aintnopilgrim

The AZ One Shot Challenge

I have been reading posts on this site periodically for a number of years now, sometimes with the greatest of chuckles. The topics that really get me going are the ones where the bragging starts with how long the shot were. :ph34r: I don't just read posts that make these claims, it has become big in magazines, just anything by Craig Boddington, it has also become more common to talk about shooting long range with the average hunter.

Lets face it, the majority of hunters in the field today have no business shooting at the ranges commonly refferenced in the hunt stories posted on this site, found in popular magazines and the stories told by all to many hunters today.

The flatest shooting rifles drop around least 15" at 400 yards and drop off considerably more by 450. Most rifles shooting factory ammunition would be hard pressed to shoot better than an 4" group at that distance, even with the best of shooters behind the trigger. And lastly, most rifles with the exception of some of the larger calibers, do not deliver enough energy at 400 yards to kill cleanly if the bullet strikes bone.

Maybe I only end up reading posts and articles from the best of the best or end up listening to stories from guys that get everything to go just right or maybe I'm just not reading carefully but how many people can pull off shots at 400+ without missing often enough to call taking those kind of shots in the field unethical?

I would venture to say not many. So now I went and did it. I said it. Those of you with inflated egos will respond by saying I don't know what I'm talking about and those of you who know better might not bother to comment but the truth is most hunters have no business shooting at an animal the size of a coues deer at distances greater than 300 yards, that is, if they should even be shooting that far.

When stories like these get repeated enough the prevailing wisdom says, if they can do ti so can I. We should be careful what we promote when we discuss our hunting adventures as we may just be promoting unethical behavior.

With all that said, I think a reality check is in order for all you long range advocates. I think that someone should promote a low cost shooting competition that would test anybodys ability. Here is my big idea.

You get one shot. You can use any equipment you can carry to your shooting location after walking a mile in steep terrain and sitting quiet and still for at least an hour. The target will represent the actual live weight and size of an average coues buck. The shot oportunity will be random by placing the target in different locations at varied yardages from 400 to 500 yards. The target will move, stop, and turn at different angles but do so within a limited time frame. The target may at any time be moved out of site at running speed to represent being sppoked by another hunter. And last but not least any shooter making a hit in an area no larger than the vitals on an average coues buck will then have to walk all the way home, no it wouldn't matter how far they drove, leaving all their equiptment behind for the eventual winner because they wounded an animal that had little chance of of being recovered. Shooters would advance to the next round by single elimination until the last shooter had the best record. If the last two shooters miss, all on the equipment would be sold and the proceeds would go to building a monument to all the braggers that thought they should shoot passed their ability.

Sounds like fun to me. It would really be put up or shut up time then. ;) ;) :o

Okay pilgrim, if you want to donate all of your gear to me then I will take it! :ph34r:

Pilgrim,

I do not quite understand the contest....

You wrote...

And last but not least any shooter making a hit in an area no larger than the vitals on an average coues buck will then have to walk all the way home, no it wouldn't matter how far they drove, leaving all their equiptment behind for the eventual winner because they wounded an animal that had little chance of of being recovered.

Why penalize a good shot? Placement in an area the size of vitals is the goal isn't it? :blink: :blink:

I would say there are some folks who are VERY capable of shooting long ranges, but cannot recall anyone on this site bragging about such a shot. Most people here will even express that they would not take a shot unless they have practiced and were proficient at the range required. Furthermore, most people here spot the deer at long distances, but then make every effort to stalk in and find the best spot with the closest range to take the shot. I believe a person should take any shot they are capable of and pass on the shots that are unrealistic, or untested.

Maybe you are referring to the chatter on another site?

I thought it sounded about like CHD also....

I have been reading posts on this site periodically for a number of years now, sometimes with the greatest of chuckles. The topics that really get me going are the ones where the bragging starts with how long the shot were. :blink: I don't just read posts that make these claims, it has become big in magazines, just anything by Craig Boddington, it has also become more common to talk about shooting long range with the average hunter.

Lets face it, the majority of hunters in the field today have no business shooting at the ranges commonly refferenced in the hunt stories posted on this site, found in popular magazines and the stories told by all to many hunters today.

The flatest shooting rifles drop around least 15" at 400 yards and drop off considerably more by 450. Most rifles shooting factory ammunition would be hard pressed to shoot better than an 4" group at that distance, even with the best of shooters behind the trigger. And lastly, most rifles with the exception of some of the larger calibers, do not deliver enough energy at 400 yards to kill cleanly if the bullet strikes bone.

Maybe I only end up reading posts and articles from the best of the best or end up listening to stories from guys that get everything to go just right or maybe I'm just not reading carefully but how many people can pull off shots at 400+ without missing often enough to call taking those kind of shots in the field unethical?

I would venture to say not many. So now I went and did it. I said it. Those of you with inflated egos will respond by saying I don't know what I'm talking about and those of you who know better might not bother to comment but the truth is most hunters have no business shooting at an animal the size of a coues deer at distances greater than 300 yards, that is, if they should even be shooting that far.

When stories like these get repeated enough the prevailing wisdom says, if they can do ti so can I. We should be careful what we promote when we discuss our hunting adventures as we may just be promoting unethical behavior.

With all that said, I think a reality check is in order for all you long range advocates. I think that someone should promote a low cost shooting competition that would test anybodys ability. Here is my big idea.

You get one shot. You can use any equipment you can carry to your shooting location after walking a mile in steep terrain and sitting quiet and still for at least an hour. The target will represent the actual live weight and size of an average coues buck. The shot oportunity will be random by placing the target in different locations at varied yardages from 400 to 500 yards. The target will move, stop, and turn at different angles but do so within a limited time frame. The target may at any time be moved out of site at running speed to represent being sppoked by another hunter. And last but not least any shooter making a hit in an area no larger than the vitals on an average coues buck will then have to walk all the way home, no it wouldn't matter how far they drove, leaving all their equiptment behind for the eventual winner because they wounded an animal that had little chance of of being recovered. Shooters would advance to the next round by single elimination until the last shooter had the best record. If the last two shooters miss, all on the equipment would be sold and the proceeds would go to building a monument to all the braggers that thought they should shoot passed their ability.

Sounds like fun to me. It would really be put up or shut up time then. :blink:  :lol:  :lol:

Put the bong down dude...I dont think that most coues are takin over 250 ;) yards ;)

I dont know what treestand u sit or skyscraper you hail from but in this country we don't take little girl shots from a box with a deer under a feeder at 25 yards. It sounds like you need to d up and put that 30 gun down take some real money and buy a big boy rifle, so u can compete with the rest of the big dogs. I along with my buddy will bet our res tags you cant hang in the 500 to 600 yrd range. Open a book look on the net for new ballistics on new calibers or maybe you can't even do that. If you don't like this site the langerie section in th sears catalog would work well for you.

aintnopilgram,

Are you the one goin to be runnin around with that target in your hands at 400yds :blink:

If so I'm in :blink:

ANP,

You are totally right, any shot past 400 is not doable. They should never even be attempted by any but the most uneithical, irresponsible, lamest goons on Earth. You shouldn't hunt around them, so if you see my truck please turn around and leave as you will be disapointed with what you are fixing to see. My truck is gold Tacoma 4x4 regular cab :blink:.

Bret "Goon #1" M.

You are right a little bit, most hunter's probaly shouldn't be shooting that far. But in this day and age with all the new 300's & WSM's that are out and the info on reloading,new lazer range finders, New scopes by Leupold & Swaroski there are plenty of guy's I know that can and will take all of your equipment. So pony up.

I am only speaking for myself. I spend months shooting at distance's of 300-400-500-600 yds. I use a custom 300 RUM,Leupold 6.5-20-50 with two extra wire's for distance. I know for a fact where I'm hitting at all of those distance's.

You never know when your going to glass up that buck of a lifetime up. You might not have a chance to get closer. With all of my summer practice I hope it pays off. It has in the past.

I've been posting on this site for a while but I been reading it for a lot longer. I don't recall any member's bragging about long range shots. Other than Casey and that 25ft shot at those two lions :blink: that were eating from the feeder that Scottyboy let those UDA's carry across the border :lol: :blink: . I would hope that we all have more respect for the animals that we hunt than to just go taking pot shots. You can have all the equipment to make those long range shots but you have to know how to use it.

Let me know what day were shooting.

I agree with some of what the Pilgrim said. I think most people exagerate the distance they are actually shooting at simply because they are not familiar with distances.

I am also concerned with the direction hunting is heading. It seems like every body is shooting a magnum this or a super dupper that. What ever happened to standard calibers and good 'ol hunting skills. It seems now days several members of a hunting party will "pin down a deer" with two way radios while their buddy rides over to their location on his/her quad and "blasts" the animal with their "magnum". What happened to the good 'ol days?

Guest Ernesto C

You talked about ethics.................if a buck is moving or running at 400 or 500 yards and time is limited why push your luck? Come back tomorrow and look for the buck and make it easier.

Each and every one of us know our limitations and I know there is people here that can hit a 6 or 8 inch circle at 400 yards easy

I personally will not take your challenge cause I have nothing to prove to any one cause I know what I'm capable to do,I know how and when and there are some things that just aren't a challenge.(but praise the Lord for the ability).

Finding a B&C book buck...............now,that's a challlenge!!

But let me tell you something,if you want to read articles from the BEST OF THE BEST then you have come to the right place.............we not only have the best people here but the best hunters too,maybe one day you'll have the blessing (or maybe you already have cause you said you have read this site for many years) to meet great hunters such Scott Adams,Bill Quimby,Danny Howard,Amanda Moors,Rich Thompson,Doug,Allent Taylor and etc etc,etc,etc. The list is long my friend and I can keep going on and on so to each its own.

God bless and have fun with challenge,I will love to attend if you need an abserver :blink: cause I also like to have fun.

No I think you are not CHD but I'm sure you definetly are not a newbie either.

Ernesto C

Responsible hunters show respect for wildlife

that is a great idea! i would love to see something like that at ben avery shooting range. hike up a hill and have deer sized targets at 200 300 400 500 yrds with no bench rest" hunting conditions" .that would settle some of these guys down. and would put some reality in some hunters.now the guys that can shoot that far. it would be a great show and i would love some pointers from them.there is a lot of guys that "can" shoot that far.i would love to be one of them.the one and only coues i have shot was at 325 yrds and that was far for me.

what a great idea we should all get together before we go huntin and set up some steel targets and that way we can see what we HIT and what we dont.

ANP,

I have a good friend who's a taxidermist in Ohio. When we first met he wanted to show me what a good shot with his bow he was. He hit a green chili pepper at 20 yards, turned to me, and smiled.

I'll always give someone credit where it's due and agree with them to a certain extent when they're excited about their own personal accomplishments but when I saw this, I realized that people have limitations because they hold themselves back. In no way am I condoning long shots for those who think they're capable but I am confident that the average shot, if taught the right way and are adament about practice, can close to double their distance and make a consistant shot in the vitals with confidence- every shot!.

I shoot a .338 Win Mag. You name it, the works have been done to this rifle. Overkill? To some, maybe. It works well for me, like it and I'll use it. I topped it off with a Leupold 6.5-20x40mm LRT. I think most hunters believe shots beyond 300 yards are impossible because they can't see "behind the shoulder" or a spot with their 3x9 scope at those distances. I don't blame them for thinking the shot's too far. For them it is.

With todays technology (i.e. rangefinders, quality optics, ballistiplex or just "dialing in"), hundreds of shooting and reloading books; not too mention the priceless info on the 'ol magic box (computer), we should really be pushing ourselves to become better shots; no matter the distance. I have limits. We all do. And we should all excersize those limits in respect to game. To my buddy in Ohio, it's 30 yards and that's it.

If my wife didn't know about the possibility of me losing my rifle (possibility only because many people could out-shoot me but a vital shot is a vital shot), I'd take your challenge and make you eat your words as many shooters could. My rifle's got close to $2,000 invested in it. This rifle could easily perform 400-500 yard shots. What I'm saying is some package deal down at Wal-mart probably won't perform as well. Trajectory doesn't mean much when you don't have to aim off the animal (no, you don't have to be zeroed in @ 4 or 500 either).

I may upset some people and they may think I'm un-ethical because I have no problem taking these shots if the situation is right. We should be proud of our accomplishments, and many, many hours of practice to make these shots possible.

ANP, I assure you that if you had the right set-up, attitude and technique, even you could shoot 400 yards. Maybe I'm kidding myself........

Call it an inflated ego. No big deal. I call it years of practice and a profound respect for the animal I choose to hunt.

There is some truth to your words. Most hunters shouldn't be taking these shots. The average shooter shouldn't think twice about flinging lead across a canyon at "long ranges". Practice doesn't make you perfect (only because we're human) but it gets you closer than sitting on your tail would!