Sign in to follow this  
kennyt

19A Archery

I had that hunt in 2001. What a blast. I was fresh out of high school and didn't have a care in the world other than finding a goat to let the air out of. Good luck and definitely give us some updates.

I had the hunt in 2006 also. Did not kill one but had a good time. Looking forward to having more room to hunt. I had to get my computer fixed so now I can start downloading some video.

• Like 1

I drew the first archery hunt in 19A aswell, never hunted antelope before have a buddy who has hunted this unit and has taken 5 antelope between himself and his kids with rifle and archery equipment. We were up there a couple weeks ago just looking around his spots and counted over 70 antelope in one area with some nice bucks, Im just not sure about being able to sit in a hole all day long:) I wish you all the best of luck...

I had this hunt a few years ago, oh wait I think it was the second archery hunt in 19a. I did not sit water, and still harvested a nice goat. They are everywhere. I can not wait until my next tag. I would find 5 different goats, then figure out which one I thought I had the best chance at stalking in on. It took only one day, and I blew 3 stalks and connected on the fourth. My advice to you would be to get ready for 100* weather. Boy was it hot.

good luck on the water sitting. Had that tag in 07. All water was occupied everyday. I think some guys would sleep out there in the blinds to lay claim to them. Did spot and stalk everyday. Many lessons learned....Antelope can jump a string like its nobody business...and one bladder of water is barely enuf for a morning.

I had the tag in 2010 and killed a mid 70's goat on day 3. Water was the key..lots of goats in 19a and a very fun hunt.Be careful with all the private property.

How long before the hunt do I need to have blind up for goats to get uses to it? Or does it not bother them if i set up and hunt same day? I was going to dig hole about 300yrds from water by a good trail they use and sit it, but I also have a blind I could setup (really dont want to leave blind out as a friend had his stollen from this unit) but it would also suck if I dug a hole just to find someone else sitting in it......

If you leave a blind up without fence posts and barbed wire, the cows will knock it down and tap dance all over it. It would be a lot of work to dig a pit and I don't think that it is necessary. Don't think that the ranchers would be happy about that either. Have fun and shoot straight....

I watched plenty of guys set up on the day they hunted, and they had chances at goats. Spot and stalk is a blast on this hunt, I would highly advise it if you are willing to accept teh fact that you are going to blow a bunch until it all comes together. It was just too hot on my 19a hunt to even think about sitting in a blind. Not to mention, 90% of the hunters will be sitting water and the competition is just not worth it. Someone always seems to own the waterhole. Look closer to the hill where bushes start to grow. Then If you want, build a natural blind in the bushes. Less chance of someone sitting in it before you get there.

I will say that the spot and stalk on this hunt was an absolute blast. I learned a ton during the 11 days I hunted. My very first stalk was probably the best one, I slipped down a wash and popped up 45 yards from a great buck. I shot over his back @ 35 yards. Another time I belly crawled for 2 hours in the open grass and eventually got within 45 yards of a bedded B&C buck. My arrow fell off the rest when i stood to shoot. That was the single most deflating moment of my entire hunting career . . . and possibly my life. One day I sat in a huge cardboard box for 12 hours waiting for a buck to come in. That was the longest day of my life. I eventually shot a buck sitting in someone else's blind (with permission) but I think that I would have been a little more satisfied if I had let the air out of one after out sneaking him. Oh and be careful with the snakes, I had one crawl right over my legs while I was laying on my back in the grass waiting for a buck to feed within range . . . needless to say, that stalk was blown.

Man, all this talk makes me wanna go burn my points.