Sign in to follow this  
JLW

question

I have seen plenty of waterhole that have fish and always wondered how they got there.

from a flood? from birds?

I sat a waterhole the other day that had hundreds of goldfish.

how did they get there? did someone put them there?

just curious......

will post up pics in a little while.

james

I've been told that fertilized fish eggs will stick in the feathers of ducks and geese and they transport them to new waterholes. Made sense to me but don't know for sure that is how it happened. Some of the goldfish are planted to clean up tanks/ponds, I know of a few steel tanks with fish in them.

AZGFD would never plant goldfish. Pond jumping birds (ducks, etc) can do it, but most likely someone decided to dump their aquarium fish instead of flushing them down the toilet.

Flood is another good guess. If any waterholes up stream have fish, the ones downstream will eventually also.

Was the aforementioned goldfish pond in Unit 21 by chance?

I don't kiss and tell :lol:

but uhhhh yeah it was.

james

I have seen MANY a water hole with wild waterdogs

I saw a show on those.

the waterhole can be dry for years but as soon as it rains enough to hold water long enough they eggs hatch

and start growing. I think they said they were toad of some kind. they start eating each other when the pond runs out of food. they look like waterdogs but that's just a metamorphism stage.

james

That is the pond I throw all the gold fish my kids win at the school fair.

I know that tank very well. I would guess with goldfish someone just dumped them there. I am pretty sure there is a species of catfish that will burrow deap into the mud and lay dormant when the water dries up. Then when the water returns they come back.

James shoot me a PM and let me know how you did on the tank. I'm always curious to get other people's experiences with areas I know well.

I know that tank very well. I would guess with goldfish someone just dumped them there. I am pretty sure there is a species of catfish that will burrow deap into the mud and lay dormant when the water dries up. Then when the water returns they come back.

James shoot me a PM and let me know how you did on the tank. I'm always curious to get other people's experiences with areas I know well.

blake,

your pms must be full.

I just sent you about 3 paragraphs and it says you can't receive any new messages.

I suck at typing so that was a drag! :lol: :lol:

James

dang sorry man. I'll delete a bunch. You can email me if it's easier. lanoue25@yahoo.com

duck feathers? maybe it was aliens. c'mon guys, folks put em there. usually the rancher. when i was kid just about every pond, water trough and tank had goldfish in it. my grandad would always put them there because he thought they helped keep the moss down. when i was a kid the spring was drying up at a place we called the lamb hotel and we took some barrels in and rescued all the goldfish and transported them to a steel tank because my grandad didn't want his poor goldfish to die. i can think of a dozen places right now that have goldfish in them. used to be every stock tank on the san carlos rez had trout in it. stocked by the azgfd. now most of them have bass and catfish now. Lark.

1328039211[/url]' post='292739']

I've been told that fertilized fish eggs will stick in the feathers of ducks and geese and they transport them to new waterholes. Made sense to me but don't know for sure that is how it happened. Some of the goldfish are planted to clean up tanks/ponds, I know of a few steel tanks with fish in them.

No, no,no. They are transported through chupacabre droppings.

the goldfish I saw were in steel tanks

There used to be fish in Bear Grass Tank, supposedly ducks/geese from Arivaca Lake carried the eggs. It dried up a few years ago so no fish now. Also caught fish in the tailing ponds at Ruby, per the old caretaker Tommy they got there the same way. I don't know, not a biologist nor do I play one on tv, the explanation sounded plausible to me.

Used to carry a rod/reel to check tanks for fish. Back in the day quite a few tanks would have bass, catfish but usually bluegills. Sadly, not too many tanks seem to hold fish these days. Too bad, it's alway a good time pulling on fish.