WildHeritageTaxidermy

Fire near Young!

Looks like its gettin rollin right now. High winds here in Payson. Must be the same over there....

Poco Fire Grows to 4,200 Acres

The fire was very active Monday with large plumes of smoke visible in the afternoon. Gusty winds challenged firefighting efforts as the fire moved into Saunders Canyon and Cherry Canyon. The fire spotted over Forest Road 128. Helicopters and air tankers were used to assist firefighters working to slow the spread of the fire.

Overnight, firefighters burned out from firelines to secure the northwest corner of the fire. Crews will hold firelines today and plan additional burnouts tonight as conditions allow.

The fire remains a threat to the twin 500 kV electrical transmission lines that provide energy to Phoenix and Tucson Metro areas. In order to protect the power lines, firefighters are constructing and reinforcing fireline east of the fire in anticipation of a planned burnout operation between the FR 128 and FR 102 when conditions are appropriate.

The picture is from our front yard with Neaglin Rim to the left and Crouch Mesa(fire is behind Crouch, not on it) to the right...... all burning

post-3674-0-34251000-1340139862_thumb.jpg

hope everyone stays safe!

thanks for the update and a big THANK YOU to all the firefighters!

James

Fire is estimated at 11,011 acres with 731 personnel. The population of Young has more than doubled! There were back burn operations up Naeglin Rim yesterday.

Here is a map of the fire area from yesterday.

post-3674-0-70262300-1340292591_thumb.jpg

Went up north to do some scouting for the up coming archery deer season only to get to mt. Ord with the gate locked. Read the notice attached to the gate and it stated that it could possibly be locked up until Aug. 31st due to the fires in Central AZ. Does anyone know if its because of the Poco fire or just all the fires happening lately? Will they open it back up when the fires are out or should I start working on plan B?

Went up north to do some scouting for the up coming archery deer season only to get to mt. Ord with the gate locked. Read the notice attached to the gate and it stated that it could possibly be locked up until Aug. 31st due to the fires in Central AZ. Does anyone know if its because of the Poco fire or just all the fires happening lately? Will they open it back up when the fires are out or should I start working on plan B?

It's closed because of high fire danger with the extreme dry conditions that exist.

It will reopen as soon we get a few good drenchings from the monsoons. Usually by mid to late July it will reopen.

Brian

Fire handed over to Type 3 team yesterday, bulk of the resources are gone now, will be a few crews monitoring and putting out hotspots

I noticed today they put police tape up on all the side roads off Chamberlain Trail.

512 (Young Rd) should be open tomorrow.

Will update when I know for sure.

I would be interested in knowing if it is open, thanks!

It's closed because of high fire danger with the extreme dry conditions that exist.

It will reopen as soon we get a few good drenchings from the monsoons. Usually by mid to late July it will reopen.

Brian

Thats what I was hoping to hear, Thanks Brian.

Frank,

512 is open and freshly graded!

Great time to go see what remains of my bear setup