Sign in to follow this  
Apache7mm

Black River & Salt River now open...

I can't wait to hear of the reports on the lower areas. Fishing the lower Black has always been a rare treat. Anybody down there with some news?

Thats where my buddys want to go.....

Black River Crossing and Wooden Crossing have great reports for Smallies, black river crossing guys were landing some big small mouth, fishing report from 2 days ago.

Up higher there are still no fish but recreation is excellent! come out camping this weekend and avoid crowds elsewhere, Point of Pines lake was recently stocked so trout fishing for the kids is excellent and stock ponds in the area are doing great for Big Laregemouth and Channel Catfish.

Also current fire restrictions are "only in fire rings in established campgrounds" and the San Carlos Black & Salt River special use permit is still currently "Day Use Only", you can camp but it must be out of the river.

DAN

Black River Crossing and Wooden Crossing have great reports for Smallies, black river crossing guys were landing some big small mouth, fishing report from 2 days ago.

Up higher there are still no fish but recreation is excellent! come out camping this weekend and avoid crowds elsewhere, Point of Pines lake was recently stocked so trout fishing for the kids is excellent and stock ponds in the area are doing great for Big Laregemouth and Channel Catfish.

Also current fire restrictions are "only in fire rings in established campgrounds" and the San Carlos Black & Salt River special use permit is still currently "Day Use Only", you can camp but it must be out of the river.

DAN

Thanks!!!!

Fished the lower black 2 days ago and caught a ton. Water is fairly clear and many of the smallies were good sized. A buddy of mine fished it yesterday and also said they did very well.

Today was the last school day, so tomorrow we'll be heading to one of my favorite spots on the Black. I had plenty of worries after the fire, but from the sounds of it, the lower part of the river is doing well. Hopefully, some pix will follow.

Fished the lower Black River on Wednesday and between four of us tore it up! A lot more silt and mud in the river bottoms, but fishing did not suffer a bit from the fire. Between the four of us that went, we caught close to 500 fish just that one day. Hit it now boys!

You guys did better than we did, but we still had a blast. The area we fished was really murkey and there was a lot of silt and mud. Fishing started out really slow, but eventually we caught quite a few, and on really big one. Unfortunately, the pix were lost :( . Not sure what happened but this was one of the top 3 biggest smalleys I've ever seen caught on the black.

From the sounds of it, the further down you go, the better.

I sure wish I knew what happened. I've checked the card and the camera's internal memory, and NADA - Zilch on the entire day, and we took lots of pix. Kind of a bummer on one hand, but we'll always have the memories.

I do wish I could get pix of the bruiser Josh reeled in. It was kind of funny, I had just reeled one in, having found what they were after - and I cast out and hand the pole to Josh, telling him just reel fast at first and see if you feel any bumps on the way in. When I looked back he thought he was hung up, but I could see the movement of the line. No exaggeration, as he got this fish closer to the bank I knew it was "one of them". As I tried to step into the river to help him land it, I sunk past my knees in the silt left over by the fire.

He's reeling and pulling hard while I'm thinking, on 4lb line this thing is going to break off for sure. As luck would have it, we were able to wrestle the big old female into shore without breaking off.

I sure wish I had a scale at the time (or the pictures), but the average fish we catch in there is under a pound - sometimes you get one in the 1-2 pound range, and occasionally the 3 pounder. In 20 years of fishing the Black, I've seen 3 fish come out that would go 4-6 pounds, legitimately. We all agreed, this one was at least as big if not bigger than a toad from last year.

post-478-0-12111400-1338009769_thumb.jpg

After looking at this picture, I think the one we caught today was easily two inches longer and very thick from head to tail. I'm 6' tall and have long fingers. The tail on this fish easily spanned my palm and fingers.

On another note, looking at the pictures from 1 year ago of the same spot we fished today...

post-478-0-01061500-1338011173_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-67848200-1338011185_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-35888500-1338011196_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-50649200-1338011208_thumb.jpg

The water last year was crystal clear, and the banks were covered with grass and sand.

Today, the water dark brown - so brown it stained our lines. You couldn't see the fish or the pools behind the rocks. And all the places in these pictures with grass were under about a foot of mud.

Coach, we fished down by the fork of the black and the white and fished the black up stream. I agree on the silt and mud, but it was much clearer down there and fish visability was no problem, we were able to see most of them hit. I will post pictures of the few large ones we caught once I get them from my brother. Glad you had a good time with the kids!

Glad to hear most people doing great out there, keep them reports and pix coming!!!

DAN

On the stock tanks, right now Bobcat Tank has been doing good for bass and catfish, you can hit up Point Of Pines lake while you're in the area for some trout as well.

DAN