Sign in to follow this  
Bucks N Bulls

Python master lock

Just wondering how they are? Are they tough to cut? Are they as reliable as reliable can be? Do you use them or would you use them? Let me know your thoughts.I'm thinking about using them instead of chains.

I use them with a heavy duty lock box. I haven't had anyone try to steal one yet, so I don't know how they'd hold up to abuse. It seems like it would take some effort to get through one. I'm sure the Forest Service has the right tools on hand though.

When I use them, it's only as a visual deterrent - there's always something harder to get to holding my boxes a tree.

I've never tried, but I would think you could get through one of those with a leatherman or hatchet - not to mention any serious snippers. The real jerks carry battery-powered grinders with cut-off wheels, and there's basically nothing practical that's gonna defend against that.

Funny thing is, about 90% of the cameras I have encountered in the woods and desert have had ZERO locks. Just strapped to a tree with a nylon strap or on one of those mounts that screw into the bottom. Never even a suitcase lock through the plastic rings that the manufacturers expect to protect them. I guess folks figure, if someone wants to steal it they will.

If they can't cut the lock and really want the camera, they will just cut the tree down and slide the cable and camera off.

I still think the best defense, is a good hiding spot. Ive noticed a lot of Eastern hunters are putting theirs up ten or so feet in a tree to catch trespassers and keep them from walking off with the camera (mostly higher end one that send the photos with a data plan) a lot of the photos end up showing better characteristics of the game than the eye level shots as a plus!

I might have to invest in some climbing sticks now!

You shouldn't have to lock them up! People should just leave them alone and buy they're own camera's instead of stealing them. I never locked up my camera's until this year and not once have i had one stolen. I have had friends share horror stories of stolen camera's though. I always felt hunters were a better class of people and wouldn't steal from others but i guess not.

You shouldn't have to lock them up! People should just leave them alone and buy they're own camera's instead of stealing them. I never locked up my camera's until this year and not once have i had one stolen. I have had friends share horror stories of stolen camera's though. I always felt hunters were a better class of people and wouldn't steal from others but i guess not.

Most hunters are. That's why I firmly believe that most "stolen" cameras are actually "confiscated" by the Forest Service.

I hear you guys! I figure if someone wants them bad enough they'll get em. I too was thinking as just a deturent. I never put them directly on water and always try to put them somewhere someone wont be. That's getting harder to do everyday as someone seems to always stumble onto your stuff. I have never had a cam locked up yet and have not had any stolen as of yet. I'm sure my turn is coming.I have heard of people cutting down the trees to get cams. I agree we shouldn't have to do any locking up. People should leave well alone.

Lag bolt through the lock box, with a python around that, and a guarded shackle lock on the lock box. Haven't lost one yet. I know it's bending the rules a bit with the bolt but if it saves me cams I'm ok with it.

I lag bolt every camera I put out. If you're going to steal my camera, you are going to hike out with a huge chunk of tree, then go to work with a grinder and/or torch. By then, you've earned it.

post-478-0-64856000-1336279723_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-03716900-1336279770_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-51280800-1336279841_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-87126200-1336279906_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-40403000-1336279941_thumb.jpg

@ Coach. Those boxes are freakin awesome!!! You should start selling them on here!

+1 they look strong for sure!

Think bolting them to a tree is a good idea. like you said make them work a little harder for them. And Coach those are some great boxes! I really like how you use storage locker locks and conceal the bar on the lock so it cant be cut.

Thanks guys, I do enjoy building them. Nothing is theft proof, but at least I know my cams won't be taken too easily. FWIW, I haven't lost one yet. Knock on wood.