huntjunkie

How close would you let it get?

A couple of weeks ago I was setting out cameras with my Dad. We climbed out of a canyon to a bench that we wanted to put a camera. I stopped to catch my breath. I look through the trees and see a tuff of blonde hair(no... not a blonde). Suddenly i realize that its a bear lifting up rocks looking for bugs. It had no idea we were there. So we just stood there and watch it for a while. It was really neat to watch a bear just doing it thing. I had never see one lift up rocks before. It just meanders around and well watch the video. Keep in mind we had no camo on standing in the open. No bear spray, only a 22-250 on Dads shoulder.

Eye sight is close enough no need to get closer or let it get closer. I carry my Ultramag in bear country,I have 4 on my trailcam. I would like to see one, but not have a confrontation with one. I would hate myself to have to put a bear down if it came after me what it's natural instinct is to do so. Looking forward to watching your video man!

I've had some pretty close encounters with bears along the Black River over the years. Usually, it's young bears probably on their first months away from momma bear and they are interested in fish. When that has happened, they were on the opposite bank as I was cleaning fish and I would toss the carcasses toward them. They usually shied(sp?) off but came back later to eat the scraps that made it to the other bank.

From what I've seen the bears we have are not very aggressive. Most see a human and bolt out of there like a wary deer. Some down around the Black get a little bold. I've seen them break into cars and get in camp late at night.

I would hate to shoot a bear out of fear, but there have been some fatal maulings in AZ over the years. Best practice is, give 'em some room, when they know you are there and don't run off on their own, it's probably good to give them a good scare. It's a lose-lose when they they aren't scared of humans. We end up with busted up camps, and they usually end up dead.

I've had some pretty close encounters with bears along the Black River over the years. Usually, it's young bears probably on their first months away from momma bear and they are interested in fish. When that has happened, they were on the opposite bank as I was cleaning fish and I would toss the carcasses toward them. They usually shied(sp?) off but came back later to eat the scraps that made it to the other bank.

From what I've seen the bears we have are not very aggressive. Most see a human and bolt out of there like a wary deer. Some down around the Black get a little bold. I've seen them break into cars and get in camp late at night.

I would hate to shoot a bear out of fear, but there have been some fatal maulings in AZ over the years. Best practice is, give 'em some room, when they know you are there and don't run off on their own, it's probably good to give them a good scare. It's a lose-lose when they they aren't scared of humans. We end up with busted up camps, and they usually end up dead.

Very well said Coach there are some Tough as Nails black bears in Az. But no where near a brown/grizzly bear status when they see you they see a Prime Rib standing there.

Having worked in alaska and co workers been attacked by black and grizz bears, we having a saying, shoot now and ask questions later, 15 yards and walking sideways is the closest I will let a bear near me,

Sorry for the delay! Trying to figure out this friggin Mac.

Hey man I can chime in and help. What are you having trouble with? Best way Ive found is load it to youtube,or vevo and post the link.

I have pulled my GLOCK out of its holster and had a 3 second stare down with a bear I had shot in the face with an arrow during archery season at about 10 yards. I just about squoze the trigger, but it turned and headed away from me. I am somewhat hesitant to pull the trigger during archery season or while I am in an area closed to bear hunting, because G&F will NOT ever let you keep that bear. That being said, if I am fearing for my life, that bear will eat lead regardless of anything else.

• Like 1

A few years ago a bear kept coming at my son and I during an archery elk hunt. I finally hit it with the water bottle I pulled out of my pack and it took off.

She stopped at 20'! I'm 99% sure this is the bear that eat my deer last year(post "My deer, well whats left"). Same area, same color/markings. When she runs away you can hear her sending her cubs up a tree. She only ran about 100yrds, looked back at us making that hissing noise off and on for about a minute.

I have had several bear closer than I would like. Most were because the client I was predator calling for froze and didn't shoot. Had a couple at 15 feet, and a few that stood on their hinds legs only 5 yards away to get a better look at me. The best one was a lion that I called into 4 feet... Never felt the need to pull my pistol and shoot. Those are some of the best campfire stories I have...

Thats hilarious!! Not scared of bears but a lion....they kinda get my attention!

For some reason the last few years i have had more close encounters with bears. None were aggressive, I'm sure that one is coming.

I'm with you, if I were to just happen upon an animal in the woods the lion would make me much more nervous than the bear. Can't really say why though.