Sign in to follow this  
ready2hunt

Remington 700 BDL Question

Hey Everyone,

I am relatively new the forum and everyone seems to be quite knowledgeable so pardon my question as I am sure it’s been asked.

I drew an early rifle tag for 6A and to celebrate I bought a new Remington 700 BDL (30-06). My only issue is that it does not come with a recoil pad and I cannot simply replace the butt plate. Per Remington- I have to grind down the stock and then install a pad (and possibly grind the pad to fit the shortened stock).

My question is…can anyone recommend a good recoil pad and gunsmith to do this? I am located in the East Valley and would rather have a (recommended) expert handle this than make it a DIY disaster. Also, any sage advice regarding unit 6A would be greatly appreciated- haven’t hunted there in years!

Thanks in advance for any help.

They make slip on recoil pads If you want. 6a is a good unit for your hunt. Good bulls just about everywhere.

Problem is, slilp-on pads add to the length of pull. I suggest you find a gunsmith to install the pad. It's fairly easy if he has the equipment, which a pro should have. He should be able to advise you as to the best length from trigger to butt for you.

Bill Quimby

Todd South can install one for you, prob alot cheaper than a smith. 602-677-3791. He does good work.

Located by Bass pro in Mesa

Todd South can install one for you, prob alot cheaper than a smith. 602-677-3791. He does good work.

Thanks for the heads up. I will give him a call!

A RIFLE ELK TAG??

Yes its an Early Rifle Bull Tag. I am pretty pumped about it. Trying to decided where to start scouting along with getting this rifle ready and sighted in.

The BDL grade rifle has some very select wood and a real lover of fine firearms would not consider hacking it off. For your hunt and target practice buy an off-the-shelf ramline or uncle mikes plastic stock w/pad and leave the wood unaltered.

Recoil pad? All of my rifles have steel recoil pads.....

lee

Insanity runs in the family-it practically gallups!

A RIFLE ELK TAG??

Yes its an Early Rifle Bull Tag. I am pretty pumped about it. Trying to decided where to start scouting along with getting this rifle ready and sighted in.

i had that tag a couple years ago. i live in flagstaff. i shot a bull on the last day with a rem 700 30-06. passed up 67 bulls. i would have gunsmith put on a recoil pad of your choice. roninflag

Ok tough guy, Steel butt plates? Really?

I do agree with you about the synthetic stock for the BDL. i did the same thing with my 300 mag BDL.

Keeps the wood nice.

Ron

The BDL grade rifle has some very select wood and a real lover of fine firearms would not consider hacking it off. For your hunt and target practice buy an off-the-shelf ramline or uncle mikes plastic stock w/pad and leave the wood unaltered.

Recoil pad? All of my rifles have steel recoil pads.....

lee

Insanity runs in the family-it practically gallups!

Thanks for the heads up. I will give him a call!

I would also take it to Todd. He knows what he's doing and you'll be very happy with the results.

6A has some great areas and great bulls. Watch your travel though...my understanding is that Coconino is not ATV friendly any more. +1 on synthetic ... good prices can be found.

Look on ebay, there are a lot of remington stocks with recoil pads.

If you go with an aftermarket, look for a reputable brand.

Also, it's probably worth you time to bed the stock as well.