Sign in to follow this  
COOSEFAN

Friend and Family Hunt In Sonora (part 2)

Alright, now for part 2.

So with 3 days spent on the first ranch we packed up and headed to the next ranch to check it out for the remainder of the hunt.

Here's some pics of the second ranch...

MexicoDMG_2574_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2539_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2596_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2553_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2540_edited-1.jpg

Here's some cool pics that Manny B. took and some of the crew...

MexicoDMG_2582_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMGMannysCam_2842_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMGMannysCam_2839_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMGMannysCam_2859_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2489_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMGMannysCam_2797_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMGMannysCam_2863_edited-1.jpg

AND, of course, there were TONS of bucks running around like crazy with only one thing on their minds!!!

MexicoDMGMannysCam_2970_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2547_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2542_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2569_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2558_edited-1.jpg

Basically, anywhere you glassed, at any time of the day, you would glass up deer! It was overwhelming but absolutely awesome! After a couple days went by with a crazy amount of bucks being spotted we realized that any 100" class buck was going to be a shooter. I don't know how many 80's class bucks we saw total but I know it's a crazy number! There were a bunch in the 90's and several bucks spotted that would break the 100" mark. 2 of those bigger bucks are lucky to be alive today and can thank the strong crosswind in the canyons for it! :rolleyes: A couple of those sidehills on that ranch are a lot heavier now too! :P

Eventually on the second to last day Gary, Santos and I found a nice buck that Gary just couldn't pass on. The buck was bedded at 630 yards and was well inside Garys comfort range with his 30-378 Coues Canon! Like was typical, we had a variable crosswind but not as hard as usual. Gary made the calculations with his Droid, dialed it up and settled in for the shot. BOOM...MISS! Buck got up and trotted a little farther, re-range, re-adjust. BOOOM...MISS! Gary was trying his hardest to dope the ever changing wind and finally at 687 yards, buck broadside, BOOM....WHOP!!!!

It was getting late and the canyon and terrain were too steep and nasty to cross in the dark and finding the buck would be almost impossible in the dark so we picked out markers and hiked out. The next morning the cowboys rode horses in and picked the buck up for us!!! CAN'T BEAT THAT!!! Here they are saddling up and packin' out our buck!

MexicoDMG_2491_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2498_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2507_edited-1.jpg

Here's Gary's nice buck! Good mass and character and we were all happy Gary got a nice buck, he worked very hard for it and passed up a TON of bucks in the process!

MexicoDMG_2528_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2521_edited-1.jpg

One thing I really wanted for the boys was to get into some Javi's. We would see them daily but always at prime time and not wanting to spook any deer we always passed up the opportunity. On the last morning while eating breakfast, Manny B. sat on the porch and glassed the hill behind the house. I had just grabbed my plate of bacon and eggs when Manny came in sayin' "I GOT PIGS"! With my plate of bacon and eggs in one hand I ran out and set up the tripod and my .300 with the Loc Jaw/Rifle Railz. I was trying to eat at the same time and eventually got breakfast down and the gun set up! Everyone got their glasses out and set up and one by one the boys sat behind the rifle, I would range a pig and dial the turret, everyone would line up on the right pig with their binos and BOOOM....WHOP! "PIG DOWN"! Who's next?!!!! Everyone got a chance to sit in behind the gun and each took a pig with 1 shot, the closest pig was 515 yards and the farthest pig was 689 yards!

We were supposed to be on the road heading home, but instead we all finally got our pigs so we were OK with leaving late! Santos, Manny and I headed up there and found each pig, gutted them and drug em' back to the house. The best part is that the locals LOVE Javalina meat and each pig we took was appreciated by the locals!

Mexico2012DMG3_2997_edited-2.jpg

Thanks if you read through my long winded posts, I tried to keep em' short but pic heavy, I know you all like pics! Thanks and huge congrats to Popps, Gary and Manny B.!!! JIM>

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Great looking deer from all involved! Love how beautiful the country is down there! When we were down there we ran into a bunch of the leaf-cutter ants. Kept my small mind busy for hours watching them while I was sitting in my deer blind, amazing little creatures! :P

Love the javi pic! Congrats on a great adventure!

Jim, remember this old thread?

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11667&st=0

That ranch was way way fun to hunt!!!

HA! That's wild! I just read through your old post and I actually learned of yet another waterhole that I didn't know was there until I saw one of your pics! It's actually the picture of my buddy glassing next to my Toyota, if I was to turn around and walk up the canyon behind me I'd be right where you have a picture of a big waterhole nestled up there...I didn't know about that one! My buddy, the nephew of the ranch owner, has been trying to get me to hunt that ranch for several years now but always been too busy learning other ranches. I'm glad we finally made it there, one of the prettiest and neatest ranches I've ever hunted!

You're definitely living the good life Jim. Congratulations on all the success and for sharing with those of us that may never get to witness this beautiful coues country of theirs. :)

TJ

Very nice Jim and crew! Beautiful looking ranch and bucks, great pictures as well.

Wow Jim, way to cool. Thanks for sharing your fun stories with us. I just read part 1 and 2 and and love them. Againt thanks and take care.

Ernesto C

Jim,

I always look forward to your posts.

Both parts 1 and 2 were great threads with some awesome pictures.

Some are crystal clear too. Nice bucks and congrats to you all.