feenz

bad fire in 23 north

Does anyone know why the fire near Young is not on the inciweb web site? Maybe 'cause it started on the FAIR?

So does anyone know if there was infact a fire at the base of Four Peaks yesterday that seemed to be controlled, or was that another fire report that was reported wrong?

We drive threw there around 11 am and 5 pm and there was no fire at the base of the peaks or any where I was able to see. I will be following this one as well, I hunt those hills where the sunflower fire is burning. From what I could see yesterday there was 2 sections of active fire. The heaviest was moving maybe a mile north west of the mt ord turn off moving north east.

I hunt those hills too. As a matter of fact, my buddy and I was there Saturday morning to check his trail camera (on the way to Payson to pick up my deer mount). We drove down the Sycamore Road to 201 just as the fire looked like a good size campfire, but dark smoke and high flames. We drove down the blacktop to get a look up Sycamore Canyon and saw a vehicle parked at the scene with 4 or 5 guys out scampering around, then they jumped in the vehicle and tore out of there up the 25 road. We drove up 201 to the junction and waited for them. I stopped them and my buddy got the vehicle description and liscence #. It was 5 young guys in their 20's. They said they camped there last night (Friday). We asked if they put out their fire, and they claimed they did. Then they took off to the highway. We waited for the Forrest Service Ranger to get there and gave them the info. There was also two other witnesses that saw another vehicle with the one we saw.

Within 30 minutes of reporting it, there was already a slurry tanker, hellicopter/bucket, and Hot Shot crew on the scene. The fire was already across Sycamore Creek and headed NW up the ridge.....maybe 10 - 15 acres.

We went to Payson and back in 2 hours. The wind had shifted to a west wind (blowing east) and looked to be a few hundred acres. It's a real shame! This area wasn't affected much by the last fire (6 years ago?). It had a lot of mature junipers, pinions, and oaks.

• Like 1

Hope someone didn't start it carelessly like mentioned.

But it may have started from that mini storm last week cause Friday just outside of Sunflower at Whiskey Springs there was a good haze and smelling the smoke from a fire. Probably was that one cause it's only few miles up the road.

Saturday evening the smoke went from there probably all the way to Globe.

Sunday it lit up bad again with the afternoon winds.

This morning it was still smoldering all over and it did burned a lot of good area above Sycamore.

Huge FS group were stationed rodeo grds at ft mcdowell heading up back side of Verde also.

So does anyone know if there was infact a fire at the base of Four Peaks yesterday that seemed to be controlled, or was that another fire report that was reported wrong?

We drive threw there around 11 am and 5 pm and there was no fire at the base of the peaks or any where I was able to see. I will be following this one as well, I hunt those hills where the sunflower fire is burning. From what I could see yesterday there was 2 sections of active fire. The heaviest was moving maybe a mile north west of the mt ord turn off moving north east.

I hunt those hills too. As a matter of fact, my buddy and I was there Saturday morning to check his trail camera (on the way to Payson to pick up my deer mount). We drove down the Sycamore Road to 201 just as the fire looked like a good size campfire, but dark smoke and high flames. We drove down the blacktop to get a look up Sycamore Canyon and saw a vehicle parked at the scene with 4 or 5 guys out scampering around, then they jumped in the vehicle and tore out of there up the 25 road. We drove up 201 to the junction and waited for them. I stopped them and my buddy got the vehicle description and liscence #. It was 5 young guys in their 20's. They said they camped there last night (Friday). We asked if they put out their fire, and they claimed they did. Then they took off to the highway. We waited for the Forrest Service Ranger to get there and gave them the info. There was also two other witnesses that saw another vehicle with the one we saw.

Within 30 minutes of reporting it, there was already a slurry tanker, hellicopter/bucket, and Hot Shot crew on the scene. The fire was already across Sycamore Creek and headed NW up the ridge.....maybe 10 - 15 acres.

We went to Payson and back in 2 hours. The wind had shifted to a west wind (blowing east) and looked to be a few hundred acres. It's a real shame! This area wasn't affected much by the last fire (6 years ago?). It had a lot of mature junipers, pinions, and oaks.

hopefully they can hold the 201 and keep it from running to the highway. It's a dang shame one careless act is going to cause a lot of damage.

You guys did all you can. From a hunter to another from those hills thank you for doing what you guys did.

From last glacé of the fire maps it looks to be running west now as well as moving pretty good north. Hopefully they can get some lines at pine mountain.

I have not seen anything on this fire. Think they got it cornfused with the sunflower fire. no report on a fire anywhere near young.

Ron

Does anyone know why the fire near Young is not on the inciweb web site? Maybe 'cause it started on the FAIR?

Bull Flat fire is in Whiteriver, no where near 23...

Ron

The one in 23/rez looks to be the Bull Flat fire.

hopefully they can hold the 201 and keep it from running to the highway. It's a dang shame one careless act is going to cause a lot of damage.

You guys did all you can. From a hunter to another from those hills thank you for doing what you guys did.

From last glacé of the fire maps it looks to be running west now as well as moving pretty good north. Hopefully they can get some lines at pine mountain.

Yup, It's up on top and west of Mormon Grove, in the wilderness area. It burned over the AZ Trail, up to Saddle Mountain and to the south, southwest through Sheep Creek and up onto Black Mesa. If it continues south off of Black Mesa it will get the power lines. I have a trail camera a couple miles into the wilderness area...that I probably won't be able to get to for a very long time.

Yup, It's up on top and west of Mormon Grove, in the wilderness area. It burned over the AZ Trail, up to Saddle Mountain and to the south, southwest through Sheep Creek and up onto Black Mesa. If it continues south off of Black Mesa it will get the power lines. I have a trail camera a couple miles into the wilderness area...that I probably won't be able to get to for a very long time.

My fear was it would go south up the power lines. Hopefully they can head it off.

Appearantely there was a "small" fire started this afternoon off Colcord rd. by campers. It is under control as if now, only 5+ acres burnt. I do not understand why people would be having a campfire under the circumstances, and with being so close to homes? Is it really cold enough for a fire.... I think not.

The fire that is burning along the border of the indian res. and unit 23 is really close to the Valentine camp ground area. I have camped there before and was on a Jr deer hunt there last year. Hopefully it doesn't take off and do too much damage.

Aparantly the idiots on the news dont have any geographical knowledge!!

My bad... I guess the fire is in 23 north. Idiots said for 3 days it was near whiteriver...Then the paper said yesterday that it was in canyon creek.

Ron