Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

good quality light weight rain gear

I've been researching this for hours here & elsewhere. I just can't seem to find anything with great reviews for what I need or maybe they don't make it?

I need rain gear top & bottom that is lightweight, packs easily, I won't sweat horribly in in warm weather, has button or zip pant legs, be able to purchase pieces separately, quiet material that won't tear as I'm in desert and heavy brush a lot, and most importantly that doesn't leak. my old set is OK from bass pro but in a downpour the cuffs leak but yes it was pouring a lot when that happens. it also gets hot inside. I do not need the rain gear for warmth.

I bought a little more expensive set from bass and tried it out recently and it was like wearing plastic. I'm wanting to spend under $150.

any suggestions?

thx

Gore-Tex is your standard go to, which can be found in sitka and most mountaineering grade rain gear. In recent years, NeoShell and OmniDry have emerged into the game, as well as others. I have a nice lightweight packable rain jacket in OmniDry that has always kept me dry and I have put it through some fairly rough terrain without it ripping yet. If you are looking for something that is camo, then your best bet is either Sitka our Kuiu. Personally, I have never tried out either Sitka or Kuiu, but there are plenty of discussions on line in regards to which is better.

Cabela's Dry-Plus® Space Rain™ Ultra Pack Rain

Not a $150. I don't know if they sell it in women's. I bought it a few years ago and love it. Its super light and compact. Fits into a bag the size of a soda can(top in one and bottoms in another)Its as quiet as I could find for the $$. I can put it on without taking off my boots. I was on a wilderness elk hunt and it rained for 3 days straight. I went hunting every day all day and kept dry. ( except for hands and feet) I would go through thorny brush with it! I tore a hole in the pants and Cabelas warranty is awesome. They will exchange it no questions asked doesn't matter when you bought it. Cabelas Brand only.

I'd go with Kuiu, a hunting buddy had a pair and they were legit. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. What's the use of keeping the rain off you when you're pouring with sweat cuz of your rain gear?

Sitka is very nice equipment! Cheapest raingear would be black trashbags :lol: they are waterproof and the black ones absorb the heat.

So how do I talk my husband into spending $500 on Kuiu? should be a one time purchase that would help me be prepared and comfortable while out and about outdoors. Hmmmmm.

You dont. Its crazy to spend that much on some dang rain gear!

I bought a used set that has been wonderful for about $60 or so a few years ago. Its awesome! Its not super duper light weight, but its breathable and quiet.

Naturegirl, don't listen to Casey (firstcoues). He obviously hasn't owned a quality set of raingear and therefore doesn't know the difference ;).

My vote would also go to Kuiu. Best raingear available at any price, but is less expensive than Sitka or equivalent. It's very lightweight and packable, breathes well - just awesome stuff. Raingear is one item you don't want to go cheap on. It'll bite you when you need it most.

Don't knock it until you try it. I would also recommend some of the Merino wool long Johns from Sitka or Kuiu. You will never try another. They are so comfortable it is actually a pleasure to wear them. When it is time to turn it into high gear and get after something it changes from keeping you warm to keeping your body at a normal temp. It actually does wick away the moisture just as the other guys claim and don.t wick a thing away. Also you can wear the same set for a week and it will hardly smell at all. Just go try some on and check it out

I just saw that Camofire has the Sitka Stormfront jacket in medium only. There is only an hour left in the sale, and they are almost out. I wish I saw this earlier. This is what you want for quality rain gear...only $110!