Sign in to follow this  
coues krazy

coconino forest changes starting in may

camping 300ft either side of a road is more realistic than post mentioned about the Kaibab 30ft.

Probably going to be a lot of tickets......

James

Not having signage for closed roads is absurd, imo, as is the 30' for parking to camp.

There are designated areas for dispersed camping to pull 300' off the road and are shown with dots along the roadway on the map (see link below). Other non-dotted areas are 30'.

Map of approved routes on CNF

http://www.redrockcountry.org/about-us/tmr/tmr-home/ROD_Alt3_BW.pdf

Also notice no driving off-road to retrieve elk in 5B.

http://www.redrockcountry.org/about-us/tmr/tmr-home/ROD_MBGR_Alt3_11x17.pdf

My old eyes cant focus on the map so I have copied and pasted larger scale maps in Word. Total of 33 maps for the Coconino. I tried to attach 1 so you could see it but I cant upload .docx files. PM me if your interested in seeing 1 and I will email a copy.

Seems to me this will make getting away from the crowd while camping much more difficult. I dont know about you guys, but I dont want to be around other campers while I am out enjoying the woods. These restrictions are going to squeeze people together. I do understand closing some of the renegade atv roads that criss cross the landscape, but this is ridiculous. Wolves and grizzlies will probably be next. I hate it!

This is going too far. Only 20 percent of the roads will allow camping within 300 feet and the rest will be 30 feet. They also need to put road closed signs up on roads that they want closed. This is definitely a freedom lost.

Where I am hunting on my archery bull hunt this Sept. is entirely within the Coconino. I am also more than a little unhappy about the changes. I dislike that if the road is not on the map you can't use it. One issue that I haven't heard anyone mention is if you intended to camp off a road that no longer is on the map (closed road) then you can't legally have a "motorized dispersed camp site" there even within 30 feet of the road because you can't use the closed road to access the camp spot. Also the area I intend to hunt will not be an area where you can use a vehicle to travel off road to recover the downed game. My favorite camp site will now be illegal for me to pull a toy-hauler into and I probably won't be able to use an ATV to recover the bull if I get one. Looks like I will need to do some serious scouting of camp sites and access points.

LOL!!!! They can "will" NOT inforce their rules as it is!! If they want to ticket me for going on a "closed" road they need to walk up to me and give the ticket not drive!!! They are the worst offenders of their own rules. They need to start making the loging companys chip their slash and quit making the tax payers pay to burn them and kill us with the smoke. Oh what about our Illegals cutting wood wherever and whenever they want and they wont even respond. I can't wait till they tell me "I can't drive one of the dissabled kids to his or her downed game." I hope the Lord is with me that day.

May God be with us

LOL!!!! They can "will" NOT inforce their rules as it is!! If they want to ticket me for going on a "closed" road they need to walk up to me and give the ticket not drive!!! They are the worst offenders of their own rules. They need to start making the loging companys chip their slash and quit making the tax payers pay to burn them and kill us with the smoke. Oh what about our Illegals cutting wood wherever and whenever they want and they wont even respond. I can't wait till they tell me "I can't drive one of the dissabled kids to his or her downed game." I hope the Lord is with me that day.

May God be with us

Make no mistake they will ticket you. They are enforcing similar though slightly more stringent rules in the Kaibab forest around Williams aleady.

May God be with us

Make no mistake they will ticket you. They are enforcing similar though slightly more stringent rules in the Kaibab forest around Williams aleady.

I really expect them to warn a lot of people initially but if you are camped in an unauthorized area I bet they will give you the choice of moving camp immediately or being cited.

In my mind these restrictions on National forest land are not acceptable, so what is our next step? Is a lawsuite possible as these restrictions as I see them are in direct conflict of the National Forest Management Act of 1976. What other avenues do we have?

looking at the new map and a forest service map that I have had, every small road is now closed. Every single one. This sucks! You will only be able to camp along a main road and eat dust the whole time. Gotta be something we all can do to stop this stripping of freedom. Whos forest is it anyway? Honestly, if they would have inforced the laws on off road travel(mostly atv's) They wouldnt have to do this. Bullcrap...

We as outdoorsmen and hunters need to leave comments on the kiabab and coconino website, and let them know how we feel about these new rules. They need to remember that they work for us. If enough of us express our concern to the forest service we might be able to change these absurd rules.

In my mind these restrictions on National forest land are not acceptable, so what is our next step? Is a lawsuite possible as these restrictions as I see them are in direct conflict of the National Forest Management Act of 1976. What other avenues do we have?

I have not read all the thread but up to this one only. You are right it is unacceptable and our next step is to comply. The time to fight this was in meetings that have been posted in the past with nobody showing up except the greenies to fight it.

The problem lies with us....... The people that use the outdoors and yet fail to unite from one group to the next to icrease numbers. The Off-road groups blame it on the huntting groups. The huntting groups blame it on the quads. The quads blame it on the RV's. The RV blame it on ect, ect, ect..... The greenies blame it on all of us and stand togather in numbers to screw us over.