AxisWorks LLC

iPad for checking trail cameras.

Well they have them on eBay http://www.ebay.com/...0-/260978890238

My suspicion from reading a lot of forum info is that it is not a plug and play and there will be a software component required, even then it may not work. If there was an easy fix it would be all over the Android tablet forums as it seems like there are a lot of folks trying to figure this out.

I pull out the card in my Android phone or camera to view. I will probably start using the new iPad as the screen is way to good to not take advantage of. The next iPhone is spposed to have a larger display which may be perfect, we will see.

I saw that adapter online as well. The forums I read led me to believe it wouldn't read image files. It may be worth trying, as it's only $5.

I think I'll try the micro-SD/adapter/Droid method until I decide it is too much hassle...or I damage my phone...or "rcdinaz" reports the mentioned adapter works :rolleyes: ....which ever comes first.

Let's report back now and then and share what works/what doesn't.

I already experimented with an card reader from eBay for my iPad trying to be cheap and wasted $5 on that. I am due for a new phone in a few months and will probably cave and go iPhone since everything else in the house has grown and apple on it. I will be testing the iPad for preseason scouting, hopefully have some pics to post from the new tiny cams.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but since we're talking about getting the iPads into the field, has anyone tried this topo-map app? http://topomapsapp.com/ipad.html

I'm definately going to get one of those card readers that goes right into the iPad - what a great idea. Also, what are you guys using to protect your iPad when hiking? I'm afraid of cracking the screen. Is there a hard case for them that doesn't cost too much?

My screen is cracked! Any apple store will replace the screen for FREE... I just got to go to the store...

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but since we're talking about getting the iPads into the field, has anyone tried this topo-map app? http://topomapsapp.com/ipad.html

I'm definately going to get one of those card readers that goes right into the iPad - what a great idea. Also, what are you guys using to protect your iPad when hiking? I'm afraid of cracking the screen. Is there a hard case for them that doesn't cost too much?

Here ya go Coach.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ballistic-Tough-Jacket-Series-Case-for-The-New-iPad-3-iPad-2-Black-Brand-New-/330744075657?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item4d01e21589

I use the Topo Map app and it works well because you can download a section for reference even without cell/GPS service. Other than that it is pretty basic.

Which adapter are all of you using for your iPad (card reader)? As I mentioned the one I bought would not read due to "power" :angry: so I need to get one that works.

That is the same adapter i have and it works great. Just make sure the little switch in the side is moved to "USB"...

Hmmm.. that looks jut like the one I have and my iPad 3 gives an error about power requirements. :angry:

I will mess with it again this weekend. Thanks!

This is the one I ordered. I believe its an Apple product. Will let you know when it shows up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200786449508?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Here is an update on this adapter. 3rd Gen. IPad works awesome! IPhone 4, and IPod touch are unsupported. Looks like the wife is going to have to do without her IPad every other Sat.

• Like 1

I am using the same one now as well from Apple. I did learn you have to have the card formatted in FAT32 and the root folder for the pics needs to be DCIM. If you load the card into a camera it will most likely do this on its own but if you simply drop a bunch of pics on the card the iPad (at least mine) will not recognize them.

I am using the same one now as well from Apple. I did learn you have to have the card formatted in FAT32 and the root folder for the pics needs to be DCIM. If you load the card into a camera it will most likely do this on its own but if you simply drop a bunch of pics on the card the iPad (at least mine) will not recognize them.

Are you using a 3rd Gen. IPad? I don't have a digital camera that uses an SD card. My card and trailcam came in the mail today. I just used the trail cam. to take a few pics. Plugged the SD Card and adapter into the IPad and bam! There they were.

I am so happy that I saw this post. I too am sick of trying to look at pictures on my camera's screen. I didn't even realize that there is an adapter for the Ipad. I have a nice hard case to transport it in so I just ordered to adapter to check picture. I hope it works well.

My wife has an Android Cruse that is like the I-pad and it has an SD card slot, I will be trying it this Thursday when I get out to check my cams. I will post the results then.