Sign in to follow this  
1azbowhunter

which gps should i get??

this is going to be my first gps so which one should i get?i hear good reviews from garmin!i have been looking at the oregon,looks pretty cool.now give me your suggestions!!!

I'm very happy with my Garmin GPSMap 60csx. If you shop around you can find smoking deals on them too.

I had a Oregon 550T and loved it. Touch screen and easy to use and had all states topo maps pre-loaded. I think the 400 series only has the southwest region loaded. I needed the money for another purchase and miss it. My next one will be another 550T or one of the new Montana series.

I'm very happy with my Garmin GPSMap 60csx. If you shop around you can find smoking deals on them too.

Get it you won't regret it!

Oregon 450t! Touch screen is amazing, I'd never go back to a 60 series. The "t" means it's preloaded with topo for the entire us. Don't get the 550 or 550t IMO. The only difference is $100 and it has a digital camera which is worthless to me. I looked at upgrading to a Montana, but they are HUGE! They won't fit in a pocket and that equals getting lost in my world!

It also means much easier to break. I work with about 600 GPS carrying guys and gals and vast majority have the 60csx. Some do have the touch screens, most have the optional rich cracked screen

I am confident, if you take good care of it and are not using/abusing it everyday, you will be very pleased with the Oregon 450.

I am using the Garmin 60CSX as well. I sometimes with I would have gone with the Garmin Rhino series for the built in FRS capability so I'm not carrying a GPS and radio.

I've had my 450T for 2.5 seasons now and beat the heck out of it, and I've never had a problem with it. It's so easy to use, I find that I name my waypoints much more often with it then with my 60 because it has a full keyboard and takes just seconds to name a waypoint instead of scrolling through each letter. The resolution is way better and the screen is much larger then the 60 series as well. I was really worried about the durability of the touch screen, but am sold on it now. If you think about it, IPhones ride around in your pocket all day everyday and the screens keep working, and I feel that the Oregon screen is built even tougher then those.

I use the rhino 530 and love it, we usually have one for every person in our hunting party. Makes it nice to look at one screen and see where everyone position is in relation to yours. Also a radio with up to 14 mile range, hard to beat

I am looking at the 450t as well. There are several negative reviews regarding the screen being hard to see in sunlight. Is this an issue with older versions, or is it not bad enough to be an issue? I like the idea of a touch screen and a bigger screen.

Also, I understand the pre-loaded topos are at a useless scale. Purchased 24k scale is much better. Truth?

Cabelas has the 450T on sale this week for $279. Smokin deal.

Bdrew, the screen can be tough to read in indirect sunlight. It's good with the backlight on, or in direct sunlight, it's when it's in the in between that's not the best. That would be my only complaint on it. That and it eats batteries for breakfast!