Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

good quality light weight rain gear

Naturegirl, don't listen to Casey (firstcoues). He obviously hasn't owned a quality set of raingear and therefore doesn't know the difference ;).

My vote would also go to Kuiu. Best raingear available at any price, but is less expensive than Sitka or equivalent. It's very lightweight and packable, breathes well - just awesome stuff. Raingear is one item you don't want to go cheap on. It'll bite you when you need it most.

Actually, the stuff that I have is good stuff, just because it's not 'designer stuff' like Kuiu or Sitka doesnt mean its not good stuff, but thanks for coming out. Since I live and hunt in Southern Arizona 99% of the time, it doesn't rain on me much but the two times I have used it it has been great.

Actually, the stuff that I have is good stuff, just because it's not 'designer stuff' like Kuiu or Sitka doesnt mean its not good stuff, but thanks for coming out. Since I live and hunt in Southern Arizona 99% of the time, it doesn't rain on me much but the two times I have used it it has been great.

Ahhhh Casey, you're so cute. Designer? Come on. Try minimalist, lightweight, and functional without frills. Kinda the opposite of designer. Not to mention EXACTLY what the OP asked for. Obviously there are less expensive brands that are still nice, I just gave my opinion on what was best. I figure, buy once cry once, peace of mind, so on, so forth. I was just joshin' you homeboy.

This may sound stupid, but hear me out. A few years ago Old Navy was doing a "blowout sale". I bought 4 or 5 nylon parkas that fold up into their own pocket about 6x4 inches and maybe 3 inches thick. They are totally compact, and I've sat out huge downpours in those things. I think I paid around $5 each and I keep one in my truck, one in my pack, 3 in our camper.

They aren't "top of the line" raingear, but when you're out hunting and rain or snow starts coming in, they are fantastic. I just keep watching Old Navy to see if they ever offer them again. If they do, I'll buy at least another 3 - 5 of them.

Ahhhh Casey, you're so cute. Designer? Come on. Try minimalist, lightweight, and functional without frills. Kinda the opposite of designer. Not to mention EXACTLY what the OP asked for. Obviously there are less expensive brands that are still nice, I just gave my opinion on what was best. I figure, buy once cry once, peace of mind, so on, so forth. I was just joshin' you homeboy.

Many buddies including myself have fallen to the wise words "of buy once cry once" the crying was dam near unbearable but everyones Cabelas, Southwest Cards are almost paid off.

I'm going with Kuiu. I have tried the more affordable gear and its not what I want. I've used my rain gear many times every year up north and down south. last Jan I chased deer for days down south in the rain. I'm ready to stay dry!

Check Russell Outdoors APXg2. Pretty affordable for performance wear. Sportsmans Warehouse carries it. I have several pieces, but I still have the Cabelas packable stuff for rain...very packable, but not very breathable. It's held up well, but I have to be careful in the brush.

Good thread! Lots of good input and so maybe, unfortunately for some I'll add my .02.

Before the hunting industry had outfits like Kuiu and Sitka hunters relied on Cabelas and BPS and the like. While they provided 'waterproof clothing', it often came at a cost of bulk, price and reliability.

Many mountaineering hunters and sheep hunters turned to outdoor mountaineering and backpacking companies for good quality rain gear, Marmot, Mtn Hardwear and OR etc provide a good reasonably priced rain gear sans camo for around 200.00 per set (altho Marmot had a camo run about 5 years ago that was leftover from supplying our US troops). The clothing is lightweight and very packable. Has mens and womens size runs and typically has drab colors available.

Anyways, another comapny that has an excellent product for cost and used by hunters and fishers alike is Helly Hansen. Their Impertech gear often comes in camo and has some stretch factor for comfort and takes some abuse. Although it looks like the cheap PVC ponchos and rain gear it performs well and takes the abuse outdoorsmen and women throw at it.

Is used to be the norm that true rain gear wasnt breathable, technology has allowed companies to create waterproof and somewhat breathable gear. Wearing this type of clothing is about temp regulation and layering to optimally stay dry.

As someone else stated Goretex has become the standard for rain and outdoor gear. That stuff works down in the lower 48 but going to places like Alaska, New Zealand and parts of Canada and pacific NW will jut give you a pricey, heavy and waterlogged 'rain suite' that youll hate. Swazigear is one successful company that makes Goretex clothing that works in really wet & humid areas. I wouldnt call their clothing line lightweight but it does a bomber job keeping one dry and warm.

Another company came out with some amazing camo and solid colors about 3 years ago. I cant remember the name but it was very high end and pricey ~700 for a suit. Awesome camo that worked in almost any terrain and environment, the company was nearly awarded the contract for supplying our troops but was beat out by the Digicam supplier..

I too am of the mantra to pay once cry once and certainly rain gear can be in this category.

For most of us that hunt in the southwest and lower 48, we wont need to spend more than a few hundred for rain gear. However, if you want the camo factor and quality that Sitka and Kuiu produce youll spend top dollar, BUT you are also making an investment in waterproof gear that you can take around the world and it will perform in any situation.

Anyways, Ive rambled..

Personally, I think although important, camo is often overrated, I have good friends that operate successful outfits in Alaska that will tell their hunters the same thing. However, it doesnt hurt to set yourself up to be that much more prepared for the situation where you need to get a lil closer.

Additional companies that would be worth checking out that supply rain gear are:

Peter Storm

Columbia

Go Lite

Sierra Designs

Patagonia (expensive and reportedly anti hunting but Ive never done the research to find if this is true).

Good luck on the search for the product that meets your needs.

so I bought Kuiu lightweight rain gear and so far I'm extremely impressed. I used it a couple times last week and will use it again this week if mother nature okays it.

the quality of the workmanship is very very good. kept me cool when sweating and kept me warm when weather turned a bit chilly. I didn't use it yet in a downpour but it was sprinkling pretty good. the only downfall so far is the length of the medium pants (too long for 5'4" and the material isn't as quiet as my other suede rain suit.

I got it on clearance and saved $75 each piece but it was not returnable. I took a chance and so far I'm glad I did. I got mediums both pieces with enough room to layer under it.

I was able to use my new rain gear in complete downpours this past weekend and it was wonderful and i was bone dry. if u get warm , there are zippers on the outside of each leg and also armpits.

I'm not overly fond of the camo color up north here but it should be fine. we took pics of how it blended and it really wasn't too great. it should be good down south. I probably should've gotten the olive. I'm still thrilled with how its working out so far.

Try making the photos black and white and see if that helps the camo blend in. While not totally color blind, deer don't see reds and most greens so B&W will give you a pretty good idea. Here is my favorite example of how Kuiu's Vias blends in and breaks up your outline even though the background colors wern't a perfect match:

post-1287-0-36955200-1345745476_thumb.jpg

So how do I talk my husband into spending $500 on Kuiu? should be a one time purchase that would help me be prepared and comfortable while out and about outdoors. Hmmmmm.

Hmmmmm is right on. Will probly get you just about anything you want.......