Sign in to follow this  
Airbusdriver

Early/Mid 1990's Ford Bronco: Any Feedback?

I've been going through the gyrations of finding something cheap to get into hunting spots. I started by looking into utility quads, but would require more money than I'm willing to spend (family of five). Thought about Jeep Wranglers, but was quickly amazed at how they've held their value, and not really wanting something "tricked-out" for rock climbing.

At the advice of a friend, started looking into Ford Broncos in the early to mid '90's. Looks like some pretty good values for under $5,000 on Craigslist. However, in doing some internet research of those year models, they got pretty dismal gas mileage...sometimes into the single digits.

Does anyone have any experience with these year models of Broncos? If you have owned one and used them for hunting, would love to hear your feedback, do's/don'ts, etc, a suitable hunting /scouting vehicle.

Thanks

Those years Broncos were ok. Mostly 302's and push button 4x4. Independent front supension. If you can find one with a 351w you'll be happier. I have a 78. The best broncos ever made were 78's and 79's... second generation. They were made to compete with the k5's and beat the snot out of them until Ford screwed it up in 1980. They went to the independent front and the 302. Anyway, you'll be more comfortable in the late model Bronco but it can't do what the old ones can. Alot of guys that are serious Bronco nuts pull the independent front end out and put straight front axels in them. Good luck though. Make sure when you're looking to check the rear mains in the 302's for leaking and check the front end for the same and if you do get one pull the autolockers off and put manuals on.

Donnie

Those years Broncos were ok. Mostly 302's and push button 4x4. Independent front supension. If you can find one with a 351w you'll be happier. I have a 78. The best broncos ever made were 78's and 79's... second generation. They were made to compete with the k5's and beat the snot out of them until Ford screwed it up in 1980. They went to the independent front and the 302. Anyway, you'll be more comfortable in the late model Bronco but it can't do what the old ones can. Alot of guys that are serious Bronco nuts pull the independent front end out and put straight front axels in them. Good luck though. Make sure when you're looking to check the rear mains in the 302's for leaking and check the front end for the same and if you do get one pull the autolockers off and put manuals on.

Donnie

Thanks, Donnie.

I'm not fluent in 4WD lingo (this will be my first 4WD vehicle). What are autolockers?

Honestly for 5k you would be beter off geting a 4 runner or something like one. Gas will eat you up in a bronco, and maintaining them will also cost a bunch.You can beat the crap out of a toyota and they keep going. jmo Auto lockers are engaged by putting the vehicle in 4x4. You dont have to do anything else. Having manual hubs means you have to lock both hubs, and when you are done using 4x4 you have to unlock them. They are on the front axle at each end of the wheels, but they are far more reliable and less prone to failure. Again jmo

Honestly for 5k you would be beter off geting a 4 runner or something like one. Gas will eat you up in a bronco, and maintaining them will also cost a bunch.You can beat the crap out of a toyota and they keep going. jmo Auto lockers are engaged by putting the vehicle in 4x4. You dont have to do anything else. Having manual hubs means you have to lock both hubs, and when you are done using 4x4 you have to unlock them. They are on the front axle at each end of the wheels, but they are far more reliable and less prone to failure. Again jmo

Wow...I totally forgot about the 4Runner..good suggestion. Obviously, the V-6 would be preferable for making the long drive up the hill from the Valley. Will the 4Runner go most places (terrain-wise) a Bronco will go?

Thanks again for the tip.

Wow...I totally forgot about the 4Runner..good suggestion. Obviously, the V-6 would be preferable for making the long drive up the hill from the Valley. Will the 4Runner go most places (terrain-wise) a Bronco will go? Dont dismiss the 22r four cynlider engine. Great motors that last a long time.

Thanks again for the tip.

I would be willing to bet they would go places a bronco wont go. And yes, you can fit five people in one. Dont dismiss the 22r four banger . Very good engines

Someone (AZHuntNut?) built a pretty cool little Samari for cheaper than a newer Rhino and had it pretty tricked out to show for his money! You wont be able to speed through the rough stuff like on an atv/utv, but you will be a lot better off with a heater!

I would, and was looking at 89-95 Toyota pick UPS with 4x4, v6, 5 speed.... Found several very nicer ones well under your budget

I had a string of them (5) between 1978 and 1994. All of them were 351's, except for one with a 400. Poor gas mileage, but they had enough grunt to pull travel trailers, and they had a back seat for the kids. Remember in those days, they just didn't make many trucks that offered a back seat, and none of them had a comfortable back seat. Broncos had a short wheelbase but full sized width which meant you could get most places, but you were going to scrape the sides a lot. When all the manufacturers started making 4-door pickups with short beds and SUV's with 4 doors, the old Broncos fell from favor. I moved on to 4-door pickups. In the SUV style, I'd favor a 4Runner now, but you won't have a lot of towing capability. The older Bronco's were carburated, my last one was fuel injected. The fuel injected version was more reliable for me.

You can't beat the 4runners for a little smaller hunting rig. If you aren't towing anything thats the way to go. They hold their value better that probably any suv. The one problem with the newer mid 90's and up is their rear springs get soft. My brother in law had one and thing was always bottoming out. I can't imagine you'll be doing anything too crazy so a 4runner would be fine if you aren't towing with it. If you get a built 4runner, it will go anyplace a stock bronco would go but it better have some add ons. I can promise you a stock 4runner won't go where my stock bronco will go.

In 78-79 Broncos came with a dana 44, a 351m or a 400, an automatic or a c6 4 speed tranny, an np205 transfer case, straight front axel and the 9" rearend. Spare parts are cheap and EVERYWHERE. Basically bullet proof. The NP205 transfercase transfers power from the transmission to the front drive shaft. The NP205 is a gear driven transfer case versus the cheaper chain driven cases. Chains can stretch and break, gears can't. The ford 9" rearend is one of the strongest rear differentials ever made but some have been known to leak a little. Sorry... I'm a Ford guy and love to talk about old broncos... I'll shut up now.

Donnie

Don't forget about the little Bronco 2. Those trucks can go almost anywhere because of their small size. I know a few people that use them as hunting rigs.

You can't beat the 4runners for a little smaller hunting rig. If you aren't towing anything thats the way to go. They hold their value better that probably any suv. The one problem with the newer mid 90's and up is their rear springs get soft. My brother in law had one and thing was always bottoming out. I can't imagine you'll be doing anything too crazy so a 4runner would be fine if you aren't towing with it. If you get a built 4runner, it will go anyplace a stock bronco would go but it better have some add ons. I can promise you a stock 4runner won't go where my stock bronco will go.

In 78-79 Broncos came with a dana 44, a 351m or a 400, an automatic or a c6 4 speed tranny, an np205 transfer case, straight front axel and the 9" rearend. Spare parts are cheap and EVERYWHERE. Basically bullet proof. The NP205 transfercase transfers power from the transmission to the front drive shaft. The NP205 is a gear driven transfer case versus the cheaper chain driven cases. Chains can stretch and break, gears can't. The ford 9" rearend is one of the strongest rear differentials ever made but some have been known to leak a little. Sorry... I'm a Ford guy and love to talk about old broncos... I'll shut up now.

Donnie

+1

I had a 1990 with a 4" lift and it had over 200k before I sold it.

I had a bronco when gas was like $1.85 gal.

I now have s10 blazer with v6 4.3 vortec.

comes in 2 door or 4 door. I have 30 x 9.5 x 15" no lift... prolly will hold 31x10

skid plate 4x4 shifter on the floor gets 16 - 20 mpg

mine is a 93' nothin special... a definite beater

you can pick up a 2000 - 2003 model at the auction for about 2500 - $3000 government maintained.

Lifts are cheap springs or blocks.

It's like a cheap rhyno! lol!

here is an auction site they have them 2 a month it's by 35ave and grand not sure when preview day is where you can check out the cars but there is an auction tomorrow.

they have some troopers, a sidekick, exploders , s10 blazers.

not all vehicles here are govn't maintained though.

http://sierraauctions.auctionflex.com/showlots.ap?co=28719&weid=23540&weiid=0&archive=n&lso=lotnumasc&pagenum=1&lang=En

James