Willyhunts2

Smoking trout

I would think apple wood would be awesome for that. Of course lots of people would use hickory. I would leave the skin on, but that's just my preference. There is a little fat and oil in the skin and I find fat always absorbs smokey flavor better than just flesh.

I love smoked trout. It is the only way to eat the new stockers G&F places in the lakes.

I have found the most important step is to brine the trout for 24hours. Leave the skin and head on. Do a low temp smoke for 4-5 hours.

I have used hickory, maple, apple, and even mesquite and enjoyed all of them. It is a matter of taste.

I also love smoked trout - the only way I'll eat it. +1 on apple or pretty much any fruit tree. Peach and pecan trees are great too. I also agree on the brine and skin-on suggestions. I like a little brown sugar in the brine too - and tend to baste the fish from time to time as it smokes with the same brine.

Be sure to roll it good and tight and don't puff to deep the first couple of drags. I prefer a clip to hold it so I can smoke every last bit.