Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Average callin

Alright, my last post brought up another question...... What is your call-in ration? I took a guy from back east calling a couple years ago. In several outings he managed to miss 17 different shots on called in predators... everything from 20 yards to a couple hundred. At any rate, he asked me what was my call in ratio. After some deliberation, ( that means thinking/ problem solving etc. for you rednecks) I came up with 1:5. My best day was 11 dogs by noon, and my worst run of bad luck ever is now.

So the question is posed.... What is your average ???

Thanks,

Whitey

I don't get out much calling anymore, but there was a time when I called a ton where I was probably 1 successful stand out of every three or four. Best day was 4 stands before 10AM. Called in 4, 1, 4 and 1 respectively. Worst streak is also right now. I haven't counted my outings, but I'm guessing I've only had 2 or 3 successful stands out of the last 20 or so.

I don't get out much calling anymore, but there was a time when I called a ton where I was probably 1 successful stand out of every three or four. Best day was 4 stands before 10AM. Called in 4, 1, 4 and 1 respectively. Worst streak is also right now. I haven't counted my outings, but I'm guessing I've only had 2 or 3 successful stands out of the last 20 or so.

I blame the Fox Pro. Before the ecaller I did a ton better with my mouth calls. Now (yes I have a fox pro also) my ratio has gone down hill a bit...

I blame the Fox Pro. Before the ecaller I did a ton better with my mouth calls. Now (yes I have a fox pro also) my ratio has gone down hill a bit...

I am about 50/50 using the FoxPro and mouth calls. I will use the FoxPro when I think I might have a chance at a bobcat and have to call longer. Other than that, I like the mouth calls. IMO the trick is to get a wide variety of mouth calls and not the ones you usually see at every sporting goods store in America. There are a lot of good calls being made out there by avid predator hunters. No one has more experience on what works and doesn't than the guys who spend 100's of days in the field every year.

blame the e-callers all you want but with sooo many people going out calling these days, that has a big effect on the coyotes reaction to the call. the fact more people are out calling these days has some to do with it. If people pound an area with the same sounds from a caller they may shy a bit so your mouth call should be like music to their ears.

when they get educated obviously they will be hard to call. If they are hearing the same sounds they will wise up! if the wind is slight they may not circle as bad but with a steady breeze the smart ones will definitely circle and thus you may never see them depending on how thick the cover or how far they start to circle. there is a reason they are one of the top predators out there.

with that said there are people that can take you out and consistently call in coyotes. 1:4 or 1 coyote to 4 stands is a very good ratio. I have yet to achieve that ratio I'm about 1:7. I think stand choice is a big factor. if you are in an area that doesn't receive a lot of pressure you will know right away! I have found a couple places like this and it sure is a blast. 1 place up north we made a few stands during a cow elk hunt. we made about 5 set and called in 2 on 1 set and 2 on another set and the other 3 sets were dry as far as predators.

there is nothing like calling an area that gets very little pressure but hard to find, close to the valley anyways. I'm not a big fan of calling in the low desert but know people that slay um.

I; like many others; don't get out to call very often anymore. I usually have to combine a few stands with hanging cameras or a scouting trip because $ is tight.

James

I bought a foxpro fiestrom and topped it with a fox jack and wow first timeout yesterday I had a fox come running right up to the call then run off to my left it all happened so fast I did not have time to shoot. I am about 1:5 right now. I noticed if you use more coyote vocals (female) it brings them in a little faster then the ol rabbit in distress. I called in 2 at my last stand yesterday using only vocals and man again I really need to work onn my setups because I had no time to shoot and they were on top of me fast. I alot of times opt not to shoot just to see how they act and react.

I got goose egged today. I tryied some new areas out by Bartlett. Plenty of sign but pretty hot out. Ill try again next weekend.

Right now, I have to say a big ole nothing. I dont have a ratio because I would have had to call one in to put against the number of stands. In years past I would have to say about 2.5 to 3:1 for an average. For every three stands or so there would be something come in. Some days would be every other stand and some only every third or fourth.

On another note, one of my best days, my brother and I had 4 stands and killed 14 coyotes (me 6 him 8), but that was an exceptional year for coyotes

If I could get my buddy John to take me out and show me how to call I wouldn't have to shoot them at work. First dog down last week. My first

I bought a foxpro fiestrom and topped it with a fox jack and wow first timeout yesterday I had a fox come running right up to the call then run off to my left it all happened so fast I did not have time to shoot. I am about 1:5 right now. I noticed if you use more coyote vocals (female) it brings them in a little faster then the ol rabbit in distress. I called in 2 at my last stand yesterday using only vocals and man again I really need to work onn my setups because I had no time to shoot and they were on top of me fast. I alot of times opt not to shoot just to see how they act and react.

12 guage helps with that alot, especially if they are in and out quick.

12 guage helps with that alot, especially if they are in and out quick.

I know I am now carrying a shotgun to each location. I usually have them hang up out at a distance but not now. I grabbed some number 4 buck shot 3" shells for my mossburg ulti mag. Maybe I can get the job done now. LOL

#4 should do it for sure! But, just like finding a load for the rifle, you have to/ or at least should test several chokes and loads to see which pattern best. I like the Remington load, and the copper plated Federal. Gearsnagger had said that a cylinder works well, I haven't tested that theory buy I probably will sometime.

That's what I got was the Remington load. I had patterned the Remington 2 3/4 load but that only has 27 shots and the 3" has 41 so I will have to get back out to the range to see what I got with the new load. My choke is Modified but don't know much about chokes. I know at about 30 yards with the 27 shot load I get about a 30" inch circle which I would believe is good right?