic that is being discussed. Hope that makes sense.

I think it is unfortunate that the original thread was nuked. Obviously this was a topic that some people felt very strongly about. There are many other topics that share the same polarizing view points (baiting, land access, wildlife management, tag allocation, quality vs opportunity, politics, religion, etc.) We are (hopefully) all mature adults and should be able to discuss these topics without things getting out of control and resulting in threads being nuked.

I understand the original post was made as an FYI regarding someone using stands that were not his but were left in the field by other owners.

FACT 2: we live in a world that (unfortunately) if you leave something (bike, car, tree stand, blind, trail camera, etc) out in a public place you are at risk of and taking a chance with that item possibly being tampered with or taken.

FACT 3: even though the law is not enforced, it is illegal to leave an item on National Forest and if an item is left, it is considered abandoned property.

FACT 4: even though the law is not enforced, it is illegal to alter a tree for the purposes of attaching something to it.

If you acknowledge, understand and agree with FACT 2, then some of the responsibility does fall on you, as the owner of the item, in taking the risk of leaving the item out in public in the first place.

Please post if you disagree with any of the facts that I have included. I know we all have opinions on what is right, wrong, ethical, unethical, immoral, etc. Feel free to share those opinions if done so in a respectful way.

Fact 1. I agree. It is all that needs to be stated (IMO) and don't understand why we need to go any further than that.

Fact 2 is a given. Unfortunately, that is.

Facts 3 and 4 are moot points. ESPECIALLY considering they're "not enforced", as you mentioned. If we really want to go down those slippery slopes I can guarantee that it won't help our general cause in the end. It's a technicality that doesn't seem to support anything but an ulterior motive and personal agenda. It's distracting. I'm not saying we can't speak our minds. I'm only saying we've got to be reasonable with our judgments and insinuations.

Fact 5- I WILL draw a bull tag this year!

• Like 1

May I summerize the subject in my perspective? Treestand guy has a few treestands out in the forest that he thinks will be good spots. He complains that lazy guy sat in one of his stands and left a thank you note that said, I didnt have time to scout so I used your scouting and stand to hunt.

Treestand guy thought that people should respect his property and not use it. Other posters took the devils advocate approach to tell tree stand guy that leaving treestands out did not give him the spot. And leaving treestands out was illegal. Treestand guy didnt want to hear that he shouldnt leave his stands out. And then treestand guy said he would do something nasty to lazy guy. Treestand guy became a lazy man when he said I dont want to carry my treestand in and out every day. Again people took both sides and the talk got a little too wordy especially as to violent actions.

The question still remains "if you break the law and someone comes along and uses the illegal stand then can you justify breaking the law ."

My perspective is that treestand guy and lazy guy are both wrong. But the slippery slope is "but it is not enforced". ;)

• Like 2

May I summerize the subject in my perspective? Treestand guy has a few treestands out in the forest that he thinks will be good spots. He complains that lazy guy sat in one of his stands and left a thank you note that said, I didnt have time to scout so I used your scouting and stand to hunt.

Treestand guy thought that people should respect his property and not use it. Other posters took the devils advocate approach to tell tree stand guy that leaving treestands out did not give him the spot. And leaving treestands out was illegal. Treestand guy didnt want to hear that he shouldnt leave his stands out. And then treestand guy said he would do something nasty to lazy guy. Treestand guy became a lazy man when he said I dont want to carry my treestand in and out every day. Again people took both sides and the talk got a little too wordy especially as to violent actions.

The question still remains "if you break the law and someone comes along and uses the illegal stand then can you justify breaking the law ."

My perspective is that treestand guy and lazy guy are both wrong. But the slippery slope is "but it is not enforced". ;)

AMEN!

• Like 3

AMEN!

It's all in how you look at it.. Through rose colored glasses or through "RED"

• Like 2

Wow, I feel like I am now caught up on what the original thread was about! Interesting! Let's hope this time it can remain civil. It might even be better to start a different thread about the legalities of this stuff.

Fact 1. I agree. It is all that needs to be stated (IMO) and don't understand why we need to go any further than that.

Fact 2 is a given. Unfortunately, that is.

Facts 3 and 4 are moot points. ESPECIALLY considering they're "not enforced", as you mentioned. If we really want to go down those slippery slopes I can guarantee that it won't help our general cause in the end. It's a technicality that doesn't seem to support anything but an ulterior motive and personal agenda. It's distracting. I'm not saying we can't speak our minds. I'm only saying we've got to be reasonable with our judgments and insinuations.

Fact 5- I WILL draw a bull tag this year!

Jake - I dont know if you hunt from tree stands or not. If you do, I sure hope when you draw your bull tag this year there are not 4 - 5 treestands already on every known water tank in your unit. I hunted 5A a couple years ago with a friend and was completely amazed at how many tree stands were out there. I only forsee it getting worse and eventually, and unfortunately, require government interaction.

Heck if argumentative golfers in TX are stabbing one another with non-lethal broken golf club shafts over speed of play, I only forsee, unfortunately, much worse things happening in the future among guys armed with lethal weapons.

Chris,

If I draw a bull tag, treestands are the least of my worries.

No doubt that with certain "trophy tags" comes some pretty ridiculous actions in the field. You're in for a treat this year or next. But it doesn't change MY thoughts on whether or not I'd sit in someone else's stand because it "was there". It's not mine and it would never cross my mind.

If you're asking me if I think a stand or blind claims a waterhole or trail, NO WAY! There are practical ways to look at this. Ways we all know, yet some choose to ignore.

• Like 2

Chris,

If I draw a bull tag, treestands are the least of my worries.

No doubt that with certain "trophy tags" comes some pretty ridiculous actions in the field. You're in for a treat this year or next. But it doesn't change MY thoughts on whether or not I'd sit in someone else's stand because it "was there". It's not mine and it would never cross my mind.

If you're asking me if I think a stand or blind claims a waterhole or trail, NO WAY! There are practical ways to look at this. Ways we all know, yet some choose to ignore.

Strange more folks don't think like this statment. Good post.

• Like 2

Been learkin here a bit not wantin to highjack the thread but feelin the urge to inject another pet P into the mix. I'm a old goat in my mid 70's and carrying a little less testosterone and macho muscle mass than I usta so have for the past 15 or better yr's been using the help of a couple of Friends (dogs I call them .. but they pack more, don't require the food carrying or the looking for water "or gates" of real dog's ) and after we've packed into the quiet spots and I'm leaned back against one of my Friends who's laying there chewing his cud, I start hearing the rat-tat-tat of a scooter or the roar of a grinder coming our way that makes the hair on my stiffing neck start to stand up , that's when I usually recall what and old Indian friend use to say (he was 20yr's my senior , raised on the reservation and had gone through 3 or 4 different denominational schools and learned several different bible versions front to rear , he also was able to compare several different lifestyles by the end of college and he often joked ,with some humility, about the rituals he preformed before the hunt . I finally notice that he needed a short spell of quiet to himself after he had taken an animal - which he explained was a kind of requirement, a little like having to go to church on Sunday morn )

then he added one time " I'm dam ed glad I was able to run these hills before all the competition arrived and started trying to lay claim their little christian domains"

It's about this time I lay back thinking to myself, those poor folks (the rat-tat-tat-grinders) probably don't have a place to keep a pack goat .. but that doesn't mean they don't have any less need than me and it really makes me glad I'm not the one having to make the rules & reg's as it sure points out the problems of a democracy trying to include everyone. Civilization really needs a pack goat and a good Indian friend.

• Like 1