bigorange

Desert shed hunting advice

I've never done any shed hunting...have come across them by chance before, but was not actually looking for them.

I haven't had a chance to look through this forum very much, but wondering what advice folks might have for desert shed hunting in the Southern AZ units? Are there specific areas where you tend to find sheds more often, or is it more a matter of just getting out there and covering a lot of ground? Thanks!

I've never done any shed hunting...have come across them by chance before, but was not actually looking for them.

I haven't had a chance to look through this forum very much, but wondering what advice folks might have for desert shed hunting in the Southern AZ units? Are there specific areas where you tend to find sheds more often, or is it more a matter of just getting out there and covering a lot of ground? Thanks!

Cover some ground, then cover some more ground, and when you think you've covered it all, go cover some more. Make sure your looking side to side, behind you, everywhere. Don't know how many times I've walked passed a shed only to glance back and see it behind a tree. Don't get discouraged at first, soon as you find one you'll forget about all the ground you've covered without finding one. Good luck!

Main thing is to look for horns where the animals are when they shed. And some guys Are antler savants too. They just find em. Lark.

Savants, and each sentence beginning with a capital letter and ending with a period? Lark, I thought I would never see the day.

I've circled February 6, 2012, on my calendar! :o

Bill Quimby

Bill...

you now know the reason why i rarely post...

:ph34r:

Savants, and each sentence beginning with a capital letter and ending with a period? Lark, I thought I would never see the day.

I've circled February 6, 2012, on my calendar! :o

Bill Quimby

:D

Can be pretty dry in the desert the time of year they shed. I start around water and work out from there. Honestly they could be anywhere so cover alot of ground but work slow.

I've stumbled upon a lot of elk and deer sheds over the years, but never when I tried to seriously search for them. Perhaps the secret is to just walk around, glass and enjoy being out in good elk and deer country.

Bill Quimby

Coues deer don't shed their antlers till April or even May when it is already 100+ in the desert so here is my advice for desert shed hunting: Take lots of water, sunscreen, and watch out for snakes! Let me know how it goes while I am up in the cool pines looking for elk sheds that are a lot easier to see.

Coues deer don't shed their antlers till April or even May when it is already 100+ in the desert so here is my advice for desert shed hunting: Take lots of water, sunscreen, and watch out for snakes! Let me know how it goes while I am up in the cool pines looking for elk sheds that are a lot easier to see.

Ditto that!! I find almost all my elk sheds by glassing them. I can't imagine doing that for coues sheds, I'm sure it's been done. Probably while hunting vs. actually trying to glass them.