Sign in to follow this  
Apache7mm

Black River & Salt River now open...

Memo out today stating that the Black River and Salt River have been reopened on the San Carlos Apache Reservation.

No fishing reports other than white mountain g&f caught 0 fish in there gill nets (mid February).

DAN

Memo out today stating that the Black River and Salt River have been reopened on the San Carlos Apache Reservation.

No fishing reports other than white mountain g&f caught 0 fish in there gill nets (mid February).

DAN

are there any areas that are not open on the blackriver?

Thanks Dan for the report. That certainly is some of the most beautiful country in our state. How's the shed hunting going? Waiting to see you post up some antlers. As I was driving thru Globe yesterday I saw a truck with horns for sale. I think I remember it saying San Carlos but could be wrong. :)

TJ

The website still says that it is closed. Could you post the memo or know where on the web it would show that it's open?

Has there been a study or any fishing results to indicate the effect upon the fisheries by the ash from the Wallow Fire and how far downstream the effect/fish kill was?

Has there been a study or any fishing results to indicate the effect upon the fisheries by the ash from the Wallow Fire and how far downstream the effect/fish kill was?

I was thinking about that also. What shape the river is in on the Forest service side also?

WMAT and apache sigreaves here I come may 04, cocked locked and ready to rock!

Cast & blast 2012!

Azp&y

Sorry for not checking back with this update for awhile, i initially did but there were 0 comments so i figured everyone just took the info in and ran off to Black River LOL jk.

Well first off the dept. website is incorrect (like it usually is), and its more of a bulletin board that is not run on a daily basis, hopefully changes will come in the future (wishful thinking), trying to have the memo scanned and emailed to me as i post this.

Secondly, the Black and Salt River on the San Carlos (all areas) have been re-opened for DAY USE ONLY, any camping will have to be done up top somewhere.

As for fishing reports, we have not gone out yet to conduct any at this time, but word of mouth from other anglers say "no fish caught, no crayfish in the area" (10 of Diamonds area), have not heard any reports for other areas down stream but i'm sure someone has been out there and hopefully they can post something or i'll post new info when i get it, but i should have a report by the end of next week for everyone (business mtg MON, mtn lion study stuff TUES-WED, bald eagle banding THURS, juvenile detention kiddies presentation FRI) i'll make time somewhere in there tho :P ;)

and in other news, havn't been out yet for antlers so hopefully soon TJ B) and i'll triple check my post before i put it up so that Bill will read all the way through LOL, jk, seen that earlier and going to learn from it :P

DAN

I have had some talks with the AZGF and the upper parts got hit pretty hard. I had a friend of mine who fishes the Black a ton went down there and fished below Buffalo Crossing. did not get one single bite. Searched the river hard not a living creature in it. No crawdads, No Drangonfly larva, no nymphs, NO NOTHING. What a bummer :( Game and fish said surveys on the main stretch of the Black there did not turn up any fish, Everything died!!! Still were some fish in some of the headwaters up high but that was the status that I have received! I don't know anything about on the Res though down lower.

Thanks for that update, basically same reports down on the rez, not much aquatic life in the area and no bites at all, lots of sand/silt around too, i'm sure some fish are around but no where near the numbers as before, for now i'd say best bet would be smallies further south like Wooden Crossing on the rez but thats still to be seen.

DAN

I can't wait to hear of the reports on the lower areas. Fishing the lower Black has always been a rare treat. Anybody down there with some news?