Sign in to follow this  
kennyazman

how do you get the "new" smell out of your ground blind

I got a new ground blind for the upcoming archery hunt. I just opened it up and set it up in my house to see how easy it is to set up and I couldn't help but notice the strong "out of the box" plastic smell. What do you guys do to get that smell out. I was thinking of setting it out in the backyard for a few days to let it air out. Also I am going to put the blind up where I plan to hunt about 10 days before the opener. Any other advice? I usually make a ground blind out of brush. This is my first time with this type of ground blind.

Set up in back yard, spray down with a little water let dry then spray down with some scent killer. Icut some foilage from area that i hunt in and break it up then put it in bag when you put blind back in bag. Thats what i have done in the past and has worked for me,good luck.

where are you hunting with it? if at a water hole, dunk it in the pond. if an area where there are cattle wipe it down with cow pies. or just spread dirt on it and hose it off. if your in the desert creasote bushes have a strong smell and keep the bugs away. be creative. ;)

Get it out of the house and into the field!

I can't talk, I've owned a popup for four years, and have NEVER used it! :lol:

Ill be in natrual blinds this year. I hunted a pop up last year and that the most ive ever sweat. I just set them up where the wind normaly blowed away from the most likely approach.

Open it in the backyard and spray it down inside and out with the hose, while your at it leave it out for a day so the sun takes any of the sheen off of it. The duck and goose hunting crowd wipe them down with mud so there is no glare, just food for thought. Before you put it away spray it down with a bottle of your favorite sent blocker product, probably not necessary but for another $5-$6 seems worth it to me.

Runningbird had some really good suggestions. When I used to varmint hunt a lot I would walk through the cow pies to get the journey started.

thanks for the advice guys. I like the idea about the cow pies. I'll have to try that.

" if your in the desert creasote bushes have a strong smell and keep the bugs away."

Now I understand why you need the creasote bushes.... :wacko:

I would not worry about the "new blind smell" one bit. Worry about stinky human smell more.

Nothing beats a few days in-place where you'll be hunting it so that they get used to seeing it. Bobbyo said it best- human smell will trump chinese nylon/plastic smell in the deer-danger scale any day.