AxisWorks LLC

iPad for checking trail cameras.

Most of the guys I hunt with just take there digital camera to view the pics on the spot. The little screen however doesn't do much justice for gauging deer. This is what got me thinking about a larger portable light weight screen.

I was one of those guys using my digital cam to view the pics, then the trail cam started messing up, I found out that there is a code file on the sd card that is put there by the device that downloads to it AND reads it. So the trail cam stopped working because there was two code files on the SD card and it couldn't read both. The moral of this story is, YOU SHOULDN'T USE YOUR DIGITAL CAMS TO VIEW THE SD CARDS.

I haven't had an issue viewing pics on my buddy's pocket camera, but I reformat the card when it's back in the trail cam. They sell card viewers for around $70+, but I get mixed reviews as far as reliability.

The ipad is a good solution but mighty expensive to be packing into the desert. I will have to keep an eye open for a cheap, used digital camera that takes full size SD cards. Viewing pics on my Droid would be ideal, as I have it with me anyway.

I haven't had an issue viewing pics on my buddy's pocket camera, but I reformat the card when it's back in the trail cam. They sell card viewers for around $70+, but I get mixed reviews as far as reliability.

The ipad is a good solution but mighty expensive to be packing into the desert. I will have to keep an eye open for a cheap, used digital camera that takes full size SD cards. Viewing pics on my Droid would be ideal, as I have it with me anyway.

+1 I have to reformat my cards every time as well

I just read this on a forum:

"There is a micro SD card slot on your phone. I use a micro SD card with an adapter for my camera and frequently take pics with the camera and take out the card and pull out the micro SD card from the adapter and put it into my phone to view/upload pics. An 8 gig card with an adapter was $20."

I will try this with my Droid. It will be great if it works!

"There is a micro SD card slot on your phone. I use a micro SD card with an adapter for my camera and frequently take pics with the camera and take out the card and pull out the micro SD card from the adapter and put it into my phone to view/upload pics. An 8 gig card with an adapter was $20."

That should work if your phone takes a micro SD card. Unfortunately mine is a Verizon phone and dosnt use one. Please let us know if that works.

Yes, I use my iPad to view my trail cams. It works great. It will also save selected pictures to your library . Just get a good case for your iPad for the rough roads...

Hey Lance can you load the pictures onto your Ipad (or just view them), and then after clear them?

I format the cards in the trail cam as well, but there is a file on the card that you can't get rid of by simply formatting it in the camera you have to open the card with your computer and right click the file and delete it.

Yes, I use my iPad to view my trail cams. It works great. It will also save selected pictures to your library . Just get a good case for your iPad for the rough roads...

Hey Lance can you load the pictures onto your Ipad (or just view them), and then after clear them?

Both load and view.

Both load and view.

Right on man. Cant really go wrong with Apple.

that adapter for the ipad wont work for ipod/iphones... and I dont think there is one available yet. I spent a day out checkin my pics only to find out it doesnt work

I had the first Droid that came out a few yrs ago, it takes the micro sd card and it was a Verizon phone. If you have the SD card that you can put a micro sd card in it, that will work on your Droid.

I tried it last night, and it worked. I can see I will have to be careful in the field....

* remove SD adapter/micro-SD from trail cam

* remove micro-SD from adapter

* remove back cover, battery pack, and micro-SD from Droid

* install trail cam micro-SD, then battery pack into Droid

* turn on Droid and view pics

I have the Droid X and my buddy has the Droid II....they both have the micro-SD card next to the battery pack, which requires removing the battery pack to remove the card. Not sure about the newer Droids or the iphones.

• Like 1

I tried it last night, and it worked. I can see I will have to be careful in the field....

* remove SD adapter/micro-SD from trail cam

* remove micro-SD from adapter

* remove back cover, battery pack, and micro-SD from Droid

* install trail cam micro-SD, then battery pack into Droid

* turn on Droid and view pics

I have the Droid X and my buddy has the Droid II....they both have the micro-SD card next to the battery pack, which requires removing the battery pack to remove the card. Not sure about the newer Droids or the iphones.

Thanks for doing that and sharing the information!

Well they have them on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-OTG-Memory-Card-Reader-5-IN-1-Samsung-Galaxy-i9100-S2-i9220-/260978890238

My suspicion from reading a lot of forum info is that it is not a plug and play and there will be a software component required, even then it may not work. If there was an easy fix it would be all over the Android tablet forums as it seems like there are a lot of folks trying to figure this out.

I pull out the card in my Android phone or camera to view. I will probably start using the new iPad as the screen is way to good to not take advantage of. The next iPhone is spposed to have a larger display which may be perfect, we will see.