Sign in to follow this  
clb

Time line of a kitten

I have had the pleasure of watching this small female kitten grow over the past 6 months. Her mom has taught her the ropes when it comes to hunting deer. I have found 6 deer and 1 calf these two have fed on. Most the kills I was too late to get pictures. But there were a few that I found in time. I have got over 150 pictures of these two lions feeding. I will post a few to show the growth of this kitten.

I have also been fortunate enough to get both in trees this year as well. The mother didn't like me getting to close so she jumped a few times and lost the dogs. I got within 30 ft of one tree and was able to see her a few moments before she jumped. The little one however didn't mind stopping for a picture.

These first pictures were January 14th

post-3354-0-44788000-1341344304_thumb.jpg

post-3354-0-87068600-1341344315_thumb.jpg

post-3354-0-43398100-1341344334_thumb.jpg

post-3354-0-69466400-1341344345_thumb.jpg

On May 15th i was out ridding a circle and happened to ride on a fresh deer kill. The dogs took off and in a short time had the kitten treed.

post-3354-0-94887300-1341345423.jpg

post-3354-0-48411800-1341345431.jpg

Last saturday my dad was out for is morning walk and saw drag marks crossing the road. After following the marks for 150yrds he found a fresh killed deer. We placed a camera on it and we found the female and kitten still thriving.

post-3354-0-07385600-1341345656_thumb.jpg

post-3354-0-12384800-1341345680_thumb.jpg

post-3354-0-65641900-1341345695_thumb.jpg

That is a pretty cool timeline and pictures. Thanks for sharing. I am hoping to kill a nice Tom one of these years

those are some cool pics!

are the feet tied together on the fresh kill you dad found???

James

Yes we tie up every kill that way they can't drag the deer out of the view of the camera.

When does the taxidermist fit into the timeline?

Looks like a couple deer slayers need to be disposed of.

On a second note, when is the female legal to take? How old is the kitten? Is that still considered a spotted kitten? I ask because i dont know. I know what the regs say but dont know from experience. Thanks.

I would say she is still to spotted to take legally. The rules on this are very gray as a lot of things in the regulations with game and fish. I don't know for sure but I figure she was about 3 months old in January so I would say she is 9 or 10 months old. She still has her baby teeth the others start to grow in at a year old.

I have seen older mature lions that have spots. The rules say spotted kitten. I guess it depends what warden checks it in and what kind of day they are having.

Yes we tie up every kill that way they can't drag the deer out of the view of the camera.

Thats what I thought. Its obvious that the lions dont really mind human scent around their kill.....I would have thought otherwise. How big of a territory does the lion with the kitten have?